Story And Character Tips From Me!

Hello, Welcome To My Topic! This Topic Will Cover Tips For Things Such As Writing Major Plot Points, Making A Character With Disorders From ADHD To Depression, It Will Cover Other Various Things As Well That Might Come In Handy For Writers! This Will Be An Ongoing Topic So I Will be Posting Tips On Writing/Characters/Etc Usually Daily So Make Sure You Set The Status To This Topic As “Watching” If You Want To Get Continuous Tips!
I Will Be Labeling Each Tip I Post On Here As Bunny’s Tip Number “Fill In The Blank” That Way Newcomers Who See This Topic Can Go Down To My Latest Post And See How Many Tips I’ve Posted Already! Not All Tips Are Mine A Lot Are Just Information I’ve Put Together And Research I’ve Done To Make Tips!

Oh! And Feel Free To PM Me On Here If There Are Any Tips You Want Me To Cover!!

The First Tip Is Down Below!

11 Likes

Bunny’s Tip Number 1

Making Characters

In This Tip We Will Be Covering A Simple Task, Making Characters. Its Not Uncommon To Find People Who Give Advice By Giving You A Google docs With 40-Something Questions. Well Forget All That! This Questionnaire That I Will Be Giving You Contains Only 4 Questions. Now I Know Some People May Like Filling Out Such Detailed Questionnaires But Many People Such As Myself Don’t. So Here Are The Questions.

Their Name

The Name Can Be Very Important In A Story. The Name Can Reveal So Much About A Person Such As Having The Last Name As A Certain CEO Or Someone Else Who Plays An Important Role In The Story. And I Hate To Sound Cliche But You Could Also Pick A Name That Sets The Tone/Vibe A Character Gives Off For Example A Playboy Could Be Named Something Like Chad, Whereas A Delicate Girl Who Lives In The Forest Could Be Named Faye. The Name Faye Could Set A Mode Of It’s Own, For Example: “Faye, Her Name Was Faye, Such A Fairy-Like Name, For A Beautiful Girl Sitting On A Tree Branch In A Long Flowy Dress With No Shoes In The Forest. As If She Was A Fairy Herself…” That’s What I Mean By A Name Can Set The Whole Mood.

Personality Type

As A Proud Harry Potter Fanatic I Myself Use The Hogwarts House Method. This Method Can Help You Build A Personality For Every Character. It Can Also, If Done Right, Help Readers Understand Why Characters Make Some Choices. By Placing A Character In A House You Build Their Personality And Actions Around The House Their In. A Good Thing About Using Such A Method Is It Can Work For Every Character No Matter How Little Their Seen. Think Of A Cheerful And Kind Flower Shop Owner That The MC Goes To Buy Flowers, That Character Could Be Placed In The Hufflepuff House. This Method Could Also Help You Know Whether Or Not Your Character Is Acting In Or Out Of Character According To Their House. As Each House Has Its Traits So Do Characters So You Can Take A Trait From Their House And Make It One Of Their Main Traits. By Matching The Trait With The Things You Know About Your Character Can Define Them Almost Completely.

Unique?

I Once Took A Creative Writing Class And We Had A Character-Building Exercise Where You Imagine Something That Your Character Is Wearing And The Tiny Details On It Or Even A Feature. The Details Should Go With Where Their From, Where Their Going, Their Dreams, And Their Nightmares. Here Is An Example, “As I Looked At Her Borrowing Books From Across The Library I Saw Dark Sloping Bags Under Her Eyes. I Had Actually Always Seen Her In Library And Never The Dorms, What Was She Working So Hard For That She Could Never Rest Properly…?” As I Said The Small Details Tell A Lot About A Person And So Do the Big Ones Like Their Dreams, Here Is Another Example, “It Was Finally Graduation, Time To Leave The Academy And Look To the Future. I Never Got Close To That Mysterious Girl In The Library, But All I Know Now Is That She Became A Doctor And Went Into The Woods, Where She Went From There, No One Knows…” That Character Worked Hard To Become A Doctor And Went Into The Woods, Then Disappeared, Her Dream To Become A Doctor And Her Sudden Disappearance Are What Made Her Unique, Are What Gave Her That Mysterious Charm.

Role

The Characters Make The Story, The Story Makes The Character And The Author Makes It All. If You Are Going To Fill Out These Questions But You Don’t Have A Role For Your Character Just Rip The Page Out Of Your Notebook And Burn It. Having A Role For A Character Lets You Know What Kind Of Person You Need Your Character To Be. The Murderer, The Love Interest, The Father-Figure, The Best Friend, All These Are Important Roles And By Knowing Their Roles You Know How They Should Be Made, What Personality They Should Have, And Their Goals.

I Hope This Helped You! See You Here Tomorrow Where I Will Talk About Another Tip! Hope To See You Then!

7 Likes

Thank you for the lovely tips, I’ll definitely be using these! Also I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, but it’s a bit tricky for people to follow along with how the words are capitalized. I just thought you should know. But thank you for the post and I’ll be watching. :sparkles:

2 Likes

I’m So Sorry! I Will Make Sure Not To Do That Tomorrow! It’s Just Always Been A Weird Habit Of Mine! So Glad you Enjoyed It Though!

4 Likes

Just added this topic to “Watching”.

1 Like

Bunny’s Tip Number 2

Relationships That Readers Will Love

In today’s tip we will be covering a problem a lot of writers have, making a raw relationship that your readers will love. Now I understand that a lot of authors don’t make romance stories so I will include a sheet of rare boy names at the end that way those authors get a little something out of today! Back to today’s tip though! I feel as though a lot of authors even the well-known ones tend to make the readers feel like the relationship is forced and unnatural. I have even had this problem myself due to my indifference in the past. Remember a romance you want for the reader is a romance that will give them, “second-hand infatuation”. When they’ll feel that way, as most readers might, they will most likely place themselves in the Mc’s (Female Lead, Male Lead, Or Just The Lead’s) shoes. A well written romance can make a reader blush and the good news is could even compensate for a rather cliche plot.

Is It Needed?
As much as I and anyone I know loves a good romance, is it really needed? Too often I find stories about super cool Mc’s that are either having a personal journey of self-discovery, or just living life, having adventures, and being someone a reader really looks up to, find a “lover” out of nowhere. If you are just adding a love interest for the sake of adding a love interest, then the romance might not flow well with the story. I’m not saying you can’t though! But if you do it might be harder to keep your story’s focus on the original main idea of it.

Suddenly We’re In Science Class?
Chemistry. One of the most important factors in a relationship. Now what I mean by chemistry is the two (Or more) characters should compliment each other. For example if he’s loud, stubborn, obnoxious, and opinionated, the type of love interest that might fit him is a calm, understand, soft-spoken, but firm kind of love interest. Or if you have a big, scary, calm, softie, they could be paired with a small, energetic, protective shortie. Two people who are both extremely opinionated, and headstrong would often butt heads in a relationship and might find it hard to agree on anything. As much as I love differences in characters, they shouldn’t be completely different to the point that someone might feel alone in the relationship. In math a negative and a positive will always equal a negative, that shows that as different as the characters are they shouldn’t be the exact opposite. Plus relationships with people who are polar opposites will feel forced among readers. They don’t have to have common traits though, it could be the way they grew up that was the same, their morals, or even their motivation. By having them be able to relate to each other they will be able to help each other.

Examples

6e3cc3e44621653503462c9ce90132ae
3d5b2f8176279c47fd279e55876ed3b2
c84bd1f708d1172f3d56d484e2aad506

I Love A Good Candle…
slowburn, slowburn, slowburn. These relationship are loved among readers. If you make your characters fall in love right off the bat the readers will think only one thing, Forced. There can of course be attraction but I don’t think genuine feelings of love at first sight exist. You want your characters to become closer as people, feel at ease around the other, and get to know each other before falling head-over-heels. Readers want what they can’t have. Why do you think on stories with slow-burn relationships get so many reads? That’s because the author loves to dangle their love for each other like a treat in front of a dogs (The readers) nose. This results in binge-reading, the readers will want this so much that they will keep coming back for more. Teasing can be a beautiful thing. Now, “How do we perfect these slow-burns?” you might be asking, Use the Show-And-Tell method. That means that show signs first, have them go against the public norms for each other, stand up for one another, break their routine for the other, for example, a guarded, grumpy character, could lower their walls to support the love interest. Now be aware scenes like these will be kinda awkward, this is because the character that is changing their normal behavior for someone they care about could be uncomfortable for them, but that shows how much they care for the other character, the fact that they step into such uncomfort voluntarily for the person they care about. As much as people will love these cute little emotional moments there should also be a sense of distance. Make the characters deny their true feelings, and if you need to make them kinda dense that way they don’t believe or know about their current feelings. Another road you could take is when a character realises their feelings they might distance themselves from the other so they can figure their feelings out. But all stories come to an end so keep that distance until the last hurrah and leave your readers satisfied with the journey.

Google Translate?
*(fill in the blank) * clicks translate * (I love you) * blushes in reader mode *
An example is a story I once read, the female lead was a maid and the male lead was the son of a duke. The son of the duke had realised his feelings for his childhood maid (take into account she was only 3 years older and he was a sick small child) whenever he was around the maid in his teenage years he would tell her, “I’m glad your my maid” he always told her that when she was cleaning his room or bringing him breakfast. And whenever he would say that he would look at her with a warm smile. The readers obviously interpreted this into “I love you” but in his own special way. This works because there’s a sense of distance, yet a feeling of warmth to his words, it works with the whole Show-And-Tell method, and another reason why it works is because the phrase “I love you” can get boring, its overused in so many stories when there are so many other ways to say it. If you want to use this method come up with a phrase that can be repeated throughout the story until it has a meaning of love from one character to another.

Break Time!
As I said before you should at one point have a character distance themself in a story. It helps create tension and the other character might feel sad during this time it could also be a good opportunity to have a character realise their true feelings. Make sure the break doesn’t last too long though! Or make sure that the break is at least progressive.

Happily Ever After?
Remember even though I said make sure to leave the readers satisfied, you can do that in so many ways, sometimes things don’t work out for whatever reason. Having an ending where the reader craves more can be a good move.

Credit To @Bernice_J For Coming Up With A More Appropriate Term For Well-Known Authors That I Was Able To Use!

Hello! Here is The Bonus! Rare Boy Names!

Rare Boy Names:
Kye
Theoden
Miliano
Shane
Kyst
Kit
Zaugustus
Cherauno
Caleb
jacobi
Nicolai
Hames
Cassian
Jakoda
Allenon
Lothair
Kade
Jodan
Castriel
Rosaine
Christophen
Lukariah
Cristiano
Mordecai
Jasper
Nikolaj
Bradley
Charolais
Jourdaine
Adriel
Cimmerian
Rhyes
Aumatage
Tobias
Allesio
Caspian

I Hope This Helped You! See You Here Tomorrow Where I Will Talk About Another Tip! Hope To See You Then!

5 Likes

I’m writing my first story - a romance - and I SO needed this! Thank you so much, these tips will be really useful :blush:

1 Like

I’m So Glad I Could Help You!!
:two_hearts: :ribbon: :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Bunny’s Tip Number 3

Real Mental Illnesses And What They Should Look Like In Your Story

Hello friends, today’s tips won’t be the brightest because I am going to talk about the reality of different mental illnesses, and how you should write them if included. Warning to people who may have some and would rather not read about them this list will include, depression, OCD, eating disorders in general, anxiety, PTSD, ADHD, and autism. I do not have all of these so I did some research for them and I hope I represent them well in this post, that way some writers may stop romanticizing certain topics, or writing them wrong. Ok so here we go!

Romanticized depression:
Empty eyes, always good at something artistic like drawing, wears dark clothing and emo hair.

Real depression
Bloodshot eyes, might no longer trust themselves with objects like pencils, hasn’t showered in five days. Sleeping maybe one hour a night to sleeping maybe 12-15 hours through the day. And with depression it’s either no eating or overeating with your brain.

Romanticized-ish OCD (I guess it really does depend):
Clean room, organized things like books, colored pencils, etc, outfits that are color coordinated.

Real OCD:
Picking little holes in your skin, racing and intrusive thoughts, checking doors to make sure their locked, flipping a switch 10 times so that you don’t do something out of the ordinary.

Romanticized eating disorders:
Slim, on the beautiful side, refuses second helping while blushing from shyness maybe, might even be a dancer or something like that.

Real eating disorders:
Eroded teeth from excessive vomiting, hair growing all over your freezing body, puffy cheeks, refusing to eat things like carrots due to them being high in carbs. exercising excessively just to vomit. Using laxatives to lose weight as well. And then after this they are at risk of infertility, osteoporosis, heart damage, etc. (BTW this is me talking about eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa.)

Romanticized anxiety:
A smol soft lil bean that needs to be protected at all costs.

Real anxiety:
Biting your thumb or lip when your nervous to the point where their bleeding. Crying so hard you get to the point of throwing up. Shivering and shaking on the ground, losing sleep over time after after the “okay” point

Ok so with PTSD there can be a lot of different symptoms so I don’t think I really have much to romanticize so here is just PTSD

Real PTSD:
Flashbacks, dreams of certain events, flinching at high-fives, can’t feel hands, and suddenly questioning where you are, what year it is, and what happened, avoiding people, places, things, or memories that remind the trauma. intense physical responses when reminded of the event such as heart racing, fever rising, and out of breath.

Romanticized ADHD:
Compared to a cute puppy who can’t focus, Oh look there’s a squirrel! Ooh look at this pretty penny! Just a fidgety, puppy-like loveable little carrot.

Real ADHD:
Rereading same page over and over again because it doesn’t make sense. Last time you did something such as laundry was near four months ago, reality is a scary thing so you look at a mushroom hyperfocusing, to make the scary reality seem cute.

Romanticized Autism:
Adorable awkward, loveable, huggable, cute when confused penguin. A Rain Man -someone who makes random statements with no intention like randomly saying, “I like penguins” Has amazing memory.

Real Autism:
Melting/shutting down when stressed by stupid things. worrying about how/whether you interpret people’s cues/making so that your speaking tone sounds correct for context, or whether their weirded out or uncomfortable by things you said, sensory issues that can drive you crazy. Not adaptable to sudden changes in plans and freaking out.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this thread!! I am currently writing a story that is bringing awareness to mental illnesses and this is very helpful information :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this thread it’s beautiful :heart_eyes: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Bunny’s Tip Number 4
Hey Friends! I Felt Really Sick This Morning But I Feel Better Now So I’m Sorry For The Late Post! Since I Was So Late in Posting I Included A Bonus Tip, I Hope You Find These Helpful!!

The Importance Of Normalcy In Your Story

The Importance Of Normalcy
No matter what genre you write, it’s important to include normalcy!
In sci-fi this gives you a chance to convince your reader of the reality of your characters and world. We understand the family dynamics, we understand the pet dynamics, we understand gardening and doing the dishes. Including the mundane gives us a connecting point no matter how bizarre the protagonist is. I’ll relate to a blue-skinned, jellyfish-like alien if I see them doing something I also do.

In suspense, normalcy helps create breathing room. Everyone needs to eat. Everyone needs to sleep. Don’t hesitate to show the protagonist and someone they care about going out for ice cream after a win. Without that normalcy, people will get confused and will have a hard time suspending their disbelief.

This is important even in contemporary romance. Give your characters hobbies. Give them something that creates a feeling of relatability.

It is sure to make your story ten times better!!

Bonus Tip! Writing Trans Characters Do's And Don'ts!

Writing Trans Characters Do’s And Don’ts!
I’ve noticed that not many stories include trans characters. I think the reason might be is they don’t have that much information on how to represent them. So here are a few Do’s and Don’ts!

Do’s
Do Treat them like regular people, like actual human beings, because they are people, not just trans.
Do mention they’re trans at some point, because proper representation is important- it doesn’t have to be a huge reveal, it can just be one sentence, it can be totally offhand.
Do be confident about including trans characters in any setting- there have been trans people since there has been gender, there’s no context in which their presence makes no sense.
Do research things like binders, tucking, and hormone therapy if you don’t know anything about them.

Don’ts!
Don’t do that thing where a character’s like, “I was Steve… but now call me… Stevette.”
Don’t include a trans character simply for the purpose of fetishisation.
Don’t feature unsafe practices like binding with bandages unless it’s really crucial to the plot, somehow. (If you DO want to include unsafe binding, make sure both the reader AND the character learns that it is, in fact, unsafe.)
Don’t Use the phrase “trapped in the wrong body” or outdated terminology like, “transsexual”- all of which can be easily researched- because it’s honestly not correct.

Here’s A Link Where You Can Learn The Difference Between Transsexual And Transgender!!
Click Me!!

6 Likes

Bunny’s Tip Number 5
Hello Friends!! I Included An Extra Kinda Goofy Little Something Today Because I Really Felt Inspired!! This Topic Already Has 10 Likes!! Thank You To All The People Who Are Watching It, Your Gesture Really Means A Lot!!

Types Of Character Flaws!

Types Of Character Flaws!
No one’s perfect, that’s a known fact, that means that you characters shouldn’t be perfect either. Everyone has flaws, those things they might dislike about themselves. Adding flaws and perfect imperfections can make your character relate to so many readers. By making both the character and the reader relate to each other, the reader can build sort of an unsaid bond.

Minor Character Flaws
These flaws are inconvenient, but don’t make or break a character. Maybe a quirk, or a negative thought or feeling.

• Sarcastic
  • Know-It-All
  • Self-deprecating
  • Minor Fear (For instance spiders, clowns, cows, etc)

Major Character Flaws
These flaws are central to a character and often come from some sort of experience that shapes the character

• Prejudiced
  • People-pleaser
  • Paranoid
  • Selfish
  • Defining Fear (Such as fear of abandonment, failure, etc)

Fatal Character Flaws
This flaw defines a character and represents something they need to overcome that is keeping them from reaching their goal. A character must recognize and defeat this flaw or it will defeat them.

• Life-Changing Fear (Fear of death, inferiority, etc)
  • Loyal To The Dead
  • Pride/Ambition
  • Holding Grudges or Prejudices

Tragic Character Flaws
A tragic flaw kills a character. When someone doesn’t defeat their fatal flaw, they may become a villain and their tragic flaw will be their undoing.

• Need for praise becomes tied to entire identity
  • Grudges become all-consuming
  • Pride or ambition starts driving every decision and erases conscience
Random Character Quirks!

Random Character Quirks!
Just Some Adorable Quirks For Any Character!

• Can’t Whistle (Wishes They Could)
  • An Absolute Cheapo Who Saves All Their Coupons
  • Runs A Cat Blog
  • Wears Hats All The Time
  • Loves Reading Poetry And Writing It
  • Scared Of Birds
  • Listens To Christmas Music All-Year-Round
  • Awful Driver And Knows it
  • Writes And Illustrates Children’s Books
  • Watches Mostly Old Movies

7 Likes

Can I just tell you how freaking helpful these are??

2 Likes

Ah yes thank you!