Supporting Authors with Gems... Yay or Nay?!?! 🤔

Hey Guys!! :wave:t2:

As a new writer I wanted to know how people feel about giving gems to support authors at the end of a story?

Do you guys actually do it??

Does it actually take your gems??

I can see why authors do it, if it supports their story and boosts their ranking etc! But me personally… I don’t have any gems and I don’t buy them so it makes me feel bad always clicking no! :rofl:

Therefore as a new writer I cannot simply put gem choices on my stories if I cannot give gems back to others in return!

What are everyone’s thoughts?!?! Any authors on here who do the gem choices and can tell me what it does and if they actually get many people giving them gems?

Danni :kiss:

14 Likes

Yes, it does actually take your gems to answer that question.

And yes, I try to support my favorite authors whenever I can—I want to support them as much as I can. I often buy bonus scenes, points, and early access is the biggest one. Occasionally I do tap their support buttons :slight_smile:

I do incorporate gem choices as a way to buy points, but I don’t do support buttons. I’ve never really liked them, but I may just start them—I’m not sure yet. I use them because my rank suffers without them. And while I don’t write for the rank, seeing such a low rank (we’re talking 17000s in genre, 66k overall) is extremely unmotivating.

I personally hate that authors even have to resort to this just to rank, because it’s such a dumb system. Smaller authors are never going to be recognized if ranks are determined by gems. Even with reads it was hard, now with gems it’s that much harder.

I have had people use gems on my story voluntarily :slight_smile: Some were completely on their own, some were because of a Gem R4R we did (meaning we read each other’s stories and spent the same amount of gems on them).

4 Likes
  1. I support the author w gems by buying a bonus scene, paying them to view an art scene or to get extra character points. Bc the support the author opinion doesn’t make much sense to me :sweat_smile: y would I pay just to support the author when I could pay for a reward which would support the author just as much, but also give me sum reward. I only select the support the author option when It’s an author I rlly rlly like.

2. Yep.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply!!

Completely makes sense…

As a new writer I know what you mean my 85 reads are nothing compared to say 50k plus hahaha!! And as you said it’s a shame that writers have to do the gem choices!

:purple_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply :kiss:
It’s nice to know there are other ways to support authors! I didn’t think of it that way! x

3 Likes

Yes it does take your gems and I do it for friends sometimes. So I will if I like the story.

2 Likes

Thank you :purple_heart:
I realise the ‘does it actually take your gems’ question is a bit of a stupid one on my behalf lol!
Of course it takes your gems Danni :rofl:

2 Likes

I would say that they are ok as long as you don’t make the reader feel bad about not giving gems
When I put the support the Author choice the options I always put are
Yes I love the story
And
Sorry I don’t have gems
Then I feel like this doesn’t make readers feel bad

2 Likes

That’s a really nice idea!! :blush:

3 Likes

I actually never use the gem choices :sweat_smile: Maybe that comes of as rude, but I don’t have many gems and I don’t read Episode Originals to earn gems, sooo yeah…

1 Like

I personally don’t like reading the episode originals much as I never have gems so the story is obviously not very good if you cannot pay 29 gems each time you want the story to go your way! haha!

Think I read some at the beginning as you had to unlock shelves, but I much prefer helping others out by reading their stories instead!! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Well, I spend gems to buy bonus scenes and early access. But to earn them I read episode originals while I have unlimited passes. They usually give them for new stories, so I just tap them through while I edit or do sth else.

1 Like

Personally I would always support authors with such choices I was not so broke :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I use suport the author or gem bonus scenes whenever I can. It is the least I can do to support those wonderful creators out there😅

2 Likes

I don’t really give gems.

2 Likes

Haha! Oh yes I agree, if I had them then it would be no problem giving them out! :grinning:

3 Likes

Good idea!! Suppose its worth reading some originals after all! haha!

3 Likes

That is really nice of you! :blue_heart:

3 Likes

I’d give to those authors who deserves it and i think a lot has earned .

2 Likes

Thank you for your honest answer! I just wondered how many people did or didn’t! Nothing wrong with either answer :purple_heart:

3 Likes