Stories with problematic/toxic plots?

This thread is not to bash authors and their stories. I just want to know what kind of stories portrays problematic/toxic plots.

I’ve been in this community since 2016 and I myself have witnessed how some of the stories’ plots are influenced getting to problematic/toxic?? (correct me if I’m wrong) I want to know about what you think.

5 Likes

Mafia stories in general I would say but I do love them… Overdosed is toxic and I love it😍

4 Likes

I agree with @Erossehh mafia stories do but also the CEO ones, and some high school ones where the guy is possessive. It’s just… it’s unrealistic and in reality, that’s NOT how we’d like to be treated :confused:

I wish people would take a more responsible route as it can give the impression that this is how “love” is supposed to be, and young people (13s -15), might even idolise this type of behaviour.

I know I did when I was 13-15 and didn’t know anything about relationships beyond episode and wattpad.

7 Likes

It’s very unrealistic, that’s true but isn’t that at the same time the “fun” stuff because you can zone in and don’t have to think about reality! At the same time, they need to do more research about the topics and not just air it because it can at least for younger people change their perspective of life!

4 Likes

Any story that uses:

Physical/ mental abuse as comedy.

Sexual assault/ abuse as a stupid n unnecessary plot line/ twist.

Dominance/power imbalance in a relationship e.g boss/employee, student/teacher.

Mis representation/ romanticising violence e.g mafia romance.

12 Likes

I agree! But you can tell when something is written by a teenager and something which is written by an adult or at least I do :sob::sob:

As a 20 y/o, things like that no longer appeal to me, but I understand why it does for others! I just don’t like the toxic and boarder line abusive behaviour that some writers romanticise.

I do LOVEEE the cheeky behaviours, like the LI winding up the M.C. :sob: but nothing that would be considered abusive.

I do agree 1000000% that research needs to be done!

2 Likes

That one mafia story The Empire. I haven’t read it, but I saw on an Insta post on the way Lion (what a dumb name for a LI btw) treats Akila (the MC), and it’s very problematic.

3 Likes

Yes!

The vast majority of mafia stories are full of toxicity, but what bothers me is that all these stories are in the trending section. Like whether it’s comedy shelf, or even romance they are EVERYWHERE. I don’t hate the authors, but I don’t understand that in 2021 there are people who don’t see any harm in romanticizing toxic relationships, and a dangerous male dominance when we have access to all possible means to educate ourselves. What disturbs me even more is the fact that episode does nothing to take down these stories.

7 Likes

thats why we need to get mafia they own shelf

7 Likes

Agreed! And a sci-fi shelf would also be lit.

5 Likes

Eek i was thinking about the same thing. But I would also like episode to be able to insert some kind of filter yk, so that we can search for a specific type of stories. Bc I feel like the different genre categories are not totally useful anymore, since there are more or less the same stories with the same plot

3 Likes

But they’re good and som authors actually do reasearch like overdosed

1 Like

Ofc and I’m not saying the opposite, that’s why I specified that most of them are problematic. And yes Overdosed was a good story!

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for this category for a long time, but I feel like we’ll never get it lol :cry:

3 Likes

I stop reading a story when:

• It’s a bad directed maffia story;

• It supports violence and physical abuse;

• It has too many black screens in it (I did it too in the past, but it irritates the hell out off me…);

• When the author is in the story every episode, taking away half of the time (I have my own character in my stories, too but I don’t put her in every episode :woman_facepalming:t2:);

• It supports racism against culture or the LGBTQ’+ Community;

• It is not compatible for 13 years olds (at least warn them beforehand if it’s an 18+ story);

• It supports toxic relationships.

If I miss something I let it know!! :clown_face:

7 Likes

I agree but you missed Kids, I hate kids in stories… even made a thread about it;

1 Like

Drugs though

1 Like

Actually, I don’t hate kids in a story. But I hate it when authors have three episodes about pregnancy. I have a few episodes about a kid in my story. For me I hate it when the story line is :poop: or the directing is awful. :wink:

2 Likes

Agree!

1 Like