"Stupid" questions that never get answered? Get The Help Here!

Yes, you can, and you can use cinematic in spotlight as well although it comes up as a warning (you can publish with warnings)

Hello again! I’m having another issue. My story is about a girl who gets diagnosed with cancer and eventually, she is going to lose her hair. But something that doesn’t work is getting the character to change the hair to bald. I have tried things like

@NAME changes hair into Bald
and
@NAME changes hair into None

but neither work and both give me an error code saying that the hair doesn’t exist. I could easily do coding for a duplicate character and just replace the character when she is bald, but I want the player to be able to customize their look and I would still run into the issue of not being able to change the hair to bald.

Is there a different code I have to use? Or will I just need to have the player customize the duplicate character without the option to change the hair?

Thanks!

You need to create a duplicate character, unfortunately

1 Like

Alright, thank you!

Hello! Semi-complicated question:

What’s the most efficient way to check for multiple flags at once?

For example, in one section, my reader has to gather 18 flags to proceed. I’m pretty sure the only way to do it is:

if (flag1){
if (flag2){
if (flag3){

if (flag18){
goto proceed_with_story
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
goto minigame_hub

I was wondering:
a) Do you think that will work?
b) Is there a better way to format that? I know Donacode doesn’t accept something like “if (flag1 AND flag2 AND…)”

Thanks in advance!

it it is only about the number tht more efficient will be to use point system

you can than just make simple if/else

if (POINT = 18){
}
else {
}

1 Like

Ah, good point. :thinking: Thanks!

Hello! I have just started writing stories and am currently using spotlight! Please, how do I make a certain character do several animations in order without speaking?

1 Like

Well I don’t know if it works for spotlight or no but I do:
&CHAR is deepbreath THEN CHAR is sing_warmup_loop THEN CHAR is idle_awkward_scratch_loop

That’s just an example of what I would do

1 Like

I just tried this and it works! Thank you so much!

1 Like

weird warning:

@BETRAYED BRIDE walks to spot 0.848 -61

warning: Use the word “spot” before the numbers specifying the spot

how do I fix it?

1 Like

My preview won’t play any music or sound! I don’t know what to do because I still have overlays to be reviewed so I can’t listen or do anything on the app to hear this either.

Ummmm you’re missing some numbers I think

Hey, just starting and I’m trying to figure out why this is happening. The characters aren’t fully in the scene when they enter, they remain in these chest up only bubble. They just pop in and out on top of the background layer without ever interacting with it. I tried walking and standing animations and it still doesn’t work. Anyone know how to fix this? What am I doing wrong??

INT. OFFICE BEDROOM - DAY

transition fade in black

CHRIS stands upscreen left AND CHRIS faces right

ZACH enters from right to screen right

ZACH (talk_squat_wave)
Hey! What are you getting ready for?

CHRIS (idle_awkward_scratch_loop)
My big date!

But I use the @ correctly

Can try:

INT. OFFICE BEDROOM - DAY

&CHRIS stands upscreen left AND CHRIS faces right

@transition fade in black

@ZACH enters from right to screen right

ZACH (talk_squat_wave)
Hey! What are you getting ready for?

still in the bubble :confused: I wish the forums would let me show a picture

https:// imgur.com /a/bRpdOkc

I think you may have chosen to write in spotlight instead of cinematic, which is why they are in those bubbles. You can not switch from spotlight to cinematic

HOW TO: Spotlight Format :wilted_flower:

I am new here, can you tell me how to put my story on hold?

You can put the word “hold” in your story. So when you go to the main page for your story on Writer’s Portal, where your title is (at the top) write (ON HOLD) next to it. Feel free to write it in your description if you choose not to write it on your title. You can also mention within your story using a NARRATOR’s message.

In order to make sure people people don’t read your story, you can try 2 things.

1. Loop it (so have a message replaying)

label LOOP

NARR
This story is on hold. You can’t read it.

goto LOOP

Read more about gotos and labels: HOW TO: Labels and Gotos 🖤

OR:

You can password lock it, check out this thread: A Guide to Typed-in Choices

If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask :rose:

1 Like