Self Doubt Help!

genchat
general
community
opinion

Hello lovelies :slightly_smiling_face:

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how to deal with self doubt?

I’m currently writing a story for the new Fantastical contest, I’ve written all of Chapter One and I’m proud of what I have so far but I have some serious self doubt about it at the same time :woman_facepalming:t3:
I have severe anxiety issues anyway but with the self doubt too, I’m struggling to see myself enter yet another contest I would love to participate in.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that helps them tackle the little voice in their head that might help?
I really want to enter this as Fantasy is my key genre but with the way things are at the moment I’m unsure if I’ll have the courage to do it.

I’ll be grateful for anything :hugs:

I think that you need to remember that there ARE haters out there. But for every hater, there are usually 2 lovers. I have a similar problem but I remember that I am doing this because i love writing. If someone doesn’t like it, they don’t have to read it.

I actually have another Episode account with 2 stories which I’ve had to take a hiatus from because of awful comments I was receiving after I wasn’t able to update :confused:

But the weird thing is, the thought of haters isn’t the problem. I think my anxiety has gone into overdrive making me doubt my abilities as an author.

well, you were able to write episode 1 already right? Then you have the abilities needed.

Same I have pretty bad social anxiety, every time you read a comment from a hater start to laugh, then grab a pillow then scream in it. This seems to work for me, or just do what makes you happy, and listen to happy and upbeat music!

I think you may have misunderstood slightly, I can write as many chapters as I want; however, when it comes to publishing I will stop myself. The story I’m using for the contest is a story I’ve already had partially written which I am adapting for the contest. I’ve just finished adapting chapter one and the prospect of chapter two is making my anxiety rise.

I usually tell myself to fuck off either out loud or in my head :joy:

I’m agoraphobic so I have to do that to bring myself to go outside.

Well one thing you could do would be to get a writing partner but idk. I have a different problem than you so I’m a little confused. Here’s what you could do?: Don’t even think and just click the buttons.

It’s a difficult thing to explain in depth but ‘just clicking the buttons’ isn’t going to solve it.

I’m sorry. I wish I could help. I really do. :frowning:

I appreciate the effort to help :+1:t3:

Girl, you are a GREAT writer and YOU know IT!! You are talented and you should know that. People don’t have to love or like what you write, but DO YOU!! You got this! I BELIEVE!! Tell yourself " I can do this!!" Girl, I got you!!

When it comes to your writing, you have to trust yourself. If you’re proud then it’s good. All forms of art are very subjective. Not everyone is going to like a piece. What matters is that you like it. Put it out there and you will find others who will support you. Pay attention to them and to your own intuition.

Oh,wow! Thank you very much, your comments are very much appreciated and have definitely given me the small confidence boost to continue Chp. 2 tonight :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Thank you. I like my story very much and I’m proud of it but I can’t help but tell myself 'it can be better’, which is most likely the reasoning behind the anxiety surrounding the thought of publishing it.

Take that anxiety and use it as fuel rather than a hinderance. Push yourself to do better because you wish too.

Thank you, hopefully if the anxiety creeps up again this will help :slightly_smiling_face:

I would suggest you not to think about readers’ opinion. You can’t predict or influence that and it doesn’t make sense either since there are many people in the community and they all think in a different way.
I usually don’t have self doubt but before I entered my first contest recently, I also heard those annoying voices in my head.
Every first time I reread the story I was like “no, this is way too sarcastic, people won’t get this”, but with every second read I felt: “boy, what’s wrong with me, this is good”. I finally pushed the publish button just right before the deadline. I still don’t know if my dilemma was legit or not because I barely receive any reads or feedback, but I know I would have been mad at myself if I hadn’t tried. So once you are ready, take a deep breath and hit that button :wink:

D’ont think about how others might like your story. The most important person is yourself. When you love your story then it’s just it. Trust yourself and your first impression because the first is mostly the right! The most important thing is that you love writing and you write for yourself in the first place. Believe in yourself!!! xo

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Although some of the anxiety stems from what others may think, the main cause is my judgement towards myself which is possibly why I’m struggling with it so much as appose to the usual feelings of anxiety.
I can definitely empathise with you about your comments, so thank you.