Support the author?

Hi, I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this, so I’m really sorry if it’s not! I’ve just been really curious about this. In a few stories I’ve read, at the very end of the chapter, there will be an option to “support” the author. If you click it, it just says thanks. What does this option actually do?

1 Like

It’s a gem choice, authors put it in the story themselves.

Only 15% of the users see the gems, so that’s why you can’t see them.

8 Likes

And to add to what @ELx said, they say it’s “supporting them” because it’s either a quicker way to unlock the payments program or it give people already in the payments a bonus

7 Likes

People in payments already actually get the bonus whether you pick the option or not (at the moment). So it’s an “easy” way of adding a gem choice to make extra money :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Lmao. Rake it up! :joy:

4 Likes

I believe it is so that for geting payed you have to have cartain amout of reads per time period. And if you have gem choices they requiere less…

so the more gem choices do readers pay the less reads in general you have to have to get payed by episode.

1 Like

Are you sure? I’m in the payments for like 6 months and I’ve never heard of this :thinking:

You need to have at least one gem choice in each of your first 10 chapters and then it’s a flat 25% bonus. I was in one of the original beta tests and still have a story that makes me a few extra cents lol (it comes through as a second payment so I know it’s a bonus based purely on reads).

2 Likes

I was specifically talking about the bonus you get if you’re already in the payment program.

If not, to enter you need 100k gem chapter reads in 60 days and I believe 300 choices need to be chosen. Since hardly anyone can see gem choices anyway, a “support the author” choice is probably seen as an easy way of adding gem choices without impacting the story.

2 Likes

25%?! this is crazy!!! I wish I knew it earlier :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Hey, I wanted to know how to add this choice in my story, as I’m starting my first story right now and I’m about to publish the first 3 chapters. It would be great a support choice :stuck_out_tongue:

Here you can learn how to add them in your story.

The thing is: none of my gems are taken when I choose to support the author… there’s either a glitch or something…

1 Like

How do you even qualify? 500k reads in two months? Is there another way?

Thank you :*

1 Like

it’s not a glitch! only 10-15% of users see gems in community authored stories

2 Likes

For writer’s payments? If you use gem choices it’s 100k reads and 300 gem choices in 60 days.

2 Likes

Ah ok thanks! I’m trying to get on it but needs readers :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Is it easier to have gem choices?

I guess it depends? I use them in my current story as a means of letting readers get more points (the points determine extra things like bonus scenes, longer episodes in some cases, etc.). Personally I use them because my dream is to make money as an author and I’d rather take the easy way than the hard way. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes