So, I came across a problem

So, my story has two love interests. However, for the sequel, two of the side characters are the children of the first LI, but not the second. I was thinking that instead of having to create two seperate branches for which LI you picked (resulting in different children), I could just have the first LI be the “canon” love interest while the second love interest is not, but someone you could pursue if you want to.

Furthermore, I could create a spin-off for the readers who want to read more about the MCs life with the second LI after the original story since the sequel features the first LI as canon. What do you guys think? I have a really good plan for the two side characters since they’re twins, but I don’t want to have to create two other characters for the second LI and use the same plot since it wouldn’t make ANY sense. Nor do I want to get rid of them since they play such an important role in the story for the MC. Not only that, but they’re extremely unique characters that are a result of the previous MC’s struggle with parenthood. I want my readers to be able to look at the characters and still feel connected to the previous story but I don’t want to leave out my other readers who chose the second LI.

Another option would be to get rid of the second LI altogether, but I’m a bit attached to him and I created really cute scenes with him, so that’s off the table. I might just go with creating a spin-off and have a story just for them, y’know?

6 Likes

:exploding_head::exploding_head:

2 Likes

Well if I chose the second LI then idk if I would be interested in a sequel where MC is together with the one I didn’t pick.
How about you just have one LI and create another story with the second where you can still use those cute scenes if you can make the context still fitting.
From the solutions you suggested I’d say creating a sequel for both sounds best.

5 Likes

Problem is, that would take a LOT of work and would push back majority of the story I’m currently working on. I’m already working on bare-minimum motivation fueled off of sleep deprivation so if I were to create another story JUST for that second-love interest to be in it, it would probably cause me not to even publish the story at all lol.

Thing is, the first love interest isn’t there just for the MC to like, he’s the reason a lot of the conflict is even happening (which wasn’t really his fault lol). The sequel won’t really show the previous MC together with the LI because it’s not focused on that. It’s a fantasy with the MC being a completely different character and she wasn’t even born in the same country as they were. My idea was that along with the previous MC’s children being side characters, they could shed light on the previous MCs life and how she brought her kids up.

Maybe if I explain in the first chapter that the first love interest is canon and there would be a spin off it could work y’know? Kinda like how a lot of animes/shows/movies have people shipping non-canon relationships but they still write about what their life would be like together. Plus, it’s not like I wouldn’t be writing them together because I’d be releasing a spin-off or a short-story of them together.

1 Like

Is it significant to show the dad? If not you could just ask the reader whom they picked and make the twins look according to that and only show the MC if you use flashbacks.
I mean do it the way you want to but like I said there could be people that don’t like the idea of the LI being canon when they didn’t pick him but if the twins are just side characters it might not be that important.

2 Likes

A bit. The dad is a big part of the reason why the twins act the way they do. The two love interests act completely different so it wouldn’t make sense to just replace each other based on who the reader picked because it would just feel… weird? like it would just make it seem like they act the same way and all that.

I think I might just end up having one be canon and the other be non-canon but create a seperate short-story for him.

You can’t really please everyone :woman_shrugging:t4: no use losing sleep over it either.

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

@Sydney_H - You can close this thread, the problem’s solved.

Ummmm

:exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

? :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.