Should you include diversity in a story?

Hi, I’m starting to write my first story on Episode and I have noticed here on the fourms that having a diverse cast is important, but I’m slightly confused by what that means. I don’t want to offend anyone by getting something wrong. If anyone can help me out, that would be great.

1 Like

You will always offend someone, if you get it wrong ask for the right info. Diversity is including characters of different cultural backgrounds or ethnicities.

10 Likes

You should include diversity if you want to do it with the right intentions: to make your readers feel included and show characters from different backgrounds and give underrepresented voices representation. If you want to do it because you feel like you have to, or to be politically correct, or gain brownie points then you’re better off not in my opinion. Just write what you want and if diversity is something that you want then you will actually enjoy adding it to your stories.

3 Likes

Diversity isn’t just religion and skin tones its also different cultures, sexuality’s also don’t feel obligated to add all that. No matter how good your story is there is always going to be someone who hates it.

4 Likes

me: reads title
also me: “YES, IS THAT A QUESTION?”

JK

Diversity meaning difference, in a story it is common to have different genders, sexualities, cultures, ethnicity(s)

3 Likes

And don’t use them to use them.

If I made a gay best friend character, with everyone else being straight, that’s dumb. Same if you made a story with full of white characters, then added a black character as a best friend, and just had them talking like Cardi B or that Dr Phil kid (“Ever since I started using guys, I feel so much better about myself. I feel so much more powerful.” -Cardi B.) I HATE HER, IF THAT WASN’T REALLY OBVIOUS ALREADY. Look at literally any original episode story to find both the token gay and token black characters.

1 Like

Lol I hate her too but I don’t know if it’s been deemed unacceptable to have characters ethnically/ racially different but culturally not that different. I’m not sure how to explain it… As if they don’t do stereotypical things that their parents might have?

1 Like

Yeah. I get what you’re saying. I just hate her uses of youknowwhat when neither her, nor her parents are people of color.