Story got banned. No warning, nothing. Thanks, Episode review team,

I’m so sorry this happened to you. It sucks especially to come about so suddenly. I can only imagine that some hater somewhere complained and they suddenly decided to take it down. I wish I’d had a chance to read your story before that, it sounds cool. Do you have an off-site backup of the code? Whenever I write I save the whole thing as a text file on my local computer in case of server frack ups. I hope it isn’t all lost.

9 Likes

I was wondering, “why now?” when I’ve asked for not just a review many times, but according to them, it “may have already been in the queue” months ago.

Everyone who gets a review, and even those who don’t, would get warnings on their stories having content the team wants removed. I didn’t get that. I followed up with a second ticket, asking exactly why now did they choose to wait if it REALLY heavily violated guidelines? It’s not like I was trying to hide the story: more like the opposite, and I reached out for a REVIEW. What kind of writer who is deliberately violating TOS would want someone to review their story prior?

A report has to be possible. I think some ppl in the past mass reported a story and it got taken down until Epi reversed it (so much for the “irreversible and cannot be undone” part). This is just so frustrating, and the ban’s has gotten some traction on Reddit funny enough. Nobody can understand why this happened, or how it happened without warning. Especially since Episode officials violate their own damn TOS all the time. My story is against crime; meanwhile, they’re fine with ROMANTICIZING crime, like gangs, kidnapping and abuse. Ok episode lol.

14 Likes

Agreed, and celebrating toxic masculinity and sexism

9 Likes

Hi, as a fellow author who has also had a story banned, I feel for you :heart:

My story if you wanna read (it's ok if not)

Like I spent hours coding and editing my story in an uncomfortable position :sob: Mine was just about a teenage girl achieving her dreams and yeah, everyone might be crazy in my story, but that’s just how I write (like cartoon violence and stuff lol) :joy: Looking back, I just laugh now that it’s gone, and just moved it onto a different platform + have other plans for it :joy: One of my reasons was actually for advertising outside stuff. This was because I mentioned I got the information from Wikipedia. I mean, as someone in the academic field, it’s really important to give credit (ik Wikipedia isn’t the best though lol) but still, I feel that citing is a good technique. Like I didn’t understand how I was advertising Wikipedia :scream: Should I not attribute credit :sob: I think I might just hold an anniversary for when my story was banned. The wound heals with time :heart: Though, I still don’t believe it’s ban-worthy :person_shrugging: :heavy_heart_exclamation: I do think if I lose another story, I probably will stop writing on episode because it’s a lot of work to code :sob: But I won’t give up on writing :nerd_face:

Like, my heart truly goes out to you :heart: So sorry to hear that happened to you :heart: and the fact that there was no warning :scream:

11 Likes

Oh wow! That’s absolutely terrible. I’m so sorry that happened to you. Episode can be so hypocritical sometimes. And the fact that they didn’t even bother to warn you… insane. :sob:

11 Likes

It’s so insulting. The drives I’ve paid for. The art. The number of GEMS I earned. None of that mattered to Episode. So quick to steal people’s money (gems being microtransactions.) Disgusting and I doubt they’ll fix this. I know the “this decision is irreversible” is untrue. I know I’ve seen people on the forums say their story was falsely banned, and Epi team had no issue bringing it back. Why else would it still be on the portal?

I’m never writing on the app again. Only with collaborators that have the same interests. But I cancelled my VIP package too. Had I known sooner, I would’ve never renewed it. Unacceptable behavior and an insult to small authors. One chapter could take me two weeks of coding and directing. I wish they’d reverse the decision, but we know they won’t.

12 Likes

You’re a much better person than I am. That sounds even more tame and innocent than my story: oh no! An inspirational story! We can’t have THAT!

I’m not even considering writing on the app anymore, unless they restore my story or REVIEW IT PROPERLY. Not give some BS TOS copy and paste and call it a day. Besides, how the hell can they expect me to continue writing if I don’t even know exactly what NOT to do in a new story? They couldn’t bother giving a warning before, how the hell should I risk wasting more time writing for the app? Are they serious? They couldn’t do their damn job before, why should I trust them to do it now?

10 Likes

Yeah, she was literally standing up against her bullies. As someone who’s been bullied, it made me super happy to write about someone who did speak up and fight back because I never had the chance to 'cause I was super shy (I’m still kinda quiet lol)…but yeah, no, Episode didn’t seem to like that. But stories with MCs falling for bullies are OK? It’s not fair :sob: What message does that send?! (I really don’t like that trope :confused: ) But can’t do anything :joy:

Time did heal everything though and despite the ban, I still held onto hope. I didn’t see it as the end, but as a an opportunity to take my story elsewhere where I can voice my creativity how I want :blob_sun:

9 Likes

Well, I couldn’t sleep so I decided to pop on here and I want to say sorry that this happened to you and that Episode’s “guidelines” are as arbitrarily applied as they are vaguely written. And they’ve done this to countless other writers- most I’m assuming never say anything and just leave - but still, it shouldn’t happen.

Not to mention the number of guidelines they allow bigger authors (specifically Romance genre featured authors) to break simply because they bring in more money.

Again, I’m so sorry that this happened and I do hope they take your ticket and actually help you. I’ve been working on a thriller/mystery and this is making me re-think making it into an Episode story.

11 Likes

Omg Noo! All the g4g :smiling_face_with_tear: not only that but your hard work and time dedicated to this story

4 Likes

So let me get this straight.

Your lovely MC appropriately defended herself against her aggressors. OH NO, THAT’S A VIOLATION!

An Official Story: A boy who’s tormented you since elementary school is abusive to you during high school. In the end of the sh*tshow, he admits he did all that b/c he loved the MC.

Episode: Yes, this is okay. Totally appropriate for our 12+ audience!

12 Likes

Agreed. Greed is all what reeks from this ban. Unacceptable and incredibly unethical. How lazy can someone be to just…oh I don’t know, review a story (a person who asked repeatedly to, mind you, so she can make changes) and just let them know what to change? Someone who had the story FOR FOUR MONTHS now and has 9 chapters?

Such a disgusting precedent.

5 Likes

Thriller/mystery/horror (my story fell under thriller/horror) is pretty risky because somehow, mature themes ARE NOT allowed.

…in thriller and horror. You know, such genres that you wouldn’t exactly expect rainbows and cutesy romances in high school. Why even have those genres at all?

6 Likes

I’ve wondered that about a couple of their genres. Based on their guidelines - anything but a romance or cutesy comedy story is a risk to authors. What’s the point of offering props like knives and swords, animations like “stab” and “shoot”? What’s the point of giving bruises and bloody clothes?

12 Likes

THAT’S WHAT I’M SAYING IEOGOIWAGMOIWOGMIA. You might as well replace pistols with water guns, lingerie with granny panties, and now I discovered they have a “3 punch” rule in fights.

…except…except they have a LOOP PUNCHING ANIMATION.

14 Likes

I’m so sorry this happened to you! :frowning:

4 Likes

Ty. I submitted a ticket and the thread on Reddit really picked up traction.

Shocking, or then again, it shouldn’t be. It’s insulting, really. All those hours of directing with terrible back pain and strained eyes lol. Clearly they haven’t read the story if they think it promoted self-harm or glorified it. And there’s no way I can trust them to handle any other story written since they can’t even pinpoint what was wrong with this one.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry that happened! Episode has a lot of work to do to prove they truly care about the community. Being the creator of the app gives them no right to be hypocritical when it comes to guidelines. I hope this gets resolved swiftly and that you don’t lose your time, effort, and earnings!

4 Likes

I really hope that Episode soon realise the mistake they have made and undo the wrong thing that they have done.

4 Likes