Should homework be banned from schools?

I actually teach haha - I think some skills require additional independent practice that just isn’t possible to do during classroom instruction. but I agree with others how it has become very excessive and IMO the amount does not seem developmentally appropriate. I think students would be better fit by having 10 minutes of home/independent work for each grade level (e.g. grade 1 max of 10 minutes, grade 6 max of 60 minutes cumulative across all classes).

3 Likes

Depends which subject and amount IMO. Like in math? Yes! But honsetly these day school expects to sit there for 7+ hours and then spend 2h to learn for test not to mention homework. At least reduce the amount

1 Like

No I don’t think it should be banned
but I think there should be less and it shouldn’t be the exact same thing we did that day in class When it’s the same thing I just wanna strangle the teacher 🤦

1 Like

Yeah Ik in my school the have a set time table they want you to work off and each year group has different times 🤦
Like 1-3 year are meant to do 1 hour on top of homework 4th yeah is meant to do 2 on top of hw and 5-6th year is meant to do 3hours on top of hw

1 Like

it can for sure be too much NOT TO MENTION pandemic. Everyone says we are sorry for students even tho they squish all the tests

2 Likes

It’s been 6 years since I’ve set foot in a school, and one of my worst memories was the mounds of fucking homework! I do agree that it is good to help kids learn self learning, and the little extra practice will reinforce the lessons… but I’ve spent more nights than I can even remember crying at my parents kitchen table til 10 pm because I had a crap ton to do and I didn’t understand any of it. And there were even a lot of times where we weren’t actually taught what our homework was about so I struggled even more. lowkey scared sh*tless for when my kids start bringing their own homework home.

I can only self teach in creative aspects such as art. But math? English? Absolutely not. And I played sports too. So coming home from practices, or games at 8pm and then having supper to eat, shower AND homework from 5+ classes???

I don’t think it should be banned altogether, but it should definitely be reduced.

1 Like

I personally think that homework shouldn’t be banned because kids need time to learn on their own and teach themselves in how their brains remember the best… But, with that being said I can definitely see the other side of the argument. What they should do is keep homework, but decrease the amount.

1 Like

I’m personally not a fan I never did homework never have help with homework but I passed easily so homework I never gave a effort at all.

But I do like what my son school does is homework is tailored towards the students needs my son school does that an I love it as it’s where he needs the most help and isn’t overwhelmed as I help him and he improved over this style as he getting the additional helps he needs without the other work piled on.

So yes for homework but not swamped with homework just extra work each day on subjects that students are struggling with.

1 Like

yes, i think it should be. everything should be taught within school hours and if it can’t then the specifications need to be cut back a bit. after school should be time for students to unwind and do their own thing not spend even more time working on school. i think this would also motivate us to spend more time studying for tests because we know we have no other additional work piling up. just my thoughts

2 Likes

YES! Or at least reduced to one homework a day!
It’s getting exhausting honestly! These days I can’t keep up with anything! I’m getting at least 4 homework per day and let me tell you each lakes at least 5 pages to write! Keeping in mind that I am currently sick and yesterday I was given 8 fucking homeworks most of them due on Sunday! (we work Sunday-Thursday)
I stay up sometimes until midnight doing homework, memorising for these stupid quizzes that I have 3 day a week, and after I stay up late doing these homeworks… I have to wake up at 5:45 everyday and get ready to go to school! And the teachers actually have the nerve of asking me “Why do you always look so bored and tired in my classes!? If you keep up with this behaviour I’ll have to deduct from your exam mark.” GEE I’M SORRY! I NEVER KNEW IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES TO LOOK TIRED AFTER I DO THE INSANELY HUGE AMOUNTS OF HOMEWORKS YOU DUMP ON US EVERY SINGLE DAY!
It’s enough that I have two little siblings that never shut up! And always keep bothering me wanting me to help them with their own homeworks!

I do my homeworks on my own, I study for tests and exams alone, I do my own laundry, I BRUSH MY VERY CURLY HAIR EVERY MORNING… and after all this everyone expects me to keep my perfect A* s everytime I have tests or exams!

Yes homeworks give students a chance to study on their own, yes they give students a chance to point out what they don’t understand! But when you give us this amount of homeworks per day and expect us to finish them in two days… Then I’m sorry! I’ll have to disappoint you!
If you think we’re robots who don’t deserve a break, that can do all that in 2-3 days… then I should expect my exam mark to be out in 2-3 days as well!
My exams finished a month ago! And I still didn’t get my report!
And when I ask the teachers about them they casually say, “I have more than one class to correct their marks! So stop asking about them! I’ll show you the results when I finish correcting!”
I have more than one teacher giving me homeworks every single day and I do them and send them in ALWAYS before the due date! And yet you can’t give me my papers?
WHY DO THEY EXPECT US TO BE PERFECT WHEN THEY THEMSELVES CAN’T? WHY ARE WE FORCED TO DO THIS?

We have a life outside of school, some people’s parents might be sick and the student helps them. Some have siblings which take care of them. Some could be sick themselves but can’t afford to miss a day of school because they’re afraid they’ll miss too much!

So yes, I do think it should be banned! And if this didn’t explain why they I don’t know what will.

Thank you for your time!

2 Likes

Wow, they would really deduct your grade for being tired? That’s silly! Sorry you have to deal with that

1 Like

yeah well, school sucks! And the teachers even more!
I love Math, Art and all three Sciences. For what reason should I be studying everything else? I’ll never understand :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t think it should be banned I just don’t think everyone should get it. I really despise the way The U.S school system is. It forces children to all learn the same way and kills of the natural love of learning we have as children. I think that it doesn’t factor in metal health (Which I doubt people care about anyway with forcing kids to wake up at 7am and what not) which is so important to me personally. Schools, especially when you get to higher grades also expect you do extracurriculars because “you’ll have a better chance at getting into college” (because everyone wants to go to college :roll_eyes:) and juggling those along with homework, a healthy social life , and metal health can be too much.

Homework for me has never been effective. I once went a whole class only doing classwork, test, quizzes, and projects and still managed to pass the class all year :upside_down_face: I think homework should just be extra work you can do for a better grade. Theres no reason to add on to the workload of teachers and students.

I was gonna talk about more but this isn’t the thread :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Also also also! Homework is hella dumb during the pandemic, all the work is homework :weary:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.