Spot directing help guide

Spot directing is a pretty difficult thing to pick up. I found a help thread on the old forums for it, and decided to gibe a guide on how to do it. Here is a little guide.

Using the spot I used 1.0 160 210 as an example, the 1.0 represents the size of the character. All typical episode INK characters are set at a default size of 1.0 . You may want some characters taller than others, so if the smaller character is 1.0, make number after the . higher by one until you are happy with the height of the character. You can make the characters shorter by saying 0.7, for example, and you can adjust the height of the characters from that.

The second set of numbers, ‘160’ is how far across the screen your character is. 160 is right in the center of the screen, and you can decrease the numbers for your character to be further left, and increase them for your character to be further right. I am not entirely sure what the biggest number you can use is, but I think it is 360, and the smallest number is 0. In between the center of the screen and the far left is 80, and in between the center of the screen and the far left is 240. 160 is right in the center.

The final set of numbers, ‘210’ , is how far up the screen your character is standing. Again, the more you increase the number, the higher up the screen your character stands. And of course, the more you decrease the number, the lower your character stands. If you want to just about be able to see the characters feet, you want the number to be around 170 to 175.

Another, simpler way to do spot directing is by using the episode app on you tablet or phone, or whatever device you have the app on, I’m pretty sure this feature works on all of them. What you have to do is click on the 3 little horizontal lines on the top left of the screen. Scroll down, and click on the ‘create’ option. Now you may have to log in if you are not logged in already. Select to preview/play the story that you are working on and want help with the spot the character stands at. Next, click on the directing helper option. Here, it will give you options for the following: Zoom helper, Spot helper, Bubble helper, Overlay helper, and Filters helper. The one you want is the Spot helper, so click on that. It will let you move around the characters on your screen easily. You can make the characters smaller and bigger if you tap the option that says ‘Switch tool: Scale’. You use two fingers to shrink and grow the characters on the screen. If you tap it again, it will change back to moving the character around the screen. If you click the ‘Change Char’ option, it will change the character on the screen that you are moving. When you are happy with the position of your character, there is a set of numbers below the three option buttons. It should say something like: @CHARACTER spot 1.280 50 0 . Now what you need to do is open up the script and type @CHARACTER stands screen left
@CHARACTER walks to spot 1.280 50 0 .
That is the easier way that you can use spot directing.

--HebbyElizabeth
6 Likes

Thx for this

1 Like

Quick question, how do you add a Narrator speech while panning over a background? I want the pan to happen while the Narrator is speaking

**&pan to zone #

NARRATOR
Weeeeee!

Yaaaaaaaay! Thank you :3

2 Likes

Hey.
I was wondering if you could help me spot direct something?
I really am bad at spot directing and really could use some help.
If you can help me this is the background…
INT. AIRPLANE SEATS - DAY
I really need a template for two characters sitting in the seats.
Thank you in advance. :blush::blush::blush:

Here’s a guidebook on spot directing. Hope this helps:

1 Like

I just started learning about the spot helping and i did it right i think, my character looks correct on my phone app, but on my computer while im writing the script, its completely out of porportion. did i do something wrong or is it still going to show up normal when i post the story