Story pacing - please explain it to me

Hi, English is not my native language and despite of using a dictionary I but struggle with the word “pacing”.

I am getting compliments on the pacing of my story but I am not sure what it means :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

Is there some difference between the story speed and pacing? Or is it the same just for writing is more used word pacing?

Can pacing be used in another context than “story speed”?

1 Like

yeah they like how smooth it runs and the timing thing happen :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

LOL soooo… Look at you go :clap: :clap:

I found this online “Pacing refers to the speed at which the action takes place.

so basicly it is synonym for story speed, right?

1 Like

:slight_smile: yes correct :ok_hand:

thanks.because I have found also this on google:
Walk at a steady speed, especially without a particular destination and as an expression of anxiety or annoyance.

And I got confused af :smiley:

also it for some reason translated it to my language as word used for stimulation… :rofl:

1 Like

yeah i get you i dont understand either

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: I love that!

1 Like

People usually pace when they are waiting for something
it’s like they have a certain line on which they are walking non stop like in a loop bc they’re nervous until that something or someone arrives
example:

Hope it helped :heavy_heart_exclamation:

OOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK… now I got confused again. :smiley: Basicly it has more meanings…

1 Like

yeah its most of people do it when they’re angry, nervous, thinking …

1 Like

Adding to what’s been said above, basically they’re saying that your story is progressing at just the right speed. Sometimes authors make their stories progress so slow that readers lose interest, sometimes they progress so fast that it’s hard to digest what’s really happening. It’s a great compliment to receive because a lot of people tend to struggle with speed!

1 Like

I think pacing is just how well you’re stories timeline events flow together

1 Like