Struggling with character ages

So I’ve been writing my story, and I’ve essentially made it around final year of high school (more so the final 3 months of high school)… now I am having second thoughts.

I would like to know what you as a reader prefer to read?

A story where the characters are in high school… 17-18 years of age or more of an age like 20+ and either in college (university) or working.

4 Likes

I would prefer something like 17-18 years. Idk why tho, maybe because young love is cuter?

3 Likes

I like young love too because you can sort of grow with them as well.

2 Likes

I personally prefer older characters as I am also in my 20s, but you should write about what YOU prefer, not what other people prefer! There is a massive audience for high school stories :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I prefer characters who are somewhere between 20-25… only just because I think high schools are a bit overused on episode :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I prefer ages 17-26

1 Like

Honestly, it depends. I like reading about college age, but I prefer to write 25-30 characters. It’s really personal preference.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter. Except highschool is overused tbh.

2 Likes

That’s why I’m struggling I don’t want it to be just another high school story

2 Likes

I probably would prefer id the mc is 17-18 because idk I just fall in love w them stories :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sweat_smile: However I’ve also read stories where theyre older and love them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: All that matters is that you enjoy writing it :blob_hearts:

2 Likes

this conflicts me lol… i might leave the story 17-18 for that reason.

1 Like

I don’t choose stories based on the MC age, to be honest - there can be a cute teenage story and also a nice more mature story - if the characters are lovable and 3D and act according to their age it will be fine no matter what you will choose.

3 Likes

It could be during the summer or before college as well

1 Like

I’m the same, the age doesn’t bother me… just I know some readers it does and I know I can’t please everyone. So I’m thinking of sticking to what I’ve started as I am finding it very hard to start writing about them 20+.

1 Like

I personally prefer characters over 20-21 but it’s your story so write whatever you prefer and want to write!

1 Like

It personally doesn’t matter for me. Most people typically like their characters to be as young as they can be but still a legal adult (18 years). But tbh majority of protagonists are around 18, it’s sort of turning into a “cliche”, for lack of a better word. Having a main character in a different stage of life than what’s typically portrayed is more interesting to me. Everyone has their preferences.

1 Like

My personal story they are ages 20-23 because they are collage but I prefer highschool ages

1 Like

Most stories I’ve read in the “genre” so to speak always have them in the 20+ the male always like 25-30 so I was trying to following it from a younger age and where the MC and the LI were similar in age.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.