Simple tips for beginner writers

communication
general
community
mustread
coding

hey guys! So today I wanted to give you some simple tips. this is for BEGINNERS! If you are advance, these will all feel like second nature!:grin:

1. so have you ever wondered how to put your character’s name on the narrator textbox? Well here’s the code:
    NARRATOR (CHARACTER’S NAME HERE)
    What’s going on?

Then your character’s name will appear above the box!

1. You’re looking at a story for inspiration, then you see how some dialog is either
    BOLD
    Italic
    A different colour
    Or shaking

You want to learn how they do it and you search the web for ‘how to make your text nice and colourful and shaky and bold and italic on episode’. you find nothing. but you’ve come to the right place to find how.

This is how to do it:
Colour changing code (if you’re from the uk you have to spell colour ‘color’)
You have to use this vertical line symbol at the beginning and end of ANY text effect code: |
here are a few colours for you:
|color:red|
|color:rose|
|color:violet|
|color:yellow|
this is how you change the text:
REMEMBER to put text straight after code, no spaces.
|color:yellow|Sup, how are you doing?

the bold and italic codes are simple:
|bold|
|italic|
and finally… shake code:
|shake:5|
The number ‘5’ at the end is how fast you want it to shake; 1 is the slowest and 5 is the fastest.

if you want to do multiple effects, put a comma between them. e.g. |bold, shake:3|

1. you want your two characters doing an emotion at the same time, so you write this:
    @character is talk_agree_happy
    @character2 is idle_angry
    but character2 is doing the emotion after character.

this is really simple to do, instead of putting is, put starts. e.g.
@character starts talk_agree_happy
@character2 starts idle_angry
simple as that!

1. You want to put music in your story, but you have no idea how.
    well, it’s super easy! all you do is this:

music name of music you want

whenever you want to put new music in, just do the same thing but with the new music name.
if you get an error saying ‘this music is already playing, you can’t put new music after.’

then just put ‘music off’ before the new music.

that’s all! if you have any requests or suggestions of what you need help with, please comment!

Thanks for the narrator tip. I used to do it but forgot how. :persevere:
I have a question though…
If I write music off in my script and then put a song immediately after, i’ll get an error saying music off is already playing.
Don’t you need dialogue in between such as inserting a @pause for a beat? Or, am I doing something wrong?

You probably wrote music off right before that, just add @pause for 0 in the middle between the music off and the next music. And did you write the word “music” before the sound’s name?

example:

music music_aggropop

Otherwise it won’t work.

Yes, I usually add @pause for a beat before the next sound.

@Zozox said,
whenever you want to put new music in, just do the same thing but with the new music name.
if you get an error saying ‘this music is already playing, you can’t put new music after.’
then just put ‘music off’ before the new music

I should’ve worded it better. I was asking if I was personally doing something wrong.
If you do what @Zozox mentioned, you’ll get an error. You have to add a pause before you add the next sound/music.

How do you get two characters to enter together?

@CHARACTER enters from left to screen left AND CHARACTER2 enters from left to screen center

thanks!!

Adding sounds is it the same as adding music?

When you add sound command then the sound clip you chose will play only once
If you use the music command then the sound clip loops and play until you decide to turn it off by using the command music off

Thank you

Topic closed due to one month of inactivity.