šŸ¤” Star Wars vs Star Trek! ( And other monumental classics for SciFi Fans! )

STAR WARS FOREVER :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

FOR :clap:t5: EV :clap:t5: ER :clap:t5: !!!

1 Like

BUMPING

BUMP

:clap:t5: BUMP :clap:t5:

I like both, for different reasons.

Star Trek was my first, and whenever I want TV comfort food, I watch an original series or TNG episode. I belonged to a fan club in high school where I met my first girlfriend. I went to conventions for years and I own a TNG uniform for the purposes of attending.

Star Wars came out at a difficult time in my life (my mother died of cancer) and I saw that movie more times than I could count, just to escape from reality for a while. My mother, who had brought me a Darth Vader doll to me when I was in the hospital after my tonsilectomy surgery; They were extremely hard to come by in those days and she talked the guy at the store out of his display toy because (adding mom tears for dramatic effect) her son was in the hospital and this would cheer him up. Itā€™s the only toy from my childhood I still have.

Iā€™m not sure why this debate ever started in the first place, but I recognize itā€™s become a thing.

What about Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis, Universe)? or Babylon 5?

1 Like

Firstā€¦ I would like to take the time to sayā€¦Thank you so much for your very insightful post about this topic. I appreciate your taking the time to share what both of these SciFi Cult Classic Greats personally gave to you.

This right here is awesome on so many levels!!! I have never attended / participated in any SciFi conventions or Festivalsā€¦ so I can only imagine how much fun you had attending!!!

:pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face:
I am very sorry that you lost your mother to cancerā€¦ :disappointed:
I can tell by the beautiful story that you shared about how she was able to procure that Limited Edition Darth Vadar doll ā€¦ that she loved you a great deal!!! And, you loved her in kind!!! :blob_hearts:

What is the SciFi world :earth_americas: without heavily debated alliances towards the Greatest Great Classic of all time??? :woman_shrugging:t5:

Admittedly, I have to say that Jason Momoa brought me to Stargate Atlantisā€¦ so if he was not involvedā€¦ I was not interested :woman_shrugging:t5: ā€¦ I must also admitā€¦ that I did not watch very much Babylon 5 although I heard it was really good!!!

Unfortunately my Geekdomship does not run very prominently :disappointed: !!!

Star Trek all the way, Iā€™ve watch TNG and Voyager through like a dozen times each, I love it. I also really liked Picard, canā€™t wait for more.

2 Likes

Oh cool!!! A Trekie!!!

I donā€™t think I know what "Picard " isā€¦ do you have a link that I can check out ???

1 Like

Star Trek: Picard, have you not seen it?

1 Like

Noā€¦ :disappointed: ( Iā€™m not a Trekieā€¦ so I donā€™t know all of the different Trek versions that are out there )

STAR WARS

1 Like

Yaaaassssss!!! ( Iā€™m old school thoughā€¦ so I donā€™t know much about the new versions )

1 Like

Blockquote
Admittedly, I have to say that Jason Momoa brought me to Stargate Atlantisā€¦

We started watching Stargate: Atlantis before weā€™d even seen a single SG-1 episode. (Although I remember seeing the pilot movie years ago and the only thing I remembered about it was Michael Shanks did a pretty good impression of James Spader.)

This has happened several times with my wife and I. We start watching a show, only to realize later that itā€™s a spin off and have to play catch-up with the original series.

Angel before Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Xena: Warrior Princess before Hercules The Legendary Journeys
Emergency! before Adam-12.

Blockquote
What is the SciFi world :earth_americas: without heavily debated alliances towards the Greatest Great Classic of all time???

You mean Doctor Who of course.

1 Like

This literally made me feel so much better about my television serious choices and the manner in which I have historically disregarded all manners of following series based on chronological order!!!

Doctor Whoā€¦ is completely awesome!!! Period!!!

( oh waitā€¦ I am talking about the original seriesā€¦ I have yet to watch the contemporary versionā€¦ )

But as I tend to doā€¦ I must admit that I ended up watching more of ā€œ The Saint ā€ than I did Doctor Who. ( keep in mind the series were originally released around the same time ā€¦ which of courseā€¦ I was not alive during this timeā€¦ but have a love of many things British I.e. BBC created :woman_shrugging:t4: )

1 Like

I was introduced to Doctor Who by my friend Mark when I was 9 or 10. His parents were from England so he introduced me to a lot of British TV, including the Goodies, Monty Python, Dave Allen At Largeā€¦

My first Doctor was Jon Pertwee. First episode was 2 or 3 of Ambassadors of Death, the cliffhanger of which was Liz Shaw falling over the rail at the dam as she was being chased by the baddies. I was hooked.

If you want to get into the new series, I recommend starting with the Russell T. Davies produced shows. (Doctors: Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant). It will seem a tad brisk compared to the slow burn suspense-building of the original series (my wife still prefers the pacing of the original to the new). Steven Moffat, his successor, was brilliant as a writer of one-off episodes, (Blink for instance.) but sucked as a producer. I liked Peter Capaldi as a Doctor, but the episodes themselves were ehhhhā€¦ although there were a couple of bright spots. (I adored his final companion Bill Potts, first female character in the later series I really liked.) The juryā€™s still out for me on Chris Chibnall. I like Jodie Whittaker, although the Skelmanthorpe accent is really hard on my brain and I canā€™t watch an episode without subtitles. Again, a couple of brilliant episodes here and there, butā€¦ Iā€™m still looking forward to Revolution Of The Daleks on New Yearā€™s Day though.

Who was your first Doctor?

1 Like

I like star wars better and iā€™ve never seen star trek but my name is from star trek

1 Like

I just wanted you to know that I read your postā€¦ and as soon as I finish my errands and adulting stuffā€¦ I am absolutely going to respond to this awesome post!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Wow :astonished:!!! Thatā€™s amazing they you have NEVER seen a Star Trek Episode/Movie beforeā€¦ even though that is the inspiration behind your name!!! That is truly amazingā€¦

Okie Dokie Artichokie @GRH !!!

As a music :notes: lover ( also being that I work in music entertainment) Theme songs to television series are very important to me. So there were a number of television series that I would run :running_woman:t5: into the living room to watch as soon as the theme music reached my ears. Not just because I liked the showsā€¦ but because the theme songs gave me immense pleasure just listening to them!!!

• Star Trek ( original series/TNG )
  • Doctor Who
  • The Twilight Zone
  • The Saint ( Roger Moore )
  • The Benny Hill Show

These were all programs I would watch frequently when I was really young. Just the mention of these shows gives me a feeling of nostalgiaā€¦ because it reminds me of simpler times when I had no worries about anything in the world. Most of those programs I could not tell you what episode I watched or what they were about. But I clearly remember watching some of them late at night when I should have been sleeping :sleeping:. Those were the absolute best times in my life!!!

I saw my first Doctor Who episode when PBS started playing it in America. I am pretty sure that the first Doctor that I experienced was also Jon Pertwee ( although I may have also seen an episode or two of the second Doctor Patrick Troughton even though majority of his episodes were shelved ā€¦ funnily enoughā€¦ I clearly remember Patrickā€™s role as Father Brennan in the Horror movie ā€œ The Omen ā€ 1976 ā€¦ that movie freaks me out to this day!!! )

I would also watch The Outer Limitsā€¦ ( I used to get that show mixed up with The Twilight Zone because of how similar the shows were. )

In addition , I would watch Aeon Flux , Max Headroom, The Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman and X- Filesā€¦ and you KNOW none of these series are contemporary.

You know what is really insaneā€¦ I rarely watch television :tv: at all now. I havenā€™t even watched one :point_up:t5: episode of The Mandalorianā€¦ and I absolutely LOVE Baby Yoda!!! :woman_shrugging:t4: