Stopping Characters from Popping Up on Screen while Panning

I’m having an issue where in a scene, I am panning from one zone to another (and there’s characters in each zone). Every time I pan from zone to another, the characters pop up on the screen, and it doesn’t look right. Therefore, how do I stop the characters from popping up in a scene when panning to another zone? This is what my script looks like:

INT. COFFEE CAFE - DAY
@zoom reset
@cut to zone 1
&CHARACTER1 stands screen left AND CHARACTER1 faces left AND CHARACTER1 is think AND CHARACTER2 stands screen center AND CHARACTER2 faces left AND CHARACTER2 is head_bob AND CLAUDIA stands screen right AND CLAUDIA faces left AND CLAUDIA is shiftweight
@pause for a beat
@pan to zone 2
&CHARACTER3 stands screen left AND CHARACTER3 faces left AND CHARACTER3 is arms_crossed AND CHARACTER4 stands screen center AND CHARACTER4 faces left AND CHARACTER4 is think AND MADONNA stands screen right AND MADONNA faces left AND MADONNA is idle_happy
@pause for a beat
@pan to zone 3
@ASHDEN changes into ASHDEN_default
&ASHDEN stands screen right AND ASHDEN faces left AND ASHDEN is think AND MCKENNA stands screen left AND MCKENNA faces left AND MCKENNA is shiftweight AND ESSANCE stands screen center AND ESSANCE faces left AND ESSANCE is text_phone_neutral_loop

1 Like

are all of those characters in zone 1

No they are not.

1 Like

try putting all of this character together instead of using all ands

Hmmmmm, okay.

1 Like

Try making the characters get into their places before the camera pans. For example, in the line before

@cut to zone 1, do

&CHARACTER1 stands screen left AND CHARACTER1 faces left AND CHARACTER1 is think AND CHARACTER2 stands screen center AND CHARACTER2 faces left AND CHARACTER2 is head_bob AND CLAUDIA stands screen right AND CLAUDIA faces left AND CLAUDIA is shiftweight Yes, i know this is a very long line of command, but its to ensure every character gets into their assigned spot / place on the stage at the same time instead of having them individually popping up, which would take a long time and the reader will be sitting there thinking either their phone screen froze or something is wrong, until the camera cuts to whatever zone

Then, you can do

@pause for a beat
&CHARACTER3 stands screen left in zone 2 AND CHARACTER3 faces left AND CHARACTER3 is arms_crossed in zone 2 AND CHARACTER4 stands screen center in zone 2 AND CHARACTER4 faces left AND CHARACTER4 is think AND MADONNA stands screen right in zone 2 AND MADONNA faces left AND MADONNA is idle_happy
@ pan to zone 2

and so on
Hope this helped! :kissing_heart:

INT.COFFE CAFE - DAY
@zoom reset
@cut to zone 1
@CHARACTER1 stands screen left AND CHARACTER1 faces left
@CHARACTER2 stands screen center AND CHARACTER2 faces left
@CHARACTER3 stands screen left in zone 2 AND CHARACTER3 faces left
@CHARACTER4 stands screen center in zone 2 AND CHARACTER4 faces left
@MADONNA stands screen right in zone 2 AND MADONNA faces left
@ASHDEN changes into ASHDEN_default
&ASHDEN stands screen right in zone 3 AND ASHDEN faces left
@MCKENNA stands screen left in zone 3 AND MCKENNA faces left
@ESSANCE stands screen center in zone 3 AND ESSENCE faces left
&ESSANCE starts text_phone_neutral_loop
&MCKENNA starts shift weight
&ASHDEN starts think
&CHARACTER3 starts arms_crossed
&CHARACTER4 starts think
&CLAUDIA starts shift weight
&CHARACTER1 starts think
&CHARACTER2 startshead_bob
@pause for a beat
@pan to zone 2
@pause for a beat
@pan to zone 3

@Briana_M

Okay!!! It worked. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Your welcome! Glad to know it helped :laughing:

but but…what…about… :cry: never mind…

Solved and closed. Thanks for the help all!