Step-Parent Portrayal

Okay, little rant here, brought on my seeing the “gold-digging, abusive, dismissive and cruel” step-parents in almost every story I’ve seen lately.
For the love of reality, not all step parents are monsters! It’s to the point where I exit stories that make the step-parent seem like abusive pos’. As a parent (and step-parent), I would NEVER marry anyone that treated my child badly… and if they “hid it until after we married”? Sweetie, divorcing someone who mistreats your child would not make any parent lose sleep at night.
How about make a step-parent that stands up for the MC, is involved and loving? Is someone the MC can turn to when something’s wrong?

Sorry, rant over. Have a nice night/day. :purple_heart:

13 Likes

Parents too. But too many adult figures suck in these stories…i just read on where the mom acticvly ignored her daughters and TW: said she was lying about being assaulted for attention
If theres a step parent(woman most times) shell be a goldigger and insult the kids but the dad(again if its a stepmom) wont do anything and/or ignores it…she could outright slap the kid too

Adults in episodes…are done so terrbile dont get me started on adoption stories(ppl do backround checks for this very reason)

5 Likes

While I do know, thanks to several news stories that pop up in my social media feeds, there are mothers who put their kids in bad situations, ignore abuse or accuse their kids of lying… but those women should burn. A mother’s…no, a PARENT’S job is to protect their children, at any cost. Even if it means losing their husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend.

" could outright slap the kid" hahaha, I wish a mf would.

Oh god, “my parents adopted me, went through countless amounts of background checks, home checks, and red tape to adopt me… so that they could be verbally abusive…”… because people who adopt kids clearly only want them to make them their maids and servants whom they beat. Yep, real life.

Don’t forget about the orphanage ones…where the “evil headmistress [ always an old, ugly white woman] who beats and starves and berates them”…like there’s not an entire department that checks on the welfare of children in foster situations… hmm.

6 Likes

So true where are the authorities in some of these stories?

I knkw some parents are awful but the amount of things these characters go through o.0( unrelated and not one therapy session/mental illness as a result of the trauma)

1 Like

Step-parents should be portrayed better. I know some great step-parents, and adults should be portrayed in good ways as well.

In my story, the step-father of one of the characters is actually really nice and cares about his step-children. :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Clearly, there are no intelligent adults anywhere around these characters… Idk about you, but I see a starving kid with bruises, I call the authorities. geez.

ikr, “My dad died when I was 6 and my stepmother abused me mentally and physically for years… but fvck all that, I’m the belle of the ball, now!” :joy:

6 Likes

That’s awesome!
At least there’s one! :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve actually seen several stories on the app where the step-parent is caring and supportive towards the MC. However in most if these stories the MC is too angry at their parent for marrying the step-parent, so they fail to notice the step-parent’s good qualities, and assume them as being bad. However near the end of the story after the MC learns a lesson and everything, they finally acknowledges their step-parent’s kindness and accepts them as family.

5 Likes

Really? hmm. That’s pretty cool. I guess I exit too soon. I saw one where the stepmom literally tells the kid (in front of father) that they’re a worthless pos and that there’s no way they’d ever want them… then hit the kid. and the dad was like " you deserved that." then “suzy-stepmom, do you want my credit card to buy new stuff” [not exact quote lol but that was the gist of it].

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’ve seen things like that as well. It’s really annoying when the actual parent supports the step-parents after something like that. Whether or not the child deserved that, the step-parent had no right to hit them

1 Like

100%! I’m a parent of two boys and stepmom of two more… I wish a MFer would!
There’s not a hole deep enough for them to hide. lmao

1 Like

Tell me about it! Both @ChaoticDeluge and I have step-parents who are just family to us. We love them so much!

5 Likes

I like the way you guys think on how they should be portrayed better I thought you made this topic because of my Poll I dumb asf I think it would be gold to see a change once in a while. Besides how many men marry gold diggers, they usually just expose them

1 Like

In my personal experience, I really liked my step-parents because they spoiled me xD

My step mom tried to sell me her car for $1, so there’s that too.

Has anyone known someone that has had a gold-digging step parent? Cause like, that seems a bit unrealistic to me.

3 Likes

Cinderella does, honestly your right probably most step parents are good and “parent like”, but there are some cases where the stepparents are in fact harsh for whatever reasons, and that might probably be something to write about, its obviously better than writing about someones great life with their stepparents, Just giving my opinion :grin:

1 Like

LOL nah. Though I think I voted on your poll. I was ranting because almost every story I’ve clicked on recently has the same ’ parent married evil-abusive-gold-digger-who-hates-me’ starting scene. Like, seriously. I am a step-parent and it’s a little insulting to always see them portrayed that way.

3 Likes

Right? I mean, I don’t spoil any of my kids ( I try not to, anyway! lol) but I do treat them all like they’re my own flesh and blood. I’m a stay-at-home-mom, so I spend all my time with my sons. I would never treat my husband’s boys like these stories portray stepmoms… He’d divorce me first LMAO!

1 Like

I agree that there are some cases where step-parents aren’t the best to their step-children… but the rant was more that I have started reading several stories where it’s the same abusive bs and it usually is written like:

Suzy-Stepmom: I am the only one that matters. You are worthless and your father hates you. I wish you would go away so we wouldn’t have to see you.
Dad stands in room, witnesses this
Kid: I hate you
Suzy-Stepmom: smacks/hits kid
Dad: Suzy-Stepmom, I love you so much! Here’s my credit card and keys! Go have fun and don’t forget to verbally and physically abuse my child some more!

I don’t know a single father, personally, who would allow this to happen in front of them and just be like “cool, so anyway…”.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t argue with that :woman_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

lol, I just would like to see a little variety… like have the stepparent help the kid with a problem, or something. Just the “dad married a gold-digging-bitch” is played out, imo.

1 Like