Talking about: Story Plot

I have seen in a lot and a lot stories, especially in romance genre that there isn’t actually any conflict or a goal.

A story plot has to have three things:

A protagonist: Around whom the story revolves.
A goal: This is what the protagonist needs to achieve throughout the story.
A conflict: This is the challenge protagonist needs to overcome in order to achieve their goal.

In most stories, there is a protagonist. She wakes up, goes to school, meets a love interest. She starts falling for him. They meet everyday and blah blah blah blah. I’m the end they get married and I am like, this is all good. But where is the conflict? What was the goal?

Nothing. Nope. Nada. And I am like ‘Whaaaa…?’

Like the whole story is okay, it’s well directed and everything. It has a main character but why is she the main character?

What are your opinions on this?

14 Likes

it sound boring. havent seen it that much myself, but it is also not the kind of stories i read

2 Likes

Isn’t the conflict usually the pre-existing blonde girlfriend of the love interest wanting to make MC’s life suck?

And the goal is transforming MC into a super hot babe so that love interest will love her back and clap back at the blonde girlfriend to defend MC

HAHAHAHAHA, kidding of course!

12 Likes

:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: According to the stories I have come across, I’d say sure it is.

5 Likes

I guess the conflict is the blonde, blue-eyed barbie doll mean girl who tries to get between the protagonist and the love interest :joy: and the goal is… to be loved? I don’t know :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

There’s usually some small conflict in the ones I’ve read e.g. the mc sees the love interest kissing the mean girl but doesn’t see him push her off or he breaks up with her cause he’s bad for her. But they still end up together without a major goal or aim.

7 Likes

Even so, it’s wrong on so many levels, don’t you think? Like why would we care to read a love story that has no plot. Maybe if along with the love story, there was a real problem, like MC is poor and needs to be able to be independent and successful, it would make sense.

4 Likes

I agree with the whole no plot idea. Tbh I think romance should be a sub plot in some stories.

4 Likes

Yes! Exactly. Romance should be a sub plot while there should be something else to actually achieve.

2 Likes

I agree. For example, Dirty Little Secrets by Cindy Gaultier is mainly about spies, mystery, the FBI, but there’s some romance added in :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t read the story mentioned, but from what you say, yes, that is what I mean. Romance is important, sure, but it can’t be the main goal of a story unless the MC’s goal is to make the love interest fall for her or something.

1 Like

Yes, and it’s kind of weird to have their only life goal to like, force their love interest to fall in love with her. It’s hard to write, and done wrong, it can make your MC seem creepy and stalker-ish :joy::joy:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

if it’s a romance story, it makes sense that the romance is the main plot. still, there should be some kind of conflict that initially stops the couple from getting together.

though if it’s an ex-girlfriend or any girl who wants the guy to herself… that’s just overdone and boring at this point tbh.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s overdone. I would’ve thought this would be a cliche, but I really haven’t seen many stories in which the obstruction is that they get together, but one of them has to move away somewhere so it ends up being a long-distance, and somehow they overcome it.

1 Like

i don’t think i have either. it might have to do with the fact that it’d be difficult to pull it off well? the long distance could get boring after a while… and many people would be annoyed that the couple are apart for so long lmao

2 Likes

Thank you for making this!

Honestly, i don’t understand the point of making the stories like the romance story example above. Because what’s the point of reading it? What makes the reader want to keep going. Most of the time the cliff-hanger would be something similar to Who was -insert bad-boy name- kissing? FIND OUT IN THE NEXT EPISODE like goddamn I don’t quite care. Like in mystery stories the goal is to save a loved one or to find out who the killer is but a lot of the romance stories are just showing nerd falls in love with bad boy, they makeout, he supposedly cheats, MC doesn’t let him explain and later on wonders why he didn’t explain, then they get back together, makeout again, and they live happily ever after. It’s really pointless to make a story that doesn’t have a goal MC is reaching for.

1 Like

Exactly! I know I said romance should be a subplot but it should always be a running theme if your story is a romance. In my romance story the conflict is the love interest is engaged to someone else and the mc has unresolved feelings for him. The main plot is something else but you can see their feelings develop as the plot unfolds. Most romance plots are overdone. I think mine is as well to a extent.

2 Likes

Ya, people will be like: CAN THEY JUST GET TOGETHER AND KISS ALREADY?! :joy:

3 Likes

yeah i agree that most romance plots are overdone to an extent, but it’s the execution that matters!

and your story sounds interesting… a romance story with a plot? be still my heart :open_mouth:

3 Likes