Saving previous choices while skipping a chapter instead of rereading it

Hi, guys! Does anyone know, if a reader picks “skip” option instead of rereading the chapter, how can we code it so that the choice he made before will count?

1 Like

If you mean a choice they made in the chapter they skipped, you can’t.

1 Like

Oh, so if there was a choice that will affect the story then it’ll be a glitch in the future episodes?

If you want the choice to be remembered you shouldn’t add a skip option. I am not very advanced when it comes to coding and have not used choices that matter in my story yet so I can’t tell you exactly but a while ago one of the authors I follow was constantly asked for a skip option as her chapters are really long as in can take up to two hours to read. She uses choices that add bonus scenes in the story if you play your cards right, she said she can’t add a skip option in these chapters as it will affect her point system also I read post on instagram a few months back on it and they said you can’t or it will mess it up so if there was a way surely they would have said.

1 Like

as far as I know if the reader is forced to reread the chapter (because you did some changes to last chapter) it will reset all his progres in this chapter so you cant code it so it will remember them if he will skipp it it will be like he never did the choice.

Due to the resetting done by episode I dont think there is posibilitiy how to change this. Therefore peopel with remembered choices and point system do not use skipp option.

2 Likes

I got you, thank you so much for such a detailed answer!!!

1 Like

Yep, got it now:) Thank you for your explanation!!!

1 Like

Which author is that?

@ tee.stories on Instagram

What everyone else is saying is correct, and if you want choices to be remembered they will have to play through the chapter. However, if it is just one major choice they have to make (as opposed to every choice earning the reader points), you can always do something like:

NARRATOR
Have you already played this episode?

choice “Yes.” {

NARRATOR
Do you want to replay or skip this episode?

choice “Replay.” {

goto episode_start

} “Skip.” {

NARRATOR
Remind me, who did MAIN CHARACTER choose as her prom date?

choice (PROM) “CHARACTER 1.” {

} “CHARACTER 2.” {

}

NARRATOR
Good choice!

goto episode_end

}

} “No.” {

goto episode_start

}

And then the following episode you would code it the same way you would as if they had played the full chapter!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!! This sounds like a perfect solution!!!:+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.