Some Helpful Information: Jewish Characters! <3 <3

Continuing the discussion from Extend your diversity - Jewish characters!:

I wanted to bump this because I was doing some research for my Jewish characters yesterday (when I wasn’t on my PC) and TRAVESTY!! The thread was closed!!! Ugh! So…I am going to create this one and throw out some links and stuff every now and then to keep it alive for all our Judaism research needs!!

Here’s one I go to often when I’ve forgotten something or just needed a quick refresher and stuff:

And this is @Mehasels’s lovely original post because I think it is important and this info should all be in one place as much as possible!! <3 <3 <3

Hey everyone,
following your comments here -> Jewish people representation in Episode

I have decided to open a subject in order to give you some information about Jewish people and our culture.

Important notes:
1.English isn’t my native language so if I do any mistakes please let me know
2. No politics please!
3. If you have any question don’t be shy, ask me whatever you need even if you think you’re rude by asking it!
4. I will not talk about the bible as it’s subject is too large. if you need any help with that let me know!
5. 6.4m Jews live in Israel and 5.7M jews live in the Usa, there are small communities of jewish people everywhere around the world expect some of the Islamic countries.

Here some notes that I think you should know if you want to start writing a character and confused :slight_smile:

1. What’s Ashkenazi\Sfaradi?"
I won’t get much into details about how it happened but it’s important for you to know the difference.
The Judaism is divided to ethnic groups. the main ones are “Ashkenazim” And “Sfaradim” also “Ethiopian” which isn’t much but it’s important to know them

Ashkenazi Jewish -> Jewish who used to live in Europe, some include Russian jews as well.
Sfaradi Jewish (Sfaradi=“Spanish”) -> After Alhambra Decree (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra_Decree ) Sfaradi jews moved to Africa or the middle east. (Exclude Israel)
Ethiopian jewish - Jews who started to arrived from Ethiopia to israel in the 90’s.
Ugandan Jews- Will be added soon.

There’s still so much to say about it but it’s not really necessary, you just need to know the difference.

1. Hair & Skin color
For some reason some people think most of the Jews has ginger hair color.
This is false - as most of us usually with brown eyes & brown hair. it is also up to if you’re Ashkenzi, Sfaradi or Ethiopian.
It’s mixed. if you see a jewish person with green eyes it probably means that he is Sfaradi and Blue eyes is Ashkenazi.
Skin color - every skin color is acceptable!
Ashkenazi will likely to be brighter than the Sfaradi and Ethiopian is usually dark.
It is mixed as well :slight_smile: you can also see here Ethiopian people with green eyes or Sfaradi with really really light skin :slight_smile:

The reason for this stereotype -> (special thanks to @helen790)

> I actually know a bit about the Jewish ginger stereotype, it originated during the Spanish Inquisition. Historically red hair has been seen as a symbol of corruption, ancient peoples associated it with vampirism and witchcraft and other “evil” things, so during the Spanish Inquisition when Jewish people were being sought out as "heretics"for not worshiping Jesus the association between red hair and Judaism was made as another way to identify them.
> People, either to reinforce this stereotype or as a result of it, started depicting Judas as having red hair in artwork and the idea that he was a ginger also persisted through the ages. Writers, most notably Shakespeare, also hopped on the Antisemitism bandwagon and started portraying anti-Semitic caricatures as being gingers.

2. “ Big nose
False , not all of us have big nose.
3. * Music ?
(Note: This is specifically for israeli Jews, I’m not sure about those who live in America tbh)
We LOVE music!
From Pop->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_OLslE3bX8
To Rock ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Err1iULigvE
And even Rap ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkxte5sXH4
4. Attitude ?
(Note: This is specifically for israeli non-observant Jews, I’m not sure about those who live in America and if you need any kind of help with those are are religions i can help you with that as well. just ask!)
Most of the israelis are rude, that’s a fact. we don’t know how to stand in lines and is a big no no :wink:
But we’re also the kind of people that if you fall in the middle of the street everyone will literally stop everything they do just to help you stand up and check if you’re okay, we care about each other a lot and this is one of the reasons I love my people so much :wink: We have no shame to flirt with you and and most of us hate bullshit - we rather say the truth in your face instead of just lying to you or play with your feelings.
(I.e. is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9sBLBHXVP0 )
Also, even though we are rude- I think even more than Americans you still won’t see Danielle bregoli or lil tay in here since respect to elders is important to us.
5. Holocaust Humor ?
I believe y’ll at least heard once what the holocaust is. if not - I think even as a person you need to know what it is… go read about it.

Just like american teens, we love black humor. we laugh about everything and it includes the Holocaust. but there’s a line you can’t cross - i don’t know how to really explain this but if you’re willing to make any kind of holocaust joke in your story let me know in order for it to not hurt anyone… i suggest you not to do it though

6. Clothes
The religious girls wear a scarf, similar to the Muslim’s and a skirt.
The religious boys wear Kippah, of course there’s more than it but Episode didn’t bother putting it lol
non-observant people usually wear american clothes.
7. Language
Hebrew -> Nowdays hebrew is different than the one in the bible. but we use it!
Yidish (Mixed German and old hebrew) -> Ashkenzai jews who is also very religious use it.
Ladino -> Old Sfaradi jewish language, not really in use anymore.
Amharic -> The old generation of Ethiopian jews still use it, the new generation is using only hebrew now.
Of course outside of israel the jewish people don’t speak hebrew or speak old hebrew. :slight_smile:
8. Food
Everything with oil goes :slight_smile:
Most of the jews keep kosher. and what is kosher you ask?
kosher means that you will not eat pork or shellfish (and some other meats deemed not Kosher) and not mix milk and meat.
(Credit to @Booklady1017!)
9. Shabbat (special thanks to @EM_EPISODE)
You don’t have to include it but you may want to say every Friday night and Saturday is shabbat. where jews go to synagogue and don’t go on their phones and stuff. You may/may not say this. Just telling you.
From Friday’s night (it starts with the start setting) to Saturday’s afternoon - night (it ends with the sun setting as well) we have Shabbat.
Shabbat = Saturday in Hebrew.
The more religious jews goes to Synagogue (our praying place) , don’t use electricity at all and of course, as God forbidden in the bible to work during Saturday, they don’t work during Saturday.
In Israel -
Believe it or not, but we go to school in sunday as it’s our first day of the week. our rest day is only Saturday and for some even friday.
10. How large is the family?
Usually the religious people contains about 8-13 kids, of course it’s not constant.
The people who aren’t so religious usually has around 3 kids.
11. Israeli slang?
This video explains it very well! :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyUNaeDcGNE
12. Sigd
https://knesset.gov.il/lexicon/eng/sigd_eng.htm

So I probably forgot stuff so don’t be shy and let me know if you need help! :heart::heart:
If i don’t answer in here send me a message on instagram -> Mehasels.episode

More information can be found here about Ugandan Jews specifically: Jewish Virtual Library - Ugandan Jews

Also, just this site in general is pretty great: https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/

Here’s some Jewish words/phrases for you ^.-

Shalom - (literal translation being peace) used as a greeting, like hello
Le’hitraOt - goodbye

Boker tov - good morning
Achar tzahara’im tovim - good afternoon
Erev tov - good evening
Laila tov - good night

Ways to ask how someone’s doing
Ma amtzav - What’s the situation?
Ma Kore - What’s happening?
Aeh Ata - How are you?
Ma Shlomha - How are you? (Higher language than the pervious one)

Ways to answer how someone’s doing
Akol besder - Everything’s alright
Ani beseder - I’m alright
Sababa - Between cool to fine
Lo Mashu - Not so good
Tov - Good
Lo tov - Not good

Labriot - (literal translation “To health!”) - bless you (after a sneeze)
Slicha - sorry
Toda - thanks
Bevakasha - you’re welcome

Aba / ima - father / mother
Ach / achot - brother / sister
Ben / baat - son / daughter
Baal / isha - husband / wife
horim - parents

Ani - Me
Ata - You (FOR MALE)
At - You (FOR FEMALE)
Hu - He
HE - She
Anahnu - Us
Atem - All of you (when the majority are males)
Aten - All of you (when the majority are females)

Ways to say “I love you”
Ani ohev otah - man to a woman
Ani ohevet othah - woman to a man
Ani ohev othah - man to a man
Ani ohevet otah - woman to a woman
Ani ohev eth’em - man to group of people
Ani ohevet eth’em - female to group of people

Sipur - Story
Lihtov - To write
Perek - Episode
Sear - Hair
Hultza - Shirt
Buba - Doll
Musica - Music
Ohel - Food
Mispar - Number
Kaduregel - Football
shocolad - Chocolate
Botnim - Peanuts
Rikud - Dance

Thanks Mehaslim2 so much for helping me get this right and adding other words and phrases as well! <3 <3 <3

Here’s some notable posts within this thread to look at:

Shiran answers important question about Jewish apparel

Kanu talks about what kind of Jews her characters are

Posts 42-48

45 Likes

Thank you soo much for this! I’ll make sure to use it. :kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Ah! Thank you!! I was trying so hard to remember that one’s name, and I couldn’t! I’ve been looking around for that old post, I was about to rage quit, X’DDDDD

1 Like

I am gonna love what,@Mehasels?

2 Likes

This how to guide on Jewish characters

2 Likes

The thread ^^ The thread I revived because Judaism needs love <3 <3

3 Likes

DANG that coordination, tho!!

3 Likes

By the way, good job, @NelidaU :blush: :+1:

3 Likes

I forgot my notebook at home, where I have all my Jewish letters and phrases and stuff like that - As soon as I get back home and stuff, I’ll be adding some phrases and stuff. Let me know if you want me to add anything else up in the first post 'til then! I only have Shalom and Le’HitraOt memorized >.> probably low balling myself, but I can’t think of ANYTHING on the spot X’DDD

3 Likes

If you want me to help you adding other words in Hebrew, then you can ask me.
Indeed my language is Amharic from home, but since I live in Israel, then I can speak fluent Hebrew.

1 Like

I’ll let you know after I compile it all together and see if I forgot anything important then! <3 <3

2 Likes

No problem :blush: :grin:

2 Likes

@NelidaU, may I ask you: have you written a story?

2 Likes

Yes, It Takes Four ^^ You can see my link and info here if you like: It takes Four Finally Published <3

(Sorry, I thought I saw a mention in my notifications and only just looked for it, X"DDDD)

1 Like

Do not apologize. It’s okay.

2 Likes

Stay happy, loves <3 <3 <3

5 Likes

Is that picture real ?:sweat_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

Yea! Happy turtle, happy doggy! X’DDD Gotta be the happiest photo on the internet!

1 Like

Not bad :rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Question on behalf of @EpisodeShadow—Will these outfits be acceptable for Jewish characters along with the hair? Or is it inappropriate?

5 Likes