So many authors ignore this episode guideline

Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 5.40.01 PM
I’ve read a few episode stories where I wasn’t able to turn down sex.

20 Likes

Same, I don’t think authors take this as seriously as they should, I’ve read stories where if you turn down Sex you’ll get backlash from other characters, or some authors just don’t let you skip at all

8 Likes

wow i had no idea that was a rule because nobody ever actually follows it :open_mouth:

3 Likes

“Your loss then” with talk_armscrossed_angry_loop

10 Likes

Exactly, that was so accurate :sweat_smile:

1 Like

and then the MC is like “Maybe I’m overreacting” with idle_armscrossed_awkward_loop and after a short while, she gives in

1 Like

I mean episode goes against it’s own guidelines so it is no surprise that authors do too. But I agree you should have the option to choose or not feel shamed for rejecting it.

2 Likes

Nearly every romance story with 1 LI—old and new—do this. It’s not romantic, it’s forceful and gross!

Of course, if the MC in the story does wish to go all the way like the LI does, then I don’t mind. But this only can work well with me if I ship the two! I hope that made sense.

4 Likes

I’m so glad I never put sex scenes in my stories. To be honest, when I read a scene that does this, I feel VERY awkward.

1 Like

I’m not even gonna lie, I had absolutely no idea that this was a rule? I’ve never understood why companies have written guidelines if half of them go unenforced.

1 Like

I think so too.
Basically children are reading stories like that and therefore they are taught completely the wrong way to handle this matter!
I always offer a censored version for my stories, the reader can choose freely and it’s not explicit described.
I think they should do something about authors breaking this guideline all the time!

2 Likes

To be fair, they don’t strictly enforce half of the guidelines that they seriously should. I’ve read MULTIPLE series that contain abuse/extreme assault/and other blatant breaches of TOS yet those stories remain up to this very day, garnering more and more reads.

Part of me believes that the more well-known you are as an author, the more they let slide because you actively bring users and money to their platform with your content. Would explain why these big stories do breach TOS but get no negative repercussions.

2 Likes

I actually think that it’s difficult for authors to always decide which scene is suitable and which not, so a lot of them just don’t bother about it.
But in my opinion, they should worry about the image of women that they present to young girls reading their stories.
That could easily become a difficulty for them in future if they see that it’s “normal” for a woman to have s*x if her partner wants and her opinion doesn’t really count. That’s the problem I see with not sticking to the guideline.

2 Likes

Agree, People should know their are young teens using this app.

3 Likes

I’ve seen ‘if u don’t agree to have sex w Daniel, ur relationship points w lower.’ Or just no choice at all. I don’t like how we loose points if we choose not to have sex bc it shouldn’t have an effect on the story/plot but yet… it does or we have no choice n our mc has to have sex w someone even if she’s drunk, which is sexual harassment n I honestly don’t like.

3 Likes

Okay, that’s shocking.
In my first story, readers have the choice to hook up with the LI or not and even if they turn him down, there’s no backlash, no guilt-trip and the LI is even understanding and doesn’t pressure the MC in any way.
In my second and current story, there’s no sex at all.

I don’t understand why it is so hard for some authors to add the choice not to hook up. It doesn’t and shouldn’t influence the relationship with the LI at all. Actually, it’s simple to follow the guidelines, even when some of the rules are too vague, in my opinion.

I don’t want to be the mean one but I would report stories who don’t meet the guidelines, regardless of the violation. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a story with 10 million reads or a story with 10 reads.

3 Likes

That’s not what this guideline means. It means that when there is a choice present to turn down sex, the reader should not be “punished” for refusing. Ex. You choose to not have sex so minus points or a reader message saying something like “oh no LI doesn’t like that you said no”

Sometimes the sex has to take place for the plot to move forward. So that’s why there’s a bit in the guideline that says “through content” that means YOU the reader won’t be able to consent but the character can through the author’s writing.

3 Likes

I completely agree that everyone should follow this guideline, it’s very important (the part about allowing the reader the choice of turning down sex with a LI with no consequences). But I wonder if it also means you can’t depict (though obviously not explicitly) rape or sexual harassment for plot purposes. Can you at least imply that a character has been raped or assaulted? Unfortunately a lot of women especially go through this and I think an author should be allowed to write about it and the trauma that such a person gets through and hopefully manage to overcome (and how it changes how she approaches relationships with others etc).

3 Likes