Saying Goodbye to the Social Feed

Tbh I was wondering if this sort of thing was an issue with it. I feel like the last thing we need is another place for authors to get treated poorly. Not to mention that more people on the social feed would (probably?) mean way more requests for things constantly if everyone had the feature. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Episode is not a social app. Itā€™s for interactive story telling. Idk why they bothered with it in the first place. If youā€™re going to consider branching out into social media you need to consider the prospects of such things happening.

5 Likes

Nobody asked for my feedback! I actually really like the social feed, I will be sad to see it go :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

welp, so that happened
I have it but honestly it doesnā€™t really so much if you donā€™t have thousands of followers

Donā€™t worry, I reported it to Episode and sent screenshots to The Episode creators account on insta. My issue was that there was no way of reporting for the specific reason for grooming/a potential danger to themselves or others.

3 Likes

I had the social feed for as long as Iā€™ve had Episode, and I love it. Iā€™ve made so many friendships and built something so special with the community there. I really think the issue is that not everyone has it. So why not give it to everyone rather than get rid entirely? Episode social is one of the only places I feel accepted and loved as I am, and Iā€™m sure itā€™s the same for many others. Please donā€™t take that away from us.

6 Likes

Honestly I think the reason why it didnā€™t improve most peopleā€™s experience is because that featured section had so many random people on it clogging up the feed with pointless and random posts and it led to people not checking it as often. I canā€™t tell you how many times I tried to check the featured social feed and had to scroll through dozens of posts from random people Iā€™ve never heard of announcing that they had chicken for dinner or that they broke up with their boyfriend and are sad or that they broke a nail. I can guarantee thatā€™s a reason why people didnā€™t use it. You all could have tried to at least figure out how to make the experience better instead of throwing the whole thing out.
What was a good feature was the ability to announce on the app instead of social media when you updated or started a new story, and the ability to share other peopleā€™s stories. It would have been nice if we could have at least kept that feature with the option to block comments. I feel like it would have been much better if everybody would have had a chance to use it and if we only have the share story feature. Itā€™s a shame to see it go because it had good potential and probably just needed a few tweaks, but Episode is really good at releasing things half done, never improving the features, and then taking the half done features away because nobody can use them properly (see: mobile creation).

16 Likes

I also never got the social feed but always wanted itā€¦ felt it would have been more useful than trying to promote my stories externally via Instagram or something. Wish this would have been rolled out to a larger test group, then maybe they would have seen better results and kept the feature :disappointed:

3 Likes

Does this mean that the issue with logging into your account from an iPhone if you previously had an android will be fixed?

I rarely comment, so forgive me if I donā€™t know the rules.

I think if this is rolled out to everyone, it would be helpful to many. Iā€™ve heard from a few people who benefited from it. I personally think itā€™s a good idea to be able to communicate with your fans, rather than using a third-party app (Instagram). Not everyone has Instagram.
I understand that you received unsatisfactory reports that it didnā€™t help some, but I think itā€™s because not everyone knows about it.
Iā€™ve heard people talk about it and like many, I was looking forward to it. Itā€™s a shame.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t know all this was going on. I donā€™t have it, but I think Episode should reconsider removing it. It can be helpful to a lot of people. Perhaps they could limit or restrict posts that are not Episode related. I think that could be regulated.

3 Likes

Hi.
Iā€™m one of the lucky ones that got access to the feed.
I may have been able to talk with my favorite authors, the best part of it was being able to talk with all of the other users that had it.
You canā€™t count the amount of beautiful people I met there. You canā€™t see all the beautiful friendships created thanks to the feed. And you probably wonā€™t see how many people you made angry right now. As well as you didnā€™t realised that a lot of them will leave the app because of you removing the feed.
You based your judgment on what people who (for most of them) donā€™t have the feed, and instead of, maybe, developing it and making it available for everyone, you decided to delete it.
Thereā€™s probably so much more than that behind that decision, because clearly you didnā€™t take the comments telling you that the feed is DEFINITELY enhancing our experience. And I feel like you donā€™t go a lot on the feed because hereā€™s what you missed :
You missed all the people sticking together against bullying, harassment, racism, homophobia, and threat. Yes, you did miss them fighting against those awful people, you missed them all reporting those people to you, you missed them making posts to warn everyone.
You also missed all those peopleā€™s friendships. And you may not see it but the feed allowed us to meet people from all around the world, talk about anything and everything with them, share our interest on different Episode stories, help each other (because yes, thereā€™s a lot of negativity on the feed, and people talk about it without feeling ashamed because this is one of the only places where you are ACCEPTED for who you are and HELPED when you have a problem).
You missed all the amazing events we created without you seeing it. You missed the epi Oscars from last year which gathered a lot of people, voting for their friends and favorite people. You missed a lot of fake weddings between friends from all around the world who were having a lot of fun. You missed all the posts created for peopleā€™s birthday.
You missed so so much more.
And one thing you will definitely miss is all of the users that are going to leave your app because you decided to remove the feed. As well as youā€™ll miss the money youā€™re making thanks to the feed, and thanks to all those people.
Because I donā€™t know if you saw it or not, but right now on Episode, all the feed users are really pissed, theyā€™re trying to fight for the feed, for their friendships. Theyā€™re exchanging social media accounts so they can keep their friendships going and some of them only have Episode.
So I wish you good luck in the future for Episode, because I will most definitely donā€™t see it if the feed isnā€™t here anymore.

5 Likes

I had a few nasty messages left on one of my posts. I reported it, but having the ability to block would have been really useful.

7 Likes

Iā€™m honestly glad Episode Social is being deleted. I didnā€™t like it. Someone already mentioned this above and I agree. Some people probably didnā€™t like the feed because of all the random posts that had nothing to do with writing that would fill up the feed. I liked that people who donā€™t have social media were able to use this as a way to promote their story, but not all the nonsense posts. Iā€™m sorry for those who didnā€™t get to try the social feed though. Hopefully Episode will come up with some new feature that will be available to everyone.

5 Likes

The feed served me zero purposes, to be completely honest. Not only because I have a small following, but because I find episode forums and Instagram way more useful. I wonā€™t be missing it, lmao.

2 Likes

Why are you removing episode social?? That is the SOLE way a lot of us are able to communicate and share story recommendations! I now have 3,000 followers because I focus on promoting hidden gems and stories by small authors that I have read. And a lot of those stories go on to break 1K when they started out only having a few reads. How else are they going to get their opportunity to shine? You should roll it out to everyone before making that decision. This app NOT having social capabilities available to all is the reason why so many of us have to rely on instagram, because it is the only way to keep up with authors who donā€™t have access to the social feature. PLEASE re-think this. If you remove it, youā€™re going to be forcing everyone to have to rely on IG only, which is NOT helpful for small authors. Donā€™t take away something that isnā€™t broken. Instead, you should focus on how to make it available to everyone. i wouldnā€™t need an IG account if everyone had episode social. Thatā€™s literally the only reason I go on IG.

5 Likes

Because it isnā€™t being used correctly. If they made it available to everyone, we wouldnā€™t have to rely on IG. Thatā€™s ridiculous that we need to have another app just to keep up with episode related things. This is the only way we can promote stories of small authors and get the word out about them. I have 3K followers on here, and that just from promoting stories Iā€™ve read that need more reads.

4 Likes

*Correction, the feed was one of the many ways to promote smaller authors and their stories.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about! The social feed is the only thing that allows us to do that. So why remove it?

2 Likes

Because people wanna post about random things like ā€œOh, so this girl did this to me at school todayā€ and ā€œMy dog peed on my couch.ā€ Thatā€™s irrelevant to Episode and Episode writing. The feature was meant for writing purposes and some used the feature just to troll and write random things. All this stuff would fill up the feed and thatā€™s why some didnā€™t like the social feature and I believe thatā€™s why the feature is being deleted.

Episode is a story telling app. Not a social media platform. :woman_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes