Subcategories? Remembering choices?

Hi there! I’ve always loved Episode stories and recently I’ve decided to write my own ones! So I have a question: is it possible for me to write subcategories in a story? For example, let’s say the MC’s parents want to move somewhere far away from their home town and they decided to let the MC choose where they are moving to. Say there’s three options the reader can choose from, like moving to a big city, a farm or the beach. My question is: is it possible for me to make distinct characters for each location that the reader can choose to go to?
Maybe if the reader chooses to go to a farm there will be a love interest there that is not the same one that they would have encountered if they had chosen to go to the beach. Same thing for the story development and ending?

I have been reading about directing and remembering choices and I read something kinda like “when the reader makes a choice that’s it and if you decide to let them choose something else that previous choice won’t exist anymore”. Maybe I misunderstood what that person was trying to say, but what I understood by that is that if I create a story along the lines of that example above, the next time there are options for something else in my story, this location that the reader has chosen to move to kinda won’t exist anymore or won’t make sense anymore or the locations will overlap?

Like I said, I have never written an Episode story before and I have no idea what is possible and what isn’t…

I appreciate your help!

Ah, so what you’re talking about is a pretty big choice to remember, but you could do it pretty easily, you’d just need to be dedicated…

It would be down to using gains and if/elif/else coding in future episodes… Probably even labels too.

Something like

choice “city” {
gain city
[episode 1 for city here]
}
“farm” {
gain farm
[episode 1 for farm here]
} “beach” {
gain beach
[episode 1 for beach here]
}

Then in future episodes

if (city) {
[city episode here]
}
elif (farm) {
[farm episode here]
}
else {
[beach episode here]
}

So in the future episodes that is the first thing I’m gonna do, right? So that’s nothing floating around. That seems actually very doable, thank you! I just didn’t understand that part where you said I would probably need to use labels? What’s that?

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Yes exactly right.

This just depends on how extreme you’re going to make each episode as sometimes it an get messy having a whole episode inside the brackets. So a lot of people choose to use labels. Labels work like this

But it’s entirely up to you how you do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh that’s so cool!! Thank you so much! :slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries! :blush:

1 Like

Hey! Sorry to bother you, but I just saw @Dara.Amarie ‘s templates and I absolutely love the dating gender preference one: https://www.dara-amarie.com/choose-dating-preference
I will definitely be using this template or similar on the story that I’m creating.
I realized that @Dara.Amarie ‘s template code is very similar to the one you helped me with earlier today and I was just wondering if I can use the code you taught me along with @Dara.Amarie ‘s template and how do I do that, if possible. Are there other labels that I can use? I’m just very confused lol
Thank you so much for helping out!

1 Like

The setup is the same. You can change labels and dialogue to whatever you want.

1 Like

Exactly what Dara said. Labels and gains can be whatever you want them to be

1 Like

Thank you!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.