Stories about overcoming struggles

So for example I’m currently writing a story and as a subplot one of the characters is having trouble after going through a traumatic event. With the support of the other characters they are able to overcome the situation and become stronger. Of course I know that it’s not as simple as overcoming something and it will take a while for it to work. This is the type of thing I want to portray where the character becomes stronger throughout the story

2 Likes

Are you asking a question here or are you looking for advice/feedback? I’m a bit confused lol.

Sorry :joy: I’m basically looking for suggestions to read or see what people’s opinions are on this

No worries. But, I adore stories that can handle trauma in a tasteful way. So, I like what I’m hearing from your post.

So, here are three stories that portray that.

• Outcast by @LovelyLoren
  • Bad Behavior by Me.
  • He Can’t Tame Me by Meila Summers (I think this is the author’s name)
1 Like

Thank you so much :slight_smile: It sounds weird as it was supposed to be only a sub plot but now I’ve actually set it out properly it actually ties in with the bigger plot xx

I just want to make sure I don’t make it look effortless if you get what I mean?

Do you think it would be acceptable to write it in a way that the character doesn’t show that they aren’t coping until they actually talk to someone.

For example I want my character to seem strong in her role as a police Sargent but becomes a little more vulnerable outside her job. This is due to the fact that at work she feels she can be someone else at work as she feels her job gives her an identity where as outside of work she has to be herself and this is where she struggles. But she tries not to show it until she is confronted with the situation and starts to open up to someone.

I apologise if this doesn’t make sense I’ve been up since half 4 this morning and now it’s nearly half 11 at night :joy:

Yeah. that is completely acceptable. Everybody handles trauma differently. Some like to burry themselves in work because they can hide from it and as you said “be someone else” for the time being. And, some like to isolate themselves and handle it in their own way.

The only problem would be if the character was to go through trauma and then the next day the author has them acting like nothing happened at (using trauma as a plot for drama - mishandling the topic)

Thank you :blush: Xx

3 Likes

Moving this to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

I have a story called Truthfully Yours, OCD
It’s more of an educational story explaining Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. A girl is trying to overcome it (based on personal experiences).
It was also featured on the Voices of PWD shelf! :slight_smile:
Here’s my insta: @gabi.episode
And here’s the link if you’re interested:

1 Like

Hey! I always love a good story about overcoming struggles, I don’t mean to plug my own story but I’m currently working on one about a woman who is struggling to come to terms with her mom’s death and the tapes she left her 20 years later. It also goes into finding self love after trauma and how to love others regarding that. If you’re interested definitely check it out!

1 Like

Thank you everyone so much I’ll take a look at these :slight_smile: