Stealing Art and Art Theft

I love her backgrounds. And she is so kind. :blush:

2 Likes

Right. I only talked to her once, but she seems like a person you would like.

1 Like

Yep.
I hate when my art is stolen it just makes you feel crappy.

1 Like

I personally think that people who steal art probably donā€™t have confidence in their own art but still want the feeling of someone complimenting you.

2 Likes

Itā€™s also not right to edit anyoneā€™s work unless they have permission from the original artistšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

4 Likes

Youā€™re right. :grin: Iā€™ve had one best friend that does episode drawings and she told me that she didnā€™t like how people used to ask her to trace her outlines. Which is very wrong. I feel that, people that steal others work isnā€™t cool and it makes the original artist mad and very confused, and sometimes stressed or pissed. So I really really agree with this topic. Because it makes zero sense to steal someone elseā€™s work. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Yes if theyā€™re friends with me like very close then I donā€™t mind if itā€™s a complete stranger or someone I barely talked to thenā€¦wtf?

2 Likes

Right?? I wouldā€™ve been pissed. If someone didnā€™t asked and stole my ā€œmaster pieceā€

2 Likes

:pray: Iā€™m like ā€œI can help you with pointers, just donā€™t freaking stealā€ really the watermarks cover some details but I just donā€™t want to risk anything happening

Hey guys! Where should I put my watermark?

2 Likes

If youā€™re asking me, I would say somewhere on the body where itā€™s easy to see and hard to remove. Such as, an arm with shading.:smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll never understand why people steal other peopleā€™s arts

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Manā€¦ and to think I felt weird about putting my signature on my stuffā€¦ Iā€™ll definitely have to start watermarking my stuff! (I mean even though I donā€™t consider myself to be a very big artist or anything) but we definitely need to keep an eye out for this kind of stuff!

2 Likes

Than you for putting this out @Turtle_Cat! :kissing_heart: Iā€™ve seen this issue around as well and I also agree, it should be addressed and is just so unfair to all the hardworking artists on Episode, or anywhere else, for that matter! Iā€™ve also started putting translucent white watermarks across my (personal) backgrounds and the black watermark as well, for that matter- itā€™s just incredibly rude and shows the disrespect for people who take so long and put all this effort- itā€™s really not right. Anyhow, itā€™s just so inspiring to see all these amazing art done by wonderful people and so I thank all of you for your amazing work. :wink:

11 Likes

Lol I feel the same when these words go by my ear that someone stole my art. :joy: Stealing art is such a disgusting thing that some people do as a hobby. :smirk:

4 Likes

Also I would like to thank @Turtle_Cat for creating this thread.This community really needed a thread on such a topic as art stealing is sort of really common here than other platforms.

6 Likes

I completely agree. Adding watermarks to your work is so important and can help reduce the risks of theft!

I wish I had thought of adding watermarks when I first started editing backgrounds to share with the community, but I trusted that no one would do that.

I think it can also be really discouraging for artists to share any work publicly again if their stuff is repeatedly stolen. :pensive:

10 Likes

Very well said @shellyg. I know there are many very talented artists in this community (including you) and none of them deserve to get their work stolen. Iā€™ve unfortunately have had a few encounters with art theft and I hate that all of the times, the thief wouldnā€™t admit to it :disappointed::disappointed: itā€™s one thing to steal and accept the consequences, but failing to admit to it is just wrong.

6 Likes

Thank you for this! A few days back I saw someone (not gonna mention who) stole someone elseā€™s art and it was beyond me how someone could believe they would get away with it as it was a well known artist and there arenā€™t many people on the forums. I also saw another account when someone swore on their life that the art was theirs even though there was evidence. It was sad, really. Iā€™ve never had art stolen before but Iā€™ve had a YouTube video be stolen. It was 2 years ago so I was very irrational. (Honestly though I donā€™t regret it)I wrote a VERY passive aggressive comment on their video and luckily they took it down. What I absolutely cannot respect is when someone denies stealing art after theyā€™ve been called out. Plagiarism is so disrespectful to the artist and also to yourself as itā€™s very easy for people to do a reverse image search and once people find out about it your reputation (especially on episode) will be tarnished. I utterly donā€™t respect people who plagiarise.

3 Likes