Setting Up Two Remembered Choices

Okay, I’m doing a pregnancy story (stop your groaning) and I thought I’d let the readers vote on the baby’s gender. So it’s a fairly straightforward choice between a boy or a girl. Naturally, I want to hold onto this choice. But I can’t seem to format any of it right and all the guides are just confusing me all the more. Help, please?

Hi there, I recommend to check out:

#Example:

NARR
What is the gender of your baby?

choice
“Girl” {

gain girl_baby

} “Boy” {

gain boy_baby

}

#Then later on, to remember it every time for your story:

if (girl_baby) {

#girl baby mentioned

}else{

#boy baby mentioned

}

#For the choice above, when you’re asking if the baby is a boy or a girl, you can even throw in an are you sure option (example below using gains, one way to remember an option from a choice):

label pick_gender

NARR

choice
“Girl” {

NARR
Are you sure the gender of your baby is a girl?

choice
“Yes.” {

gain girl_baby

goto story

} “Let me pick again.” {

goto pick_gender

}
} “Boy” {

NARR
Are you sure the gender of your baby is a boy?

choice
“Yes.” {

gain boy_baby

goto story

} “Let me pick again.” {

goto pick_gender

}
}

label story

#continue story, when you want to remember it:

if (girl_baby) {

#girl baby mentioned

}else{

#boy baby mentioned

}

You could also use the naming the choice method which, IMO, would be a bit better:

label pick_gender

NARR

choice (GENDER)
“Boy” {

} “Girl” {

}

#when you type [GENDER] here (below), the reader sees either Boy or Girl because depending on the option they pick above from the choice, GENDER is assigned to either Boy or Girl:

NARR
Are you sure the gender of your baby is [GENDER]?

choice
“Yes” {

} “No, let me re-pick.” {

goto pick_gender

}

#to remember it:

if (GENDER is “Boy”) {

#script here for baby boy

}else{

#script here for baby girl

}

#Throughout your script, you can also do something like:

MOTHER (talk_neutral)
Cute baby [GENDER].

So if the reader picked, let’s say, Boy, they see: Cute baby Boy. Yes, they will see Boy, not boy with a lowercase b because the exact spelling matters for your choice. Also, remember to test on the app and reset your story progress every time you re-test for the best results.

I read Dara Amarie’s guide before writing this post. It only made me more confused, because I was like, “Okay what kind of choice do I need to set up?” and I’d try to follow the formatting, but it wasn’t working.

I’ll try the advice in your post. Thank you.

Sorry to double-post, but it keeps saying Unexpected IF. What does that mean and what do I do?

Nevermind, I finally worked it out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.