Struggling with time overlays please help?

Struggling with overlays… I have a grenade that I want it to be entered from out of the screen onto a hand but I can’t seem to do it? I can’t get the overlay to even enter the screen… please help (line 280 on down)

Use all of the following commands.

&overlay GRENADE create
&overlay GRENADE shifts to 140 240 in zone 1 in 0
&overlay GRENADE opacity 1 in 0
@overlay GRENADE scales to 1.000 1.000 in 0

So if I were to want it to come in rotating at a specific spot Would I have to put it with AND in the same line or with “&” ?

I believe you can do either, but I would use the & method.

1 Like

Thank you, got it but how or what would I do it if I want it come straight from the left side as if someone is throwing it? Right now it comes from like the bottom of the left side? & how would I make it come in flying & rotating (spinning) at the same time?

You would need to start it at another spot and then shift it to where you want it.

And use the & one right after the other to have them happen at the same time.

Got it, & I’ve heard rotating is the hardest which Is what i’m trying to do but how?

You are probably going to want to use the center of the grenade as the anchor point so use 0.5 0.5. Time the rotating for however long the shift is or you can loop the rotation to happen a few times over the course of the rotation.

Dara Amarie’s overlay guide for more information:

I couldn’t do it, it comes as if it’s coming from the center of the screen as shown on the preview. I don’t know if i’m doing it right

Start it somewhere else on the screen when creating the overlay (put it where ever you want it to come from).

&overlay GRENADE create
&overlay GRENADE shifts to 140 240 in zone 1 in 0
&overlay GRENADE opacity 1 in 0
@overlay GRENADE scales to 1.000 1.000 in 0

&overlay shifts to 117 376 in zone 2 in 3
&overlay GRENADE scales to 0.090 0.090 in 1
@overlay GRENADE rotates 360 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 1

Something like this?

You’ll need to use a number other than 0 for your rotate so that it will appear to rotate. And you’ll need to either change the & on line 285 to a @ of add a line after it.
What is the error message it is giving you?

It’s of the overlay that’s waiting for to be approved, & I sorta figured it out actually but how would I make the rotating (spinning) faster since it spins sorta slow?

Just adjust the time. Play around with it a bit maybe starting at 0.5 until you get your desired rotation speed.

I’m not sure how since the shifting time and the rotating time must be the same in order to work

Oh I have a question on the rotating overlays…
So what does anchor point 0 0 do…
Actually from where exactly it gets titled…
And then same for center (how does it even get anchored in the center…
And same for the 1 1 anchor point…

Can you tell me how exactly it turns around?

Try something like this with a loop.

&overlay GRENADE shifts to 117 376 in zone 2 in 1
@overlay GRENADE rotates 360 anchor point 0 0 in 0.25 loop 3 times

To see where the points are, imagine the overlay being placed on a x-y grid. The bottom left corner will be at the lowest, furthest left point in the grid. This is anchor point 0 0. Alternatively, the highest point will be at anchor point 1 1 being the furthest from the bottom left corner. And you would find the center point of anchor point 0.5 0.5 in the middle of the 2 points.
There are of course points in between you can use by choosing an x and y coordinate between 0 and 1 for each as seen in the image below.

The anchor point is the point at which the overlay will spin around. This point’s location will not change its position on the screen.
So now to determine how the overlay will spin, imagine the overlay being a piece of paper on a table in front of you. Place one finger on your anchor point and use the other hand to turn the paper clockwise, never removing the paper from the table. This is how the overlay will rotate.

The image below is an edited version of that found on page 4 of the Placing & Animating Overlays guide in the guides section of the portal. There you will also find an animated GIF of how they rotate at the 3 main anchor points.

2 Likes

Thank you!!!
You explained it very well…
I have been very confused in using them that’s why I made my script in such manner in which I don’t have to rotate it…
I am literally bookmarking your explaination…
Oh… and when you rotate it from the center it will remain in that position in which you placed it but will rotate until you want it to stop…Is that correct??

If you anchor it at its center (0.5 0.5) then yes it will stay in the same spot and just spin in place. However it will not keep spinning forever. The overlay is only going to rotate once to the rotation number in the amount of time you set. So if you want the overlay to do a full rotation (360) in 2 seconds, the overlay will spin all the way around to 360 in those 2 seconds and then stop (ie. @overlay OVERLAY rotates 360 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 2). If you want the overlay to continue doing the same rotations, you will need to use a loop.
So if you want the overlay to loop 5 times total, have the overlay loop 4 times. (ie. @overlay OVERLAY rotates 360 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 2 loop 4 times).

Infinite loops do not work with rotating overlays.