Stories with bad grammar, spelling and punctuation

Ok so I know it can kind of be annoying when a story has bad grammar, spelling and punctuation, but do you know what annoys me even more than that??

People who bully other for this, writing a story isn’t easy to begin with and you know what? Spelling, grammar and punctuation isn’t that easy either.

I’ve seen some people say “it’s just lazy” or “Oh my god your spelling is so bad!”

But some people me included genuinely find it a little difficult. I often question myself as to how I passed my English exam as I still struggle.

I have also read stories which have bad spelling l, grammar etc and I’ve read comments that have been horrible!
Everyone seems to abandon a story if it had bad spelling or whatever but rarely do I see someone helping those authors improve their story’s potential.

There are ways to advise authors on their spelling, grammar ect without blatantly saying. “The spelling is horrible.” Would it really hurt to point these authors in the right direction to help them improve?

Ps this isn’t targeted at anyone and there are some people on here that will help someone else even if they can’t help them directly.

20 Likes

Honestly, I agree with you. I do think you reach a certain point where the story isn’t readable at all - and those authors should definitely find a proof reader. But for the most part, the people concerned about every comma or typo or accidental use of the wrong your / you’re bother me more than those mistakes.

I feel very differently when it comes to featured stories because I think if Episode is going to make money off of something, they should be putting their best foot forward in all aspects of their content. But for community stories, I don’t really mention the spelling and grammar unless someone asks. I think people are too comfortable associating spelling / grammar with the “correct” kind of intelligence and I’m not into that at all. And if the story is really engaging, I may not even notice grammatical errors. I do think people should do the best they can, but I don’t think we need to expect that everybody’s best is perfection.

1 Like

i dont mind stories like this
bc i do it all the time
but its f*cked up to be rude bc of their spelling like wtf

1 Like

I do have to say I’ve reached out to several authors whose stories had a lot of potential, but the grammar/spelling was lacking and only once has an author taken me up on my offer of help. For me, reading a story with bad spelling/grammar is very difficult as I have read several stories in which I’ve actually struggled to discern what the author is trying to say. I would never bully someone for it because I understand the struggle a lot of people have with language, especially as many authors do not speak English as their first language. (I admire their tenacity in writing in a language that is not their own and understand the struggle, as I’m multilingual.)

Ultimately, I feel that if the reader is having that much trouble reading the story and they’re not willing to offer help, they should just quit reading. Bullying someone about it isn’t going to fix their grammar/spelling and will probably just demotivate the author.

To anyone who wants a proofreader, I teach ESL (English as a second language), and would be happy to go over someone’s SCRIPT for free. (This is not an offer to read someone’s episodes, so do not send me story links if you’d like me to check grammar/spelling.)

2 Likes

I agree, I’m not a native English speaker and I struggle with comma usage. I never had someone being mean about my grammatical errors, but constructive criticism is always very well appreciated.
I think the best thing you can do if you find errors in a story is telling the author how to improve instead of just being mean about it. If there’s something that sickens me is a person bullying another for making mistakes instead of helping them.

There’s a difference between someone having atrocious grammar and someone who struggles with or may not fully understand English.
I feel so sad when authors feel the need to have a “disclaimer” about their grammar because English isn’t their first language.
As long as the story is still readable, who cares if there’s a typo or missed punctuation here or there?
Now, the people who spell “thx” “plz” “lol” along with zero punctuation and other typos…that’s another story lol

2 Likes

I actually just started reading a story that has really bad grammar and spelling in it (I only made it 2 chapters in but every single thing I read was bad) and had to drop it because it was literally impossible for me to connect with the story and the characters since I couldn’t understand what was being said. There’s also a lot of technical issues too. But because I really love the author’s story concept (it’s a student/teacher story but instead of it being like 100% of other student/teacher stories where it’s romantizied this author actually shows it for what it really is- illegal, disgusting, morally wrong and shows the teacher as mentally unstable- the teacher becomes obsessed with the student, stalks her etc and this is literally the first time i’ve come across a story that depicts the student/teacher trope in a real way instead of trying to romanticize it by showing a grown a** adult teacher “romancing” his child student) I decided to contact the author on IG and nicely explained all of that to her and even offered to edit her script for free since i’m a native English speaker and since I really see the potential of her story- like if the bad grammar, bad spelling and technical issues were fixed it’d be a perfect story. She may not take me up on my offer heck she may not even respond back but at least I tried because that’s really all readers can do. I wish authors who have trouble with English would just ask people for help instead of just posting their stories with really bad grammar and spelling- sure there’s people out there who would probably try to charge them to do it but most people are like me and would gladly do it for free. I know it can be hard to ask for help but it’ll help your story- by not asking for help all you’re doing is hurting yourself and your story because if the grammar, spelling and technical isssues are bad enough people won’t read it and all your hard work and dreams of publishing an Episode story will go down the drain.

So if you have trouble with English and/or the technical aspect of an Episode story then PLEASE ASK FOR HELP! I and i’m sure countless other people would be more then happy to help you :blush:

Also I wanted to say that if you’re a reader and you come across a story with bad grammar, spelling and technical issues please don’t be mean to the author. Nicely tell them. You’ll get a lot further in life if you’re nice :wink:

3 Likes

I mostly label it as “poor grammar” if I see or read a story with such, but I am a proofreader and most of the people who I proofread for are native English speakers.

A lot of people hold the misconception that it’s only the non-native speakers that struggle with punctuation and grammar, but it definitely isn’t. For almost every story I’ve proofread, I’ve suggested at least 100 changes to the script, again, mostly for native English speakers.
It also isn’t just limited to punctuation and grammar, there are many difference between US English, UK English and everything in between; different spellings, different meanings, different phrases, different tenses.
It just goes to show just how difficult spelling, grammar and punctuation is and can be for anyone, but the difficulty for non-natives would be exponentially higher.

I’m in agreeance, it isn’t right to bully those that have poor grammar and spelling. Some people may come off as a tad bit too aggressive when it comes to judging stories and authors who don’t have proficient grammar and it’s likely that theirs isn’t perfect either.

I am one of the people who will stop reading a story if the grammar is poor (unless I’m proofreading it), but sadly, it doesn’t surprise me at all that there are many readers who don’t have any respect for authors who cannot write English to their standard and openly display their anger and distain.

I, myself sometimes show how much I do not like poor grammar (such as expressing that full stops/periods are a fundamental aspect of many languages which is a fact) or that it isn’t fair to proofreaders who have their suggestions completely ignored, but I never drag any specific authors or stories down and nor should anyone else.

2 Likes

It’s understandable that your grammar and spelling is not that good if your first language isn’t English (it isn’t mine, either).
If I’m being honest, it does bother me, especially when simple punctuation marks are “forgotten”, capital letters aren’t used and terms like “they’re” and “their” are being mixed up.
But, I will never hate and just suggesting (friendly) a proof reader.

But, there also authors whose first language is English or just know how to use grammar correctly, that just don’t do it on the correct way, 'cause it might be easier to type. I’m sorry, but in my opinion and in this case, that’s lazy :sweat_smile:

PS: If your first language is English, but you’re still struggling with grammar and spelling THEN THAT’S FINE :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

This :point_up_2:t2:

Sigh, nevermind. I just have a problem with people who continuously mix up where/were/we’re, there/they’re/their, you’re/your, too/to, etc., and mix up tenses because they can’t bother to look up the correct spellings.

Punctuation is also a big deal for me. Missing apostrophes, capitalization, etc…

But sometimes it’s not about being lazy or just guessing sometimes people genuinely get them mixed up. All it takes is for someone to say “I noticed a few grammar/spelling errors maybe you can get someone to do a proof read for you

It’d be interesting for me to even know why that happens in the first place. Like, okay they sound similar, but there’s some clear difference between the different words. I’m just confused, cause when you learn English as a second language (mostly like in school), this doesn’t really happen. Growing up it never crossed my mind that I might mix up ‘your’ and ‘you’re’, and yet Italian and English phonetics are very different :sweat_smile:

So I started thinking and concluded it could be due to people increasingly normalizing these mistakes. I see it everywhere, “why do you even care, everyone spells it wrong like that anyway”. Which is the opposite of how Italians react when they see a native speaker use bad grammar or even spelling.

Mostly I feel like it’s a cultural issue. Because even terms like ‘grammar nazi’ don’t exist in my language. Probably because being one is somewhat the norm, the majority of us strive to have decent grammar, spelling, and punctuation, especially if it’s in stories or docs. Sooo idk, I guess it annoys me that native speakers don’t get it right. It kinda feels like a betrayal you know, as in, I went through all these years of grammar, spelling, use of English, etc. to hopefully sound as close to native speakers as possible, only to find out my spelling is sometimes better than theirs :upside_down_face:

hurray for over 200 euros worth of language proficiency certificates in the trash :’)

jk

Obviously, these are just my impressions. Feel free to educate me more on this, because clearly I’m not a native English speaker. I don’t know what actually goes on in your brains. I just feel like––at least in my experience as an Italian native speaker––it’s common sense to pay extra attention to formal accuracy when you’re writing stories :woman_shrugging:t3:

No worries, it’s hard to explain really, some people as you point out are just lazy but I think it’s because these words are pronounced the same in English but spelt differently so for example saying

“You’re going home” sounds exactly the same as “your going” these sentences are said exactly the same way but one of them is grammatically incorrect.

It’s the same with To, Two and too
Each word is pronounced exactly the same but they all have different meanings.

If I was to say to you use the word “too” or “your” in a sentence without showing you the spelling I want you to use you wouldn’t know in which context to write in.

Without a clear difference in sound it’s really east to miss when we have used them incorrectly. So even if you read back through your own work because they sound the same it is not always easy to notice it