Stories that you think are overrated

Lol Love Life basically :joy:

2 Likes

Love Life

1 Like

I just realized now it is absolute garbage.

Fetishising and glamourising pregnancy. Acting like it is a game rather than a special and important event in a womanā€™s life - also the lack of mention of safety and being careful too is just a bit much

6 Likes

Well, she was kinda working there for 2 days :smiley:

1 Like

The Pregnancy Game. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Was it really two days? Cause it felt like 2 hours.

1 Like

Everything happens so quickly and without any warning! And then they rely on exposition dumps to fix their flawed narrative. Instead of building things up and slowly introducing the audience to a failing magazine, itā€™s just gone before we even know it was a bloody magazine!
The thing is, you donā€™t even need to take long to establish that kinda thing. Its about how you do it

6 Likes

:+1:t5:

1 Like

It doesnā€™t even matter how long she was working there. Itā€™s more about how the narrative is set up by the writer for the audienceā€™s behalf, if you know what I mean.

She could have just started there, but we had no understanding of the rivalry between the heads of companies until the MOMENT it was shut down. It needed to be established better

3 Likes

My number one on the stories hate list are stories where MC falls in love with LI like in first 5 minutesā€¦ Like I wanna ask authorā€¦ Have you been outside ever, like socializing or smthg. IT DOESNā€™T HAPPEN. First thing it is unrealistic, and second, that it kinda makes everything uninteresting. You already in love, whatā€™s the point of relationship developing? As a bonus - no girl will drool over naked torso like a freaking cat in heat. Or she willā€¦ If she has like half of the brainā€¦ Drooling turns me off instantly.

7 Likes

I was so confused at some episodes. Like, wtf happened to Austin at some point? He was gone then came back. We barely had time with him. then our boss completely disappeared.

2 Likes

The best stories are ones where we understand why something happened or see it unfolding, even if it happens quickly. Otherwise you get clunky dialogue with exposition dumps afterwards because they didnā€™t establish things properly. I donā€™t mean to promote my story too much but Iā€™m gonna use it as an example for this:

My first attempt had flaws in the narrative. Iā€™d established why the princess might want to escape, though, so people werenā€™t too jarred by it.

To make it even better, all I needed to do was add a single scene about how restrictive the Palace actually is and then people understood it better. I didnā€™t make her stay there longer. I just gave the audience some breathing space.

2 Likes

I never even considered him as LI. Like I spend with him literally 5 minutes. And that musician guy, donā€™t remember the name - couldnā€™t even write the text message and expected MC to be with him. There wasnā€™t really a choice between them, as I chose the most normal guy.

2 Likes

I choose Austin. I just wish we had more moments with him like how much we had with Liam andā€¦ā€“That blonde dude o_o

Itā€™s all about what scenes you put when. It creates a narrative that makes it easier to understand. The featured stories which fail to establish the stakes before they ruin something really fail. So overrated.

Likeā€¦ why should the MC care if sheā€™s only been working there for two days? All weā€™d need is a little bit of dialogue BEFORE the scene where she talks about how this is her dream job and how excited she is because of how long sheā€™s wanted it. Then, some stuff about how broke she is. Maybe a little article about the two bosses arguing. Done. Stakes and reason established and she didnt even need to work there for longer

2 Likes

And I hate the excessive gem choices! :persevere:

1 Like

I have question in regards with my story. I have a character, black girl. As a prototype for her I choose Tara from True Blood :smiley: I really liked her. If someone here watched these series. Do you consider her personality as realistic?

1 Like

GEM CHOICES in featured stories are overrated. They use them terribly and it just makes me stop reading. They lose readers. Silly them

5 Likes

I think the main question is: do you think she acts realistically for a human being? Black people donā€™t act differently from white people, all in all. It more matters where you grew up not what the colour of your skin is

2 Likes