Spotlight supporters

Hi, people! I chose Spotlight to start my first story called “The Triangle” and even though it’s doing well considering the amount of massive hate towards this brand new format offered by Episode, what I really want is to find other authors and players/readers that enjoy both, the cinematic and the Spotlight versions of Episode stories. :hugs:

Yeah, I want to surround myself with positivity and people that pay attention to plots and characters, knowing that there are amazing stories to read in every format! If you’re one of them, let’s bond and support each other. :slight_smile:

And, Episode, it would be amazing if you could support the Spotlight format by creating a special shelf for the best Spotlight stories, it would be fair and amazing. After all, some authors have Spotlight stories with +100k reads after getting deserved exposure, so, Episode players just need to be presented with the format to support it. :kissing_heart:

9 Likes

Hello Ladybird! I have heard positive things about your story :heartbeat:

I feel like spotlight gets a bad rep but when a story is engaging and the storyline is interesting - the format does not matter.

2 Likes

Ooooh can I just say a Spotlight shelve would be so cool to see. I don’t think there’s enough on the app to quite fill a shelf yet though (if we don’t count the stories that were made for the spotlight contest, that is).

I do enjoy reading both, though I do like cinematic more so. But honestly, spotlight isn’t that bad to read. I think it suits certain genres quite well and it’s a shame so many people dismiss a story just because it’s spotlight.

7 Likes

Bumping in here~
I’m a huge Spotlight supporter! :raising_hand_woman: Old style, new style, and customized style.
Glad to see more of us around here and it’s good to know that your story is still doing well despite the well-known hate that Spotlight tends to get.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! What stories do you recommend?
If you wanna read mine, it’s called The Triangle!

1 Like

I totally agree with you! What stories do you recommend, especially on Spotlight format? And I’m glad you heard positive opinions on my story! If you ever feel like giving it a chance, I’d love your feedback!

1 Like

I didnt know about this Spotlight contest, is it still going on?:fearful:
I also enjoy both, cinematic and Spotlight! Cinematic is lile watching a movie and Spotlight feels like reading a magical book!

1 Like

It was the February creator’s contest this year, so it’s already over. You can find the stories that won on the contest winner’s shelf, though!

2 Likes

Ohhh, I only entered the Episode writer world in July! I’ll take a look at it, thank you!

I have not read much but there was an interesting mystery story where the detective develops an obsession with the vic’s wife and another one is called Love is A Game

1 Like

Compulsion?

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s it

1 Like

I’m gonna look it up nooow!:revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Great! I’ll check it out as soon as I re-download the app for the Thriller contest :grin: Thanks again for making a story in that style, I can’t wait to see how it turned out~

I haven’t seen many new spotlight style stories since I quit Episode a while ago, but I keep recommending these two and will continue to do so for anyone who’s interested in the old spotlight style: The B-Team by MeMyselfAndI and Black Absinthe by Kay Elle :heart:

They’re true gems and full of nostalgia for old Episodians like myself :blush:

3 Likes

I love the Spotlight style. Here are 5 reasons to consider experimenting with it:

1.) Simplicity.
By intentional design, the simplicity of Spotlight makes it easier to code in than the Cinematic format. It’s a great style for beginners because:

• Those who are unfamiliar with coding or prefer not to bother with it should have no concern because everything is automatic and is perfected for you.
  • Because of the reason stated above, Spotlight will speed up the production of your story.
  • You’ll often find yourself learning and memorizing the animations at a faster rate due to the style’s nature of repetition.
  • You’ll be killing two birds with one stone. One, by gaining knowledge and skills of the Writer’s Portal and two, improving your writing (see my #5 for more information).

2.) Rare and Unique.
Because there are significantly fewer spotlight stories as opposed to cinematic stories, your story will stand out more. It makes your story more different and unique from others. Of course, that’s only part of making it different and unique from others, though.

3.) Smoother Reading.
Lag can become a big problem in Cinematic, especially in scenes with a large number of characters or other similar scenarios. With Spotlight, the issue of lag is essentially eliminated because everything is smoothly transitioned and performed by the use of character’s respective frames showing up one at a time.

4.) Emphasizes the Writing More.
With Spotlight, you’ll be focused on the actual writing (dialogue, plot, etc.) and less on the directing. This is a plus when it comes to your writing quality.

5.) Challenges the Writer.
In my opinion, this is probably the most important reason on the list.

• Taking this challenge can provide many benefits in the future. Even if you don’t like the Spotlight style, it’s an excellent tool to take advantage of to improve your writing and become more seasoned. For beginners, writing some short stories in Spotlight, for example, can give their writing skills and quality a boost for the reasons I stated in number 4; focusing more on crisp (yet concise) narration, along with dialogue, syntax, vivid descriptions, etc.

• You can even use it to improve your Cinematic stories or adapt your current Spotlight stories to Cinematic. Think of it as developing a blueprint to any project. Once you’ve done that, all you would need to do would be to direct the whole thing to your liking. You’ll put full focus to each part (the writing itself and the directing, etc.) one at a time; nothing is skimped this way, and it’s more organized.

The spotlight format is simple, but it’s not an easy format to write in either. Instead of seeing limitations, you have to see them as opportunities. The writer must think about what they can do with what they have, not what they cannot do with they have.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check them out!

1 Like

One of the things I also love about writing in Spotlight is the first person narrative. We can make the reader/player really live through the character. Cinematic is like watching a movie while Spotlight feels like reading a magical book because of Episode’s animations. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I have not found a single Spotlight story, and I want some. I wanna see what they’re all about and how they can be executed!

What are your spotlight stories about?

2 Likes

If you haven’t came across a single spotlight story, they had a Spotlight contest and announced winners- you can check those out or even type in “Spotlight” into the search engine in the app and I’m sure you will come across wonderful stories : )

1 Like

Heard!! I think I’mma read myself to sleep then. ^^ <3

1 Like