Story genres - favorite and difficult ones

FAVORITE TO WRITE & READ (for me): Fantasy/Historical/Romance

DIFFICULT TO WRITE (for me): Comedy (I think you’re naturally funny or you’re not… if you’re not, you probably shouldn’t write it…lol) & Fantasy (you have to create rules to an entirely made up world, species, animal, etc… It can be fun, but difficult when limitations on each fantasy creation must be made clear.)

2 Likes

Easiest to write for me is comedy. Everything just flows when I’m writing comedy stories
Most difficult to write would be fantasy (even though it’s my favourite genre to read on the app) and horror/thriller. I don’t like any horror or thriller stuff so writing in it would just make me feel lost and writing in fantasy just seems like it takes a lot of planning and I cba for that lol

5 Likes

Comedy is the easiest for me to write in.

Horror, Thriller or Action would probably be the hardest. I just… honestly would not know how to end a story in that genre. I’d probably get a three episode pilot done and then abandon it due to too many unforeseen plot holes hahahaha

5 Likes

I have the same problem but with Comedy! I just don’t know what kind of characters should I create and what the whole plot should be about.
I think that if I ever try to write the Comedy story it will probably have a lot of dark moments in it.

1 Like

Bahaha, I know what you mean. But I find that with every attempt at other genres, I always slip in humour. Like I just can’t be proper serious all the time lol :rofl:

3 Likes

And it’s funny because I’m always craving for some comedy in other stories. :thinking:

1 Like

Romance is the hardest for me.

Comedy is the easiest one for me.

3 Likes

I see what you mean! When I was younger it was easy for me to think of a good fantasy story but now it’s just so difficult sometimes.

1 Like

Yeah, as I said before romance stories can be really tricky.

2 Likes

My favorite genre to write is comedy, not sure if I’m funny but I’ll have to trust my readers lol. Any other genre is hard for me. I have tried both fantasy and adventure so far and they both ended up being lowkey comedies😆 Eh. I blame it on my insecurity in my writing skills that I often mask with sarcasm.

3 Likes

Hey, it’s okay! I actually really like reading ”mixed” stories, for example: adventure with comedy - it’s a great combo!

1 Like

Me too! I think pure comedy (so usually sketches or parodies) is a little bit boring and has no soul. Well written comedy elements can make any story better! But that’s the thing, they need to be well written. I like the genre, but stories on Episode hardly ever make me laugh. That’s why I think I like drama the most, when it comes to reading.

3 Likes

I agree. There are many great romance stories or drama ones out there, meanwhile only some of the comedy ones are well written and amusing.

2 Likes

Fantasy and sci-fi are my favorite genres to write in for sure! I love these two genres the most for sure and they’ve always been my favorite. I don’t think I’ve ever actually written a story WITHOUT any kind of sci-fi or fantasy elements… lol

The hardest genres? For me it would probably be comedy, romance, and horror. I’m an awkward human being and have never been what I would call romantic or funny. lol So that definitely makes them hard genres for me to understand. And I don’t even LIKE watching horror movies, they give me super bad night terrors so that genre goes without saying. :joy:

2 Likes

So as I! After watching scary movies I can’t go anywhere at night. I just curl in my quilt and think of something nicer.

1 Like

And also sci-fi stories for me are really hard to write. That’s probably because Fantasy or Sci-Fi genres are not my favorite. :thinking: (although some of the stories from that genres are worth reading!)
So I admire the fact that these type of episodes are easy for you. :smile:

2 Likes

I’d say my favourite to read are drama and comedy. My favourite to write is probably drama :wink: My least favourite to read is Romance :face_vomiting: and I’m horrible at writing mystery :smile:

1 Like

Hi!
You know, sometimes I really want to read some romance (although I understand that someone can not fancy it) but only if it contains some drama, mystery or comedy, it also depends on the plot.

(and also I love reading/writing drama stories too) :grinning:

1 Like

Favorite to read: Romance and Thriller.
Hardest to write: Romance and Mystery.

I’ve never fallen in love so… and also, I’ve never known how to branch out a mystery and make actual hidden meanings and stuff. Authors who are able to do that are amazing in my opinion. It’s crazy how much shit you can miss when reading a mystery story; that get’s revealed later on, and it’s what draws me into the genre, honestly. Romance is always nice to read too (if it has a good plot.) Thriller movies are my favorite kind of movies, and manga (psychological.) It’s enjoyable, but not Horror movie crap. I find the Horror genre to be a total joke, consisting of jump scares. I can get scared without jump scares… stop with the jump scares… (not Episode authors. )

3 Likes

most favorite: comedy & romance
most difficult: probably mystery or thriller. i just suck lmao.

2 Likes