Stuck in a bit of a cc dilemma

Okay, so I am currently writing my first story that I am actually considering publishing and I’ve been contemplating on whether I should provide the option of full cc for the mc. I envision my mc as black and truthfully, I want my readers to keep her that way (despite it not having too much effect on the story) however I fully understand that a lot of people prefer full cc. I don’t want cc to be the reason people don’t want to read my story but idkkkkk :tired_face:

(Any sort of advice would be appreciated)

5 Likes

i say if you have envisioned her black then keep her black. most people find cc annoying anyways. but if you’re adamant on wanting the reader to create themselves you can have them be a side character in your story, that’s usually what i do :heart_hands:

5 Likes

If anything you can maybe just encourage people to read it with how she is as you envision her the way she is . I know some people who will read it the way it is and others like being able to customize so it’s like they are in the story but it’s up to you about what you want to do .

5 Likes

It’s your story so you should do it the way you want. Write for yourself.

6 Likes

Hey, @KrazyKay! I hope you’re doing well.
I think it’s unfair for authors who are not giving the option of full cc and not having their stories read bc of this. I don’t want to offend anyone because I know some people want full cc.
But when authors write a story, they imagine the characters how they would like them to be, and that’s what makes them unique and special. And I think readers should accept them the way the authors are creating them.
But still, it’s your decision. And if you don’t want to put full cc, then don’t. You shouldn’t be afraid, because they are will be also people who will love it.
And besides, there’s always the option of limited cc.
All it matters is to write a story, that you will enjoy writing besides anything :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Take care,
Christina <3

7 Likes

so my opinions on this one is,

there is the very big amount of people who refuse to read anything without full CC.

do you prefer CC or not when reading a story, because not gonna lie, I see the same people sometimes who dont wanna give CC while refusing to read any story without CC. what do you prefer when opening a story?

and then are you willing to experience, insult and complain about your story because it has no CC, because people are like that.

absolutely CC is your choice. but is it worth it for you? can you handle the mean comments, personally I prefer no CC but I have it in my story because I dont have it well mentally, so I dont want mean comments over it.

6 Likes

Make the customization limited like I did! That way, she’s still black while she remains the way you envisioned her, with just a few changes.

I stuck with limited CC and I honestly couldn’t care less about rude comments or whether people drop my story or not. People out there, your audience, your friends will love it. We need good representation anyway. Keep her black. Remove certain features and hair/eyebrow/lip colors. Certain noses. I promise you won’t need to worry, write what you want, Kay. :heart:

3 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty smart never seen anyone do a side character cc before. Thank you for the advice and if you have published any stories mind if i read it?

1 Like

That is true, thank you!

2 Likes

You’re right, tysm!

2 Likes

Hiya Christina, yes, I’m well, hope you are too. Thank you so much for the advice, you’re totally right, I shouldn’t be afraid and just write for myself :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Me personally I rlly don’t mind if there is cc or not, sometimes im lazy and just leave the character as they are :skull:
And honestly, I can’t say I’m looking forward to the hate comments but at the end of the day ig it’ll happen.
Thank you for the questions to think about!

2 Likes

You’re so right, limited cc is a pretty good alternative. I’ll take that into consideration, thank you for the kind advice! :heart:

3 Likes

You’re very welcome! Hope you enjoy writing your story- I’d love to check it out.

1 Like

Can I add to the CC, for people who really want CC, those who usually refuse read with out, they can not compromise. its a shame really.

2 Likes

i dont sadly, i am actually writing one, where the reader is a side character in a comedy story and they’re just gonna be :sparkles: an enemy of progress :sparkles: for the main characters :rofl:

4 Likes

i know a lot of people have said many different things already, but i thought i’d contribute some of my personal experience with CC!

i agree with what a lot of people are saying here, if you envisioned her black, i can understand feeling conflicted about CC. however, there’s more people that want CC than those who don’t want it or don’t care for it. (i’m one of those who don’t care for it, because i’m lazy and don’t care to add all the details when i read. :rofl:) and here’s something i do, i always provide full CC in my stories but add secret bonus points if people choose not to customize my characters, especially the LI(s). :eyes:

and while limited CC is better than no CC, you’ll still get plenty of people complaining about it. to be fair, you’ll never please everybody… but it’s still nice when people don’t complain about every little thing. :rofl:

all in all, if their details aren’t necessarily important to the story/don’t actually contribute anything, then i say you should consider having customization. and remember that it’s YOUR story! even if you decide to not have any CC, you don’t want those angry people reading your story anyways. it’s those who support you no matter what that really mean something! :black_heart:

i wish you luck with your story!

and side note, this quote is so important! always write something you’d want to read, and make sure you’re proud at the end of the day.

4 Likes

I’d say limited cc or whatever you think would suit your story best. It’ll give you more motivation, from experience that’s what i’ve noticed and what has helped. Good luck on your story luv! x

3 Likes

I would say it depends on whether or not the story is a “you” story. If the reader is meant to be the MC, then I would say include full CC. But if the reader is meant to read along with the MC and it’s the MC’s story, then only provide CC if how they look doesn’t matter to you (which it sounds like it does matter to you).

4 Likes

Limited CC does wonders. Make certain features locked, others open (like hair colors, style, certain facial features) or anything that you don’t think is necessary. Most people will be okay with that, but yeah, the whole ‘stories need CC’ thing is so annoying :confused:

4 Likes