Spot Walking (Walking w/Spot Direction)

Hiiiii :blue_heart: I’m RudeInception and today we will be discussing Spot Walking (term I’ve made up). This method will allow you to walk your character all around a scene while the character stays in the size and position you chose while Spot Directing.
(What’s that? Spot Directing Guide)

Here we go:

The general command is

@CHAR walks to spot S X Y in zone # in T

S = size of the CHAR (default size is 1.280)
X = X axis (left to right)
Y = Y axis (up and down)
zone # = the zone number (1, 2, 3, and sometimes 4)
T = time it take walk between two points (0.1 – infinite)

Let’s use an sample spot direction:

@CHAR spot 0.900 50 90 in zone 1

Now this sample spot direction will:

• Make the character smaller. (0.900)
  • Raise the character up higher off the ground. (90)

Here are code commands that will help conserve these changes based off of different scenarios:

1. Making the character enter into the scene with a spot direction:

You can use the enters command when spotting:

@CHAR enters from left/right to spot S X Y in T

BUT in doing so, the character will enter in the default size.

In order to make the character enter at a custom size, we’ll have to do the following:

@CHAR spot 0.900 100 90 in zone 2

@CHAR walks to spot 0.900 50 90 in zone 1 in T

We place the character offscreen by putting them in another zone with the spot direction in place.
Then we have the character enter by changing the zone once again. This will ensure that when the character enters from right to left, they will be at the customized size. (I also changed the X coordinate to 100 just to make to make sure the character is completely offscreen.)

EXTRA TIP: Use the same technique when having a character enter from left to right. It should work, AS LONG AS IT ISN’T IN ZONE 1. If we want the character to enter from the left into zone 1, then we use a different technique. Use a negative X coordinate (I usually use -100). Then change the X coordinate to a positive integer. This will push the character onscreen.

Ex:

@CHAR spot 0.900 -100 90 in zone 1

@CHAR walks to spot 0.900 50 90 in zone 1 in T

————————

EXTRA TIP: If we want the character to enter from the right, we use the same technique. Except instead of a negative X coordinate we use a coordinate that is larger than 320 (I usually use 500). Then have the character enter from the right.

2. Making the character walk within the zone:

(A) Let’s say we want to move a character from the left side to the right side.

@CHAR walks to spot 0.900 290 90 in T

We simply need to change the X coordinate.
(0 – 320, left – right)

(B) Let’s say we want to move a character from a close point to a far away point. At the same time, making the character get smaller. That way the character looks like they are walking up (perhaps towards a house or up a hill).

Here’s what we do:

@CHAR walks to spot 0.100 50 350

We simply change the size of the character to the desired end size and the Y coordinates to a higher number.

When the character begins to walk, they will gradually get to the size and position they need to be in.

————————

EXTRA TIP: Maybe we want to have the character gradually get bigger and closer to the ground. That way we the character looks like they are walking down (perhaps leaving home or down a path).

Here’s what we do:

@CHAR walks to spot 1.280 50 0 in T

We simply change the size of the character to the desired end size and the Y coordinates to a lower number.

When the character begins to walk, they will gradually get to the size and position they need to be in.

3. Making the character exit with a spot direction:

We cannot use the “exits” command, because it will change the character to its default setting. Instead we must walk the character offscreen and then remove them once offscreen.

@CHAR walks to spot 0.900 500 90 in T
@remove CHAR

We walk the character offscreen by changing the X coordinate to a number that is larger than 320. (More than 320 will begin to push the character offscreen.)
Then we remove the character when it’s offscreen.

4. Making the character walk to another zone with spot directing:

@CHAR walks to spot 0.900 50 90 in zone 2 in T

We simply need to change the zone number.

————————

EXTRA TIP: Using this command will not make the screen follow the character. And we can’t use the “follow” command for Spot Walking. To have the screen follow a character into another zone, we do the following:

&pan to zone 2
@CHAR walks to spot 0.900 50 90 in zone 2 in T

134 Likes

Thank you so much for doing this! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Your direction is very well explained! Thank you very very much. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

help please!

https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

What’s up, babygirl?

1 Like

need help with everything directing and writing please!

can someone help me ? i got my characters to stand up but i need help on getting them to walk and the @character spot # in zone # is not working.

2 Likes

Erase the & from &spot.
Plus you forgot to add a coordinate.

@EMBER walks to spot 1.500 -88 -44 in 3 AND BELLA walks to spot 1.500 -106 ? in 3.2

1 Like

thanks so much. ill see if that woks.

how would i write it?

Try:
@EMBER walks to spot 1.500 -88 -44 in 3 AND BELLA walks to spot 1.500 -106 -44 in 3.2

2 Likes

it worked. thanks soooooooooo much!! :sob: :smile::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

do you know how make your characters face each other ? 06%20PM

@CHAR1 faces left AND CHAR2 faces right

thanks so much!

trying to place more characters in the background

You can’t have more character me in the back but it won’t look good because of the desks in the back. There’s no way of adding characters behind those desks because it hasn’t no more overlays. You’d have to add them on.

1 Like

Oh. So do I have to upload my own background and overlays in order to add more characters?

Just upload your own overlays

Oh ok. Thanks so much :slight_smile: