Suicide and Living

Well, not to throw the mood down a deep dark well, but my personal view on suicide doesn’t exactly correspond to what you described in your first post:

Although yes, some people might relate to this, I think most people commit suicide not because they see no point in living per say, but because they are exhausted of living a life of constant suffering and see no other way out. A lot of people simply cannot enjoy life because they have a chemical imbalance in their brains that either keeps them from feeling any kind of genuine and fulfilling joy, or that keeps them in a constant state of fear or in a constant state of paranoia, or in a state of other kinds of psychological suffering. Sometimes trauma or very difficult situations in their lives can also trigger suicidal thoughts and can sometimes add to those chemical imbalances. Those people feel as though they can no longer hold on despite all of their efforts to enjoy life as much as they can and they lose hope.

I do appreciate your message though, @jenna1012, and I also hope it helps someone out there. If anyone can relate to what I mentioned above however, feel free to contact me through PM if you need to talk and never hesitate to seek help: talk to your trusted loved ones or your doctor about how you’re feeling, find a psychologist/psychiatrist who is right for you (the first one might not fit you, and that’s ok, just move on to the next one until you find a professional whom you feel more comfortable with), and don’t be afraid to take medication despite the unfair stigma surrounding it as long as you’re being followed by a psychiatrist. Keep holding on and bon courage, as we say in French :blush:

4 Likes

Which yes i know about this i myself struggle with anxiety and depression. And I have paranoia. I have a chemical imbalance, I’ve been dealing with this for years. But also that paragraph was also refering to everyone.

you dont have to have hope to live life.

1 Like

I hope you’re doing ok despite all that. I was glad to read that you’re seeing a psychiatrist whom you feel comfortable with, that’s a huge step!
Each person dealing with these issues deals with them in different ways and experiences them in different degrees, which is why I felt the need to point this out. Not everyone can go on an adventure and make the most of life when they’re chained by these illnesses and disorders, and that’s understandable in their situation.

It all depends on how you define “hope”. In my view, hope is necessary for survival, so you do need it to live. Even the very slightest bit of hope can go a very long way. But if you fully lose it, that’s when things become dark.

3 Likes

let me ask you a quick question if u dont mind. have u ever had a mental illness or struggled with depression anxiety paranoia etc

2 Likes

BOO DONT KILL UR SELF!!! If you don’t go skydiving you could always be an inperational speaker!

1 Like

I don’t feel comfortable revealing something so personal to so many strangers on a public forum, but the short answer is yes. I’d like to avoid going into details about it, though. Hope that’s ok :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

ur fine i just wanted to make sure u actually knew how it felt before it got in to deep and stuff

1 Like

Of course, I like to know what I’m talking about before giving my opinion on stuff :grin: I still want to thank you for this post though, I’m sure it’s already helping some people and you’re frankly brave for putting your experiences out in the open like this. Again, I hope everything turns out well for you and everyone who’s concerned. Don’t hesitate to PM me if you want to talk~

1 Like

Thanks, same for you. If you need anything just pm me!

1 Like

I agree with this. Hope is very important. I’ve dealt with sucidial thoughts & depression in my life and it was hope-hope that things will get better, that I have to try to make them better by finding joy in life, by trying to be positive, by surrounding myself with people that I love, by doing activities that I love- hope kept me going and hope is so powerful :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Absolutely! And I’m so glad to read that you kept holding on and things got better for you! @JemU776, you’re an actual ray of sunshine :grin::sunny:

2 Likes

I’m happy for u, but for me personally I don’t need hope to live.

This is very true. I suffer from mental illnesses as well, which may have stemmed from trauma when I was younger. I don’t feel very comfortable sharing what happened to me, publicly, yet, but that triggered it. I keep my hope, because there’s a girl that I love, and I never want to leave her. And then there’s my family. My dreams. I want to pursue it, and not waste the years my mom spent raising me. I don’t want to throw it away, but… What happened is still in my mind, though I avoid it. I act tough. But I’m also vulnerable. My hope? Love.

Whoops, I went a little off topic there! But, yeah, I define hope, with love. If I don’t feel/have that, that’s when I become… suicidal.

6 Likes

I reread ur post, did i trigger something? Sorry…

1 Like

That is a great point! Why die when there are so much more amazing things you can do?

1 Like

This is really good! I hope this will help many others who thought of suicide and let them re-think their decision. Every single life is precious.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience, it always makes me happy to know that despite everything someone might be experiencing, they still have that little bit of hope left in them to keep going. Hope and love are such important parts of life, that’s what keeps us all going in my opinion, with or without mental illness.

It’s really interesting to read your interpretation of what hope is to you, I wish more people would give their interpretations as well.

I can definitely relate to this. It hurts to see someone you love, especially the person who birthed you, see you in a state of suffering to the point where you’d be willing to take your own life. She gave birth to you, raised you, loved you unconditionally in most cases; it’d break her heart into a billion pieces to have you gone. That thought alone has helped me immensely. I also have a much younger sibling, so to think of what my death could cause him gives me the strength to keep going. I have to be there for him, to help him when things get tough, to be an example… and for that, I have to stay here.

Anyway, I hope you keep holding on and things get better for you :heart: Fighting! :fist:
Don’t hesitate to PM me if you want to talk~

3 Likes

No, not at all! What happened when I was younger triggered my mental illness.

1 Like

Thank you, Ally. Your perspective on hope actually gave me something yesterday; I don’t know what it was, but something touched my shoulder and said, “Hey, it’s not just you, ok?” You know what I mean?

2 Likes

100% :blush: You’re not alone. I’m glad I was able to help, even just a little. Your perspective on hope also gave me something, it reminded me of all the people whom I love and who love me and make this crazy ride worthwhile. Thank you!

2 Likes