Talking about: Characters!

We have so many characters in our stories, right? But how many of those characters do we actually put an effort in making?

While writing, I believe, even if the plot is good, you need characters who seem real, who readers can maybe relate to and who aren’t just perfect like the gods.

There are countless stories where MC is kind and sweet and outgoing and has extremely good grades or my personal favourite, not, the golden boy of the school. He is on football team, he is funny, sarcastic, romantic, charming, lovely. Even in fantasy stories, writers sometimes make Mary Sues which I honestly hate very much.

Because in reality, no one can be exactly perfect and be everything. Everyone has to have some flaws. If someone is a bad boy, shouldn’t it make more sense for them to be isolated and not popular?

These are only my thoughts on the topic. I think a lot of episode writers do not plan their character’s personalities. This thread by @Marshia covers pretty much everything about how to plan out characters and avoid this, if anyone wants to use it.

What are your thoughts on the topic?

10 Likes

I see it like this: You give your character traits, I’ll use the examples Ambitious, Honest , and Soft-spoken. These traits can be great, being honest can build trustworthy relationships. At the same token though, you can be too honest and hurt a friend’s feelings. Basically, it’s all about the situations you throw at the characters and see how they react.

What some authors do wrong is make their characters react the same way for everything (usually it’s a positive reaction). This gives us boring, flat Mary Sues.

5 Likes

Yes, exactly! :clap:

1 Like

When I write a character, I usually start with a select few ideas about the character like their past, their unchangeable aspects of their personality, each character will be different if they have a similar past or similar traits. Each character thinks of things differently, so I often get all of this established in my head first.

Character’s family, culture, their traditions, their archetype, that all comes together and when you’re writing something, it comes naturally when you have all these things in mind. (when I say “you” in these btw, I mean “me” X’DDDD)

Here’s some archetypes I like keeping in mind. There’s many more, and characters can deviate a little from the pure archetype, still be that archetype while also being unique. Know what I mean? ^^

Jumping off simple things like this, and then adding complications and interpretations. If you make a “rebel” character, well their flaw is “crime”, it doesn’t have to be LITERAL “crime” that is their flaw. A rebel character could be like (I’ll use a very common, simple and TAME example) someone with colored hair and tattoos in a more conservative, modest area. It is against the norm, it isn’t as widely accepted, and it makes other people have some ideas about you before really knowing you.

So then to add “complications” to the archetype, well, maybe they are a bleeding heart and care about animals so tenderly, no one would ever expect that from them? Again, a simple, TAME example.

Then after you have that part, you gotta think of the goals and motivation of the character, or there’s no reason to like them anyway, even if you can relate to them. You might be someone with crazy hair, tattoos, love animals tenderly, however…that can’t be all there is to you. Maybe the character volunteers at a shelter and has to deal with some really sad situations with animals. Now add even MORE complications. A rebel is a character often of ACTION, so what if they wanted to try to DO something about people who hurt animals? Add something to the “crime” aspect, adding layer after layer of things like that. They could get another goal in the middle of the story. All of this adds to what the character is.

So that’s all personal, too, and not even all of it. That’s just scratching the surface. I didn’t even touch upon how this character behaves in social situations with other people, relationships, strangers, people that disagree with the character, what makes the character angry, what are positive traits and some fatal flaws?

There are many layers to a character, and many things about a character change over time as well, just depending.

…>.> Also, I’m sorry for the post. X’DDDD

6 Likes

This is awesome.:clap:

Like wow, I definitely see myself learning a lot from what you just said. It definitely does good to a story!

1 Like

I went to school for this sorta thing, lol ^^’

1 Like

It certainly seems to be paying off.

1 Like

:clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4:

I am absolutely adoring this! Wow, the depth you can give your characters? It’s limitless!
Also, it’s actually just really nice to know for your real life, too.

2 Likes

I agree ^^ I find often that if you are inspired from a real person anyway, the character often becomes a well, beloved character by many. However, if you idealize a person (in this case, the character), then they become TOO perfect, which is a bad, bad thing. Not a fatal flaw for a character, a fatal flaw for your entire story T.T

It’s important to remember that people aren’t perfect, and characters shouldn’t be either.

Also, avoid having many “flaws” that are “a positive trait to a fault”. For example, “selfless to a fault”, “independent to a fault”. As these aren’t real flaws and it still makes the character seem to perfect. It’s cool to have one or no “flaws” like this, but when these are the only flaws your character has, they just…fall flat. -_- No one cares about these characters (usually) X’DDDD

3 Likes