Small authors, let’s talk about our insecurities of publishing for the first time

Hey guys so I recently entered the squad contest and even though I have high hopes for my story and I’m very proud of the coding, I’m struggling to gain reads.
I’ve realized how difficult it is to become recognized and to actually get people to read your story.
So let’s talk about your insecurities, and see if we can support each other.
I for one think that getting a nice cover is the most hard part for me and I’m not very pleased with my current cover which was made by me.
What do you most struggle with as a small author?

40 Likes

Oof… I think I’m really comfortable with my story hahaha of course sometimes insecurities overwhelmed me like did I create a good description? Do people will read my story even though it doesn’t have an art as a cover? Or will people even like my story? but I always come back to the idea that I’m doing this because how much I love writing and that I’m doing it mainly for me and with that I think I’m doing pretty fine. I really don’t want to be famous or nothing with just a few people reading my story I’m more than happy:)

12 Likes

my main insecurity is getting fanmail about representing a character or a situation with misleading facts. i spend a lot if time researching and educating myself but i’m afraid it’s not enough and i’ll make a mistake.

16 Likes

mine is just will people actually read it cause man i work so hard on these and if i get no reads then did it really pay off :confused:?

12 Likes

Yeah I love writing on episode and all I want is for people to enjoy my stories

7 Likes

Yeah I get you, even if you research you still might get something wrong but if people point it out to you, the best thing you can do is be understanding and nice about it. That way people will see that it truly was an honest mistake

8 Likes

Yeah same here, but I find it very inspiring to read some big authors post explaining how they managed to get so recognized. They all started out like we did. I’d recommend a post on Alusza’s Instagram, where she explains how she started out and how she managed to get recognized. So yeah, big authors started out the same way, and they succeeded because they were passionate about what they were writing and didn’t give up easily so don’t give up!

13 Likes

i won’t ! none of us should :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Yeah I think my cover isn’t very eye catching… But I really love it and don’t want to change it

cover

Beautiful cover by @/Bertha

Also I haven’t published yet lol

10 Likes

I wouldn’t call myself a small author (I’m… mid-sized? lol), but every time I publish a story I’m super crazy nervous :sweat_smile:. So it doesn’t get much easier lol. (At least not for me.)
I used to make my own covers too (now I’m lazy so I pay for them lol) and I found I got better every cover :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve recently published my second story and I can’t even tell you how much I was panicking lol - I was nervous as hell and was melting down because I didn’t have a description sorted out, etc. It can be super daunting getting your ideas out there in a very public app & even small things like some harsh reviews have thrown me off of the writing wagon in the past as well as recently I was on the verge of giving up on my newest story but a stroke of luck I got some amazing reviews. (I know reviewers mean well!!)

8 Likes

We are our own worst critics. I am comfortable with my story. At first I had my doubts because I know I’m new to this. I don’t expect to get big on here. I love writing I always have and I finally found a way to get back into it.

I hated the thought of putting myself out there but I know it comes with the territory. I’m terrible with criticism. But I have to remember everyone is going to have an opinion. And as long as one person tells me that they enjoyed my story. That’s all that matters to me. :heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :brown_heart: :black_heart: :white_heart:

11 Likes

after I publish I always have to fight that nagging feeling to trash whatever I just wrote and start on something else. im so amazed that some authors can make stories with 30+ chapters like thats so much follow through

10 Likes

sorry but I love your pfp

2 Likes

Lol Thank you! No need to be sorry! My SIL drew it for me I love it too!

2 Likes

Maybe a bit more lighting🤔
But what counts is what’s on the inside!

1 Like

Sadly I don’t have the money for commissions, although I try to join every giveaway I can, and I was also super nervous when I published my first story

1 Like

Don’t listen to the haters! There always be one, but they can’t bring you down, If you like what you’re writing then go for it!

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re necessary really. My stories with my own hand-made cover attempts did just fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had about three people say they like my squad entry and that really makes my day, because if at least one or two people actually like it, then others can as well! For now as small authors every nice comment or a story on ig means a lot

1 Like