Should a LI show his feeling from the start or gradually

I’ve got 2 versions to the start of the story but I don’t know what’s better to go with help please

EDIT: This is not a romance story it is a mystery

both versions start off the same the MC is on the phone to her boyfriend telling him that she can’t make their date tonight because she has to finish paper work at the police station or else the lawyers representing the persons involved will be suing them for delaying the outcome of the case.
Liam who will be a potential LI is listening and feels bad that she will be missing out as he knows she was looking forward to it.
there is a small scene where the MC looking for the files and talking to work collages and then Liam approaches her saying that he can cover for her as they were working on the case together so it would still be acceptable for him to sort it out. The MC then goes off to make a phone call.
the polices Sargent calls Liam to her office and this is where I have 2 versions

version 1
Sergeant: Staying late tonight?
LIAM: Yeah is that ok?
Sergeant: Well yeah it is but I’m curious is everything ok you seem really low just lately
LIAM: I’m fine it’s just…
LIAM: Forget it, it doesn’t matter
Sergeant:: You know I’m always here if you need to talk. How come your staying late tonight.
LIAM: I heard NAME on the phone earlier, Tom is supposed to be taking her out tonight. But she was telling him that she had to finish up the paperwork on our latest case. I didn’t want her to miss out
Sergeant: is that all?
LIAM: well I known her for since we were born, we’ve grown up together so what kind of a friend would I be if I didn’t care about her. Anyway I better get this paperwork started if I ever want to go home tonight

version 2
Sergeant: Staying late tonight?
LIAM: Yeah is that ok?
Sergeant: Well yeah it is but I’m curious is everything ok you seem really low just lately
LIAM I’m fine it’s just, seeing NAME with that jerk…
Sergeant: That’s not fair, you can’t let your feelings for her cloud your judgement of the guy she’s with
LIAM She is not the reason I hate him, well she partly is but I’ve known them both for a long time and the way he speaks to her and treats her is simply jerk like behaviour.
Sergeant: It’s no secret you like her, I’ve just never understood why you never told her.
LIAM I tried to once but…
Sergeant But what?
LIAM It doesn’t matter anyway bringing up my feelings now isn’t fair on her. Anyway I better get this paperwork started if I ever want to go home tonight
Sergeant: You know where I am if you want to talk

I didn’t know weather to make it clear that he likes her from the start to show the reader they aren’t going to be stuck with their current boyfriend if they don’t want to or slowly unfold the fact that Liam likes her.

and if you have any recommendations please feel free to suggest

• version 1
  • version 2
  • not keen on either (please give feedback)

0 voters

1 Like

Thanks my plan is to make her current boyfriend a bit of a big headed jerk but in such away that it’s shown slowly to make it more realistic. The LI is sort of jealous due to really liking her but thats over shadowed by his kind nature and him just wanting her to be happy, I’m also not going to force the reader to go out with either if them so they can choose to stay with the original guy, Liam or to be single.

This is more of a side story as the main theme is mystery but I felt it needed something to go along with it, but I don’t want to just throw romance in randomly so as they are partners in the story it fits in.

And thank you I’m just about ready to start writing episode 1 finely :joy::joy: it’s taken ages to get this far

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.