Story Pet Peeves?

For the little things that bother you about episode stories/episode itself/life in general/etc.

For me, don’t you hate it when you’re reading a story and at the very end the author or the narrator starts asking the questions the readers were supposed to ask themselves? For example, let’s say in the story character “A” gets shot, and when the story ends the author will be there asking “will A be okay?” To me, this feels like they’re clearly telling the player what they’re supposed to think/feel. But the good thing about Episode is the fact that it allows you to tell your stories in a VISUAL way. That’s why good stories use the “show, don’t tell” move. You shouldn’t have to ask questions for your players, your story should be good enough that it leaves the players asking themselves these questions without you hammering in into their heads.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Maybe I am crazy, who knows? But anyways, what pet peeves do you have?

5 Likes

One of my pet peeves is when in the beginning of a story starts with the author talking about how ‘it will be a short episode because of all the coding!’ and ‘my English won’t be the best because I’m not native’ even ‘it’s my first story so it won’t have any choices’

7 Likes

yeah. that is frustrating. like why are you telling me this? especially because I am at a point where I mostly can figure out what is gonna happen in a story halfway through, sometimes in the first ten minutes I figured out the entire plot. so when they do the is she gonna survive. of course she is, she is the mc you are not fooling anyone

4 Likes

i did that. not saying my story was short cause it was not. and i had a lot of choice but i told i am dyslexia and not english. you wont belive how many people complain over grammar.

2 Likes

Honestly I feel like I have a bit of a problem with authors making an appearance in the story at all. By this I mean when they come out to explain something about the story. There are times when the author appears as a character in the story but I usually feel like, if it’s done well, it’s a really nice touch. But, to me, when the author comes out and explains something I feel like it’s either because:

1. They want to excuse the low quality of their story. That way, when people criticize them, they can go back to the “I explained it’s not good because enter reason here so you can’t be mean to me!” Newsflash; yeah they can. If you really want to improve, you’ll need criticism. That’s just how it is.
  2. They didn’t want to explain something about the story inside of the story and just decide to be the ExpositionBot™️ Explain every.single.detail.
    This is mostly seen when the author “brings out the characters” and explains their backstory and personalities. Isn’t that something that could very easily be seen in the story? Again, show don’t tell.
4 Likes

Lol and even when they manage to have me asking myself if the MC is gonna make it, by just coming out and asking the exact same question I’m immediately like “oh yeah, she’s making it.”

2 Likes

I hate all that explaining. I fell like episode is supposed to be presented like a movie(tv show) not a book. you dont explain what is happening in a movie you show it

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

2 Likes

authors putting all the main characters in at the beginning of the story, just to explain who they are and why they’re there. like just let me readddd

6 Likes

If authors make some grammar mistakes I totally understand because no one is perfect, especially if that person isn’t native to the language! But when some authors make grammar/spelling all the time, I’m less likely to continue reading their story. Also, there are many beta/test readers that can help correct your story, if you ever need to.

3 Likes

i know i am doing evrything i can to make grammar as good as i can in my story. but they people still fell like they need to point out i misseed a puntion mark or did nto capitalise a few letters

2 Likes

Layering stuff is my pet peeve, mostly just because it’s really jarring and gets me out of the moment.

2 Likes

Author notes

6 Likes

Huh, didn’t realize they had a name. But, yeah, author notes. Thanks for letting us know!

2 Likes

It’s my pet hate too

1 Like

This is such a petty thing for me and it doesn’t actually affect me reading the story but…

I hate it when the speech bubbles don’t line up with the characters properly.
If they’re too big, too small, they don’t move, or it’s obvious that they’re default placement, it just gets on my nerves so quick :joy:

5 Likes

I really hate “meeting” characters. Like really. Hate. It. It’s just that episode is providing with you the easiest way to write a story using the show not tell rule. Like use this tool to your advantage! Ugh, I want to know the characters through their actions not through some exposition shit that the author threw in there since the characters have no personality.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.