Stories with Mary-Sue MCs

Quick Note: This thread is NOT to bash stories or the authors themselves. We’re just talking about the MCs in those stories and the problems (or rather, no problems) with them.

So, I’m curious: what stories on Episode have you read that had such boring MCs—nothing to them, or very little to them (list them down below)? It’s been a while since I’ve read on Episode, so I can’t really remember what stories I stopped reading because of a boring MC. But what about you? And before you post, stories with MC personality-related choices you can make do not count (what I mean is that you have the option to shape the MC’s personality based on the choices you make for them). Heck, maybe even state some advice on how new writers can avoid making a Mary-Sue MC!

9 Likes

They’re the epitome of a dry texter - the boring episode MCs

2 Likes

The MC from She’s Bad! is so annoying. I know that we’re not supposed to like her, but UGH. She physically annoys me. I had to quit reading because the MC was so annoying. She treated everybody like a doormat and was just so cocky!

8 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t like her. Her only hobbies were partying with Pixie and Molly (was that the pink-haired girl’s name? :thinking:)—which were awful friends, btw—and playing around with guys.

2 Likes

I dont want to blatantly say which stories these are in, there are some with ‘Mary-Sue’ esque MCs that I have genuinely enjoyed reading because of the supporting characters

But it seems like an ongoing trend for MCs just to have everything they want handed to them or achieved something so easily that its borderline unrealistic.

For example (and this is no story in particular) lets say the MC scored the highest grade in their grade after one night of studying with the LI. Or gets her LI to fall in love with her all the while being an absolute asshole (we all know the stories where the MCs are always slapping people for no reason).

There are no challenges or struggles along the way, no conflict or anything, they just have incredible luck with everything they do.

The Kiss List is a good example of this, how the MC just lands dates with people and manages to kiss them in the span of two days. Also the MC knows how to climb trees, skydive and drive racecars with ease

10 Likes

Yeah, like I know the MC’s family was rich, but did she really have the time to learn ALL of those things before the story started? I mean, come on, her family moved to many houses and many cities, so there can’t be a way for her to adapt to dangerous activities like these. Very unrealistic indeed.

3 Likes

I think her family being rich was really just thrown in there for convenience

1 Like

I cant remember any names in specific because i LEAVE QUICK

But i hate mc who are “perfect”
Good grades, nice, rich, everyone loves them, talented in everything, travels around the world
Oh and they can do ANYTHING even though they are in high school.
LIKE YOUR A MINOR
NO YOU CANT GET INTO A BAR OR TRAVEL TO EUROPE WITH A STRANGER FOR A WEEK!!!

Unrealistic things annoy me by far
And the mc being a damsel in distress is NOT a character trait or personality
What does a girl got to do to read about a women/ girl who can hold her own?

6 Likes

Hey Dramatic,

I have the same as @Liz_Mar.episode :point_right: I leave quick… Especially when the MC is to ‘innocent’ and (what @Liz_Mar.episode said, too) ‘perfect’. They can cook, clean, are pretty, rich and oh soo innocent. :roll_eyes: That’s not how it works in real life :no_mouth: When a MC is too perfect… I even don’t wanna read further. It doesn’t matter if the story line is good or the directing is awesome… It gives me the creeps, because a too perfect MC is not realistic.

4 Likes

Probably.

And @Liz_Mar.episode and @AngelWings1983, I agree with you both. Any “perfect” MC (especially if they’re in high school) ruins a whole story because nothing usually comes out of it except jealousy and question. If your life was perfect, it would be boring as heck.

5 Likes

@AwkwardNancy you won’t believe this, but I got to episode 6 of She’s Bad and I heard the most Mary-Sue line coming out of the MC’s brother’s mouth.

Summary

After the MC started crying and running away from the family table, the brother told Liam (the son of the rich guy Mathieu Le Blank) that she’ll be fine because “she’s not like other girls”. 🤦🏽 I have never quit out of a story and removed it any quicker than just now. I see why y’all hate that cliche line so much now. As of today, I officially hate that line (I heard it before in different words, but now I’m getting irritated). The worst part is that I don’t even understand what differs the MC in She’s Bad from all the other millions of girls in the world—is it because she’s a bad girl who sleeps around with many boys and clubs with friends? Or is it because of her dark past at high school? Because many other girls do that too.

3 Likes

Blegh! I’m on Episode 1 and refuse to read any further of the nightmare that is She’s Bad! Crappy writing, hideous directing, nasty coding, unicorn fart hair…Just NO! Episode, you can keep it!

3 Likes

:laughing::laughing:

I should’ve mentioned I was reading the original She’s Bad but it’s not like it matters anyway. The MC is awful, and so are the characters. Yeah, Episode was lucky to make that story even worse and make us hate it even more.

But back on topic, I looked deeper and Idk if it’s just me, but it looks like Hailey from Him and I could be a Mary-Sue. So far, the only hobby I see from her is running/taking a walk. Oh, and she also cares for her family (I guess). The problem with this story is how vague the title is. Many female readers are all over Hunter but so far, only Kaiden is all over her. Is he a love interest too? I really don’t understand what both of them even see in her anyway. 🤷🏽

3 Likes

I tend to give stories with these kind of characters for main characters a little time, because from riding experience for my main character from one of my stores, at first she made it seem like that, but that’s what she does to hide her demons insecurities and etc, but genuine Mary Sue main characters annoy the heck out of me

2 Likes

I completely agree. It’s also one of the main reasons I make sure I write a list of flaws for my MC, and a list of strengths and weaknesses. Then, I check to make sure I apply them in some shape or form, indirectly through their actions or mentioning it through people who know them.

4 Likes

Yeah, character development is good. Little to no development is not.

2 Likes

Bump!

Honestly most trending and many not trending stories are like this lol. I think the self insert vibe lends itself to that type of MC because of course people want to read about idealized versions of themselves as character archetypes. I think what bothers me more is when the MC is clearly flawed but never has to own up to anything. Like, reading about an MC who does everything right and is always nice and palatable is boring, but I hate reading about MCs who treat other people like garbage, but it’s not “wrong” because she’s the protagonist. Half the time the MC is worse than the Mean Girl ™ but we’re supposed to root for her anyway :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I can only think of 1 story with this type of MC, and I stopped reading it because of her.

1 Like

Bump!

1 Like