Stop bashing people's stories! It's not nice

If people wanna write about vampire, let them. If they wanna write about teacher romance let them. If you don’t like them don’t read them. I personally love all of them. I love mafias to, so stop bashing authors who wrote stories like this. It’s very rude. It’s hard to write a story a good one at that so at least be alitrle supportive. Smh

18 Likes

Totally agreed!

1 Like

See I agree, don’t bash authors. But they can’t just go around writing about problematic themes and expect it all to be fine. For instance, I don’t particularly enjoy dystopia, so if I see a story like that, I won’t read it. But teacher and student romances are so not ok. They teach people the wrong things, so simply saying “don’t like it don’t read it” is not right in that context. Assuming someone wrote a racist story, I’m not just gonna sit there and let it go. I’ll ask them why they did it, and try and enlighten them on why it’s wrong. Mafia stories are very very very problematic if you haven’t noticed. Most of the men are abusive towards the women, and it’s not good to teach teenagers about that. And before you say “its just a story,” don’t. It’s not just a story. Stories can have a huge impact on people, especially those that are impressionable. I sort of understand where you’re coming from, but some tropes or cliches are simply not ok. And if the author can put such a story out there, then they should be prepared to get some people who’ll find their story offensive or wrong and voice out their opinions. So yeah, this is my opinion.

32 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Well then they don’t have to read it if they don’t want to read it or if dey think it’s problematic

But when you click a story, you’re not going to know whether it’s problematic straight away. You’d have to read it to find out. Some descriptions are very misleading and you can’t blame the reader for the author’s mistake of not giving a clear description.

13 Likes

Problematic things are not something that should be ignored. However, I agree it’s not good to bash an author, it doesn’t make you any better of a person yourself. But stories that show things that are not okay shouldn’t be just ignored.

12 Likes

I have already made a topic about this

1 Like
3 Likes

yea, but … there’s a big difference between bashing an author and trying to educate someone. i’m a queer and mentally ill person who has begun reading many stories on episode, under the impression that they’re normal + unproblematic stories, only to find much homophobia/transphobia/romanticization of mental illness. if a story is spreading harmful ideals and beliefs, i will make an effort to educate the author in a peaceful fashion, because i believe every human is capable of growth and change and understanding. what a lot of people seem to forget is that when you publish your story on a public platform like episode, you’re opening your story up to criticism from anyone who chooses to read it. authors cannot write about harmful + problematic topics and then get upset when people try to educate them on why the messages they are promoting are harmful. and if an author is going to write about marginalised groups such as the lgbt community, or neurodivergent people, but then ignore said communities when they try to educate the author on why the messages they are spreading are harmful and incorrect … well, the author should really re-evaluate who they’re writing the story for, because it sure as hell isn’t the marginalised groups featured.

there is a difference between educating somebody and directly tearing somebody down, and a lot of people cannot grasp this concept

21 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is related to Episode stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

NOBODY is saying that authors can’t write about the Mafia, they’re saying that authors should write about it ACCURATELY. When it comes to vampires the massive age gap is the issue for most people. And, yes, we are aware that “it’s just fantasy”, but nearly all stories are just fantasy, does that make it ok to write about a 500 year old vampire being in a relationship with a teenager? No! As for teacher romances I don’t care what you say, that shit is nasty. Why does a relationship between a teacher and their student have to be sexualised, it’s disgusting. It makes me, a student, very uncomfortable. Here is a point that I made in another thread that I think is important to note when talking about teacher-student relationships:

I don’t mean to be rude but you should really try looking at this type of thing from a different point of view. Nobody is saying authors can’t write about things but when they romanticise these topics, that’s when the issues arise.

11 Likes

I’m so tired of people pulling the :sparkles: iF yOU dOn’T LiKe iT, dOn’T rEaD iT" :sparkles: card at an attempt to try and defend problematic stories. It’s not that we don’t like them, it’s that they’re outright a mess (for the lack of a better word). If an author tries to normalize a student-teacher relationship, glorify and fetishize the mafia, purposely misinterpret or mock a culture or religion, etc, they deserve to be called out and be held accountable for their actions.

However, disliking something because of personal preference is an entirely different story. If a story is entirely unproblematic, but someone dislikes a certain element in the story because of their personal preference, the “If you don’t like it, don’t read it” statement would be appropriate. But if a story actually has something wrong with it— I agree that people shouldn’t treat the author too harshly, but if they refuse to listen and can’t accept that their story is problematic, we can’t just sit around and let it slide. Maybe you should look at this from a different perspective.

19 Likes

I totally agree with you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
As long as the story isn’t against the guidelines it’s totally fine so, why the hate tho? Especially on the “Mafia ones”.
Like don’t hate the author for your preferences I do believe if the same person who hated the author’s story wouldn’t like it to happen the other way, right? :blush:
No one deserve any kind of hate because guys it’s just a story and we should spread love if you don’t like a story simply don’t read it instead of hurting the author, cause you don’t know how much effort she put in that story. My opinion though :woman_shrugging:t3: :woman_facepalming:t3:

7 Likes

i agree with this, don’t worry :relaxed: :white_heart:

1 Like

Thanks so much for understanding :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I agree too bby. :nail_care:t5::two_hearts::relieved:

2 Likes

Thanks babe :kissing_heart:
Out of topic but, your pfp is sexy AF :wink: :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

tell me about it :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I just edited it a little bit lol. You’re so sweet. :sweat_smile::pleading_face::heartbeat::heartbeat:

1 Like