Should homework be banned from schools?

Why or why not?

7 Likes

I am neutral on this one,
On the other side its good, it gives students a time to learn on their own.
On the other its bad that it sometimes takes away student’s free time to have fun and unwind from all the “school stress.”

10 Likes

No, homework should not be banned from school. Gives students to learn to do things on their own, and does help from stress, and get mind off things, and makes them having to do something than nothing.

4 Likes

I think that homework should definitely be decreased and the pressure should too. Like if you are not doing work and the teacher shames you for it. You never know someones circumstances. A student could have to look after siblings or even their own parents due to certain reasons. I think it is a good thing to refresh memory but maybe it should be a more optional thing. :woman_shrugging: Or at least the teacher helps instead of shaming. But removing it completely is not a good idea. I have learned valuable things from homework. We should be able to have social lives but it can also teach responsibility.

10 Likes

Yes :skull: obviously for selfish reasons.

Most teachers assign homework not thinking about how the students have other teachers that assign hw as well. And I hate those days when more than one teachers assign pamphlets or whole assignments cause it takes hours to do and I end up getting revenge bedtime procrastination. I like having a life outside of school. And I understand the importance of homework, but I feel like it just snubs that life out of me

I don’t think they should get rid of homework, they should at least make it “optional” for students who want the extra grade

7 Likes

i don’t think that it should be “banned” necessarily, but definitely reduced. unless a student is really struggling and wants extra practice, you should give some to help them out, but not grade them on it.
i think it should be optional or should just be a small amount that’s actually REASONABLE. talking to you teachers out there, we have a life outside of school

9 Likes

Heck ya.
Support. Should be banned from school, college, university n also from work

4 Likes

But I know homework can be stressful, in my country it really isn’t but it all depends on the teachers. :thinking: Now for college, I haven’t been to college/universities because it’s optional to go or not go, so that’s another story.

3 Likes

Teacher’s opinion here.

That sounds like a silly notion to me, but I barely even give out HW as is. I do think some homework is healthy, because it promotes self-learning, a skill which is invaluable later in life. But swamping students in homework doesn’t seem conducive or helpful. So, I try to keep it small.

The bits of homework I give are usually more akin to thought experiments, to help students learn to form their own opinions on subjects. And it’s more interesting to discuss that in class, giving everyone a platform to express themselves in, what I hope, is a safe environment. And I think that’s positive in ever possible way. I might be wrong, but I’ve not heard complaints on the matter, be it from the board, parents or students.

10 Likes

Neutral…
Homework is good to do. But I also hate it. :woman_shrugging: idk. It would be nice for the amount of homework to decrease though.

3 Likes

Here’s my input. :slight_smile:

I am undecided here. Homework can teach students responsibility, and have them review over what they learned in class to test their understanding. They can also get used to completing work, and know the consequences when they don’t turn it in.

However, it doesn’t seem to be helping students, because they say it builds on to their pile of tasks and stress. As a student myself, I just completely dislike homework because sometimes I would be busy with life tasks and I would not want to be punished for not completing. Some of my friends have a ton of missing assignments AND homework because they just don’t have the motivation to complete it, and they might be dealing with a lot already so homework would just stress them out even more. Plus, not to sound rude but the teachers are sometimes complaining about how they have “so much to grade”, yet they don’t think about how some are concerned about what grade an assignment from a long time ago is because the teacher is “still grading.” So, if you have “so much to grade”, then why did you assign so much?

I think the amount of homework given is just wack, so I think instead of banning homework; it would be better if they only give it on certain days in small amounts.

2 Likes

About the teachers grading stuff taking long time… Now, we don’t grade homework here, but going by tests and that kind…

It does take a LOT of time. Remember that we have a multitude of classes, and since the school boards wants tests to be in similar time periods, we tend to get swamped in work. At worst, I’ve spent 70 hours of my week grading tests. As an addition to actual teaching. I have 360 students across three different grades and 9 classes for instance!

So, it does take a ton of time! And we tend to be very grumpy in grading periods as a result of overwork and lack of sleep.

I do understand the frustration of waiting, but we aren’t robots :frowning:

4 Likes

Kind of off topic, but what grade/s do you teach? Just curious.

2 Likes

Middle school here, which is grade 8-10. The kids are 13-16 years old. I’m not sure what equivalent that is to where you are, since every country have their own systems. And I teach social science, history, religion and Norwegian ^~^

3 Likes

I understand, thank you. I just wanted to mention it because majority of my teachers keep saying that so I just got a little upset. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries! I remember full well my own frustrations when I was a student!

2 Likes

Middle school where I live is 6-8th (11-14 year olds)

But very cool! Must be interesting being a teacher

2 Likes

I see! Yeah, here we have primary school (6-12), middle school (13-16) and high school (16-19) and then uni.

It really is! I do adore my kids, and it’s really nice to see that glimpse in their eyes when they begin to understand and open their minds! The highs are definitely worth the lows!

2 Likes

I think that this school system we have should be banned. I mean we’re learning random things a lot of us won’t even need in our lifes. As for homework, no.

1 Like

Ooh Norwegian!!

1 Like