Solved! Help - Grocery bag overlay coding, putting the bag down and giving credit

Hey! My name is Katz and I’m new to Episode, and I seem to be stuck.
I want my character to be holding a grocery bag overlay when she enters the screen and is in front of a house, then have her thoughts play out, go inside the house and place the groceries on the counter behind her.

The grocery bag overlay, is currently still being reviewed by the Episode Team; but this is the link where I got it from:
https://pixabay.com/vectors/grocery-bag-groceries-beer-bottle-2117313/
I think I need to credit this, correct?

This is my code so far:
EXT. VENICEHOUSEWITHOUTCAR - DAY

@pan to zone 2

@KATHERINE enters from left to screen left
@KATHERINE is idle_box_carry_neutral_loop
@KATHERINE faces right

@pause for 1

NARRATOR (KATHERINE)
Welcome to Deerfield!

KATHERINE
(This is my grandparent's home. Their home is cozy, and not too big or too small, but rather just perfect for them.)
(Although, I will admit, they have a huge kitchen, which is fair considering the two are always cooking.)
(I live in Deerfield too, along with my parents, just a few streets down from my grandparent's place.)
(I've lived in Deerfield my entire life and I couldn't imagine living anywhere other than here. This is my home.)
(I better get inside and put these groceries away!)

INT. ROUGE KITCHEN - DAY

KATHERINE (callout_neutral)
Grandpa? Grandma? I'm back with the groceries!

@pause for 1

I’d be grateful for your help! Thank you!! <3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Katz95 Hello Katz! Welcome to the community! :blush: I will try to help you! Can you please tell me what did you name your overlay?

You are supposed to start like this:

EXT. VENICEHOUSEWITHOUTCAR - DAY with Grocery bag overlay (whatever you named the overlay)

Also , I am pretty sure that you don’t need to credit free png websites.

Do you know the basics of overlays? How do they work, how to place them, rotate them, remove them, change opacity level?

Because you need to place the overlay where you want it to be, and remove it when it’s no longer needed in the scene. (If you plan to continue the scene without an overlay)

2 Likes

@prosperitywrites Hi! Thank you! :slight_smile:
I’ve named my overlay “grocery bag”.

Ooh alright, I will keep that in mind :see_no_evil:
I’ve read the overlay guide, and watched a tutorial video too; and I do understand how they work - just how they’re placed and everything after that I’m lost :sweat_smile:
I did what you suggested above - and it worked :smiley: - now I need to figure out how to get my character to be holding the grocery bag :sweat_smile:

1 Like

look if there is any in the props section

@kagome2
Hi, I checked, and surprisingly there isn’t :sweat_smile:
Which is why I ended up getting a free png image of a grocery bag from the internet :joy:
Still, thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like

that is good, just make sure it is copy right free

1 Like

@Katz95 Hi! Yep. There is no prop for that sadly, Okay to make your character seem like they are holding the bag.
First of all, place the overlay wherever you want it to be.
@transition fade in white 1
@overlay Grocery Bag shifts to 53 310 in zone 1 and overlay Grocery Bag scales to 1.000 1.000 and overlay Grocery Bag moves to layer 1
After the dialogues, if you are planning to remove the overlay, simply type @overlay Grocery bag clear.

EXT. VENICEHOUSEWITHOUTCAR - DAY

@pan to zone 2

@KATHERINE is idle_box_carry_neutral_loop
@KATHERINE faces right

@overlay Grocery bag create and overlay Grocery bag shifts to 12 346 and overlay Grocery bag scales to 1.000 1.000 and overlay Grocery bag moves to layer 2
Remember using the zooming techniques too!
@pause for 1

NARRATOR (KATHERINE)
Welcome to Deerfield!

KATHERINE
(This is my grandparent's home. Their home is cozy, and not too big or too small, but rather just perfect for them.)
(Although, I will admit, they have a huge kitchen, which is fair considering the two are always cooking.)
(I live in Deerfield too, along with my parents, just a few streets down from my grandparent's place.)
(I've lived in Deerfield my entire life and I couldn't imagine living anywhere other than here. This is my home.)
(I better get inside and put these groceries away!)
&overlay Grocery bag  clear
@transition fade out black

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck. :blush:
1 Like

Ohh!! It worked like a charm! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you!! :smiley:
Though, the some of the numbers were different on my side, but that’s cause I moved the overlay to fit into the hands of my character :sweat_smile:
I now understand overlays a little better! <3

2 Likes

That’s great! Good luck with your story and feel free to ask me for help! :blush:

2 Likes