Stories With Eating Disorders? (possible trigger warning?)

Hi! So I’m writing (not published yet) a story called Bones. It’s about a girl struggling with anorexia, and her road to recovery. I don’t want to get into it more because I don’t want to accidentally spoil it lol, but I was thinking that not a lot of stories cover the topic because it is heavy, also I noticed in some stories that eating disorders are kind of fantasized about. Example: SelfHarmXreader (they exist on wattpad and it’s disturbing) It’s something that definitively shouldn’t be fantasized about. My story is more to create awareness, not a fantasy. (I did not mean to sound rude or to upset anyone with this post, if I did I’m sorry, I think it should be discussed. I have gone through an eating disorder before, and I’m doing a lot better now.) Do you think these stories are okay?

8 Likes

It’s definitely okay to write about in the context you’re providing.
I’m not writing about eating disorders myself, but one of the characters do go through it.
Stories that feature serious situations like that are rare, but they’re always something of a hidden gem.
I say go for it, because you’re obviously approaching it cautiously and with the attention to call awareness, not romanticize the situation.

2 Likes

I agree with @JiaGrace if you write about this theme after doing researchs and putting a trigger warning at the beginning of the chapter it should be ok. Some users may find it disturbing, expecially if they’re affected by these disorders or they have been through them.

2 Likes

Hello Lovely!
My story has very sensitive material included, By MC has eating disorders As well as a lot of other conditions, I think when a story is wrote correctly and these sensitive subjects are approached is the right way then then we can make awareness. and also put in the trigger warnings. I had episode go through my story about 3 times the episode admin just to make sure I had portrayed this correctly.

2 Likes

As long as you put a trigger warning and handle the subject in a respectful way, I think it is perfectly okay.
I love that you are making a story to raise awareness about this, its’s awesome. I would love to read it if/when you publish it!

1 Like

thank you! there is romance involved, but it’s not based off of the fact that she has anorexia if that makes sense? It is to create awareness, and i’m leaving hotline numbers in the story also, hopefully that may help.

2 Likes

i think they’re completely okay, as long as they ALWAYS have a trigger warning, you should include trigger warnings before each chapter to remind readers what they’re about to get themselves into, and possibly a chance to skip scenes that include explicit scenery or dialogue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.