Should I add a female LI to my story?

Hi everyone. I’m writing the fourth episode of my first story so far. I got a question if there was going to be a female LI as currently in the story there is 2 male love interests. They are on the cover and I hadn’t planned to add a female LI.

I haven’t fully plotted my story as I was doing this for fun. So I realized I could add in a female LI in the fifth episode if I change a few things. But I was just wondering if I should? I want to be as inclusive as possible, especially considering the reader can’t choose the gender of the MC. But would it be too hard to have three love interests (coding wise).

What are your guys thoughts?

6 Likes

I think that it’d be worth the hard work! As someone who is still trying to figure out their sexuality, I think it’d be good for people who are gay/bi/straight. But, that’s just my opinion, so…

5 Likes

I think that’s your answer. :eyes:

5 Likes

I would recommend doing it if your goal is to be inclusive and if it wouldn’t be an obvious “add-on” to the story. The thing is, in my opinion, you need a completely different script for a female LI vs. a male LI. It seems a lot of authors unfortunately add a female LI just to be able to say their story is LGBT+, which you can tell by dialogue that doesn’t make any sense for a WLW relationship. So it’s up to you if you want to put in the effort.

5 Likes

It would be an entirely new character with a new personality with the two other male interests still there!

3 Likes

Thanks! Just wanted to know if someone would say no cuz its too hard or something :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

i’d say sure, but do it for the right reasons and not to just slap a label on the story, you know? also make sure the dynamics are right. wlw relationships are a lot different than straight ones… so if you aren’t LGBTQ+ i’d do a little bit of reading before jumping into that as good inclusivity takes quite a bit of work ◡̈

5 Likes

I don’t think adding a character you haven’t thought about would be hard. The thing you might fear most is having to portray a character about whose personality and bio you’re still drafting, while also having to find a way to include her withouth giving the readers the idea you only added her so you could lable the story LGBTQ+ while also having to portray a possibility of romance between the (I presume but could be wrong) female MC and female LI, something that you maybe haven’t explored yet. I’m just saying, I think you’re just afraid to do it because you never did it before and you’re afraid of how it could be (that’s the same reason everybody is afraid of death, beacause nobody knows what awaits them on the other side and not knowing is frightening). I think you should just take the leap and try it out, because if you don’t experience with adding a female LI now, when will you get to experience it? Of course you can always postpone it until the next time you get such an opportunity, but if you keep doing that one would think you might never get to doing it.

also I agree, I think you should research a little before doing anything you’re unfamilliar with

2 Likes

Thanks for the response!

2 Likes

Thanks for your response :smiley:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.