Should there be a warning preceding bright flashing lights?

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, I have no clue where to post it!

Does anyone add a warning before certain episodes that contain bright flashing lights (i.e. quick transitions)?

I don’t want to trigger anyone who may have a degree of photosensitive epilepsy, but I don’t know if quick transitions would be enough to trigger any sort of reaction.

[quick transitions would look like this:
@transition fade out white in .2
@transition fade out white in .2]

If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know!

4 Likes

I’ve seen some authors do this, I’d definitely do it for those that are affected by it. Particularly those that suffer from photosensitive epilepsy.

1 Like

It’s better to add a warning or a skip option for flashing lights so the readers who have epilepsy aren’t affected by the fast transitions. I added a skip option in my current story too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Always put a warning and if possible add a skip option, I am currently making my story more accessible one of the things I do is this
(You could use gains if you prefer) I use characters so it can be turned on/off throughout the story. I ask the question right at the start of the episode.

Narrator
This scene contains flashing images would you like to turn them off?

choice
“Turn off” {
@FLASH =0
}
“Turn on” {
@FLASH =1
}

INT.Background…

(Insert scene)

if (FLASH =1) {
@speechbubble reset
}

continue scene

For some reason using sounds/transactions in if/else doesn’t work but adding “@speechbubble reset” allow the if/else statement to work. However if you do need to have the speech bubble at a certain place, replace the “@speechbubble rest” to what ever placement the speechbubble needs.

Alternatively you can have to separate scenes one with flash and one without.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.