Stupid question about starting a story

So I’ve got my plan for my Thriller story but for the life of me I just don’t know how to start it :joy::joy::joy:

I think I want to start with a character speaking but don’t want it to come across as dull or boring, after all you need to grip your reader ASAP without jumping straight into action.
for example I was going to start off with a group of teenage friends hanging around the park late at night moaning about how dull school was and one of them is annoyed about their teacher giving them detention for the 4th time that week. But then I think it’s a little cliché.

Then I thought about the MC being in the library looking or a book and then finding an old book about the legend of the person the story is about. But then I feel I might be jumping the gun.

So much to do and so little time :joy::joy:

3 Likes

You should start as you want! :smiley:

I personally like the last idea. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with Apes, the fourth idea sounds pretty interesting - would hook your readers straight away

Moved to Share Feedback since this appears to be about story pitches and ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics. :wink:

Doesn’t matter if something sounds cliche. Cliches can be good if you make them your own. I like the library idea, maybe you could combine the two? The MC’s friend stopping by the library to see if they are heading home and them saying that they’re going to stay a while to look for another book?

1 Like