Tal's Coding 101 - Questions & Help With Directing

Its okay I was able to contact the person I saw do this and everything is alright but thank you for the advice. They will help me figure it out.

1 Like

My character gets invisible whenever i add this aniamtion (sleep_lay_uncomfortable_loop) but it is visible on other animation

This animation changes the place your character is onscreen, it is probably below your screen which is why you don’t see it. Try to change its location on the screen and see if you can see it.

THANK YOU… I’ll try and see :hugs:

1 Like

You wouldn’t happen to have the correct overlay placing/coding for the INT. CLASSROOM WITH WINDOW - DAY chairs and tables would you?
I know the overlays are available, but no matter how hard I try the overlays won’t stay in the correct places :stuck_out_tongue:
Managed to get my characters in the correct placing, just the overlays and duplicate overlays won’t stay where I put them :confused:

1 Like

I just checked, and Episode did an awful job with these overlays because they really don’t match their position in the BG! I unfortunately don’t have the right placement, but I already started doing it for you! I just didn’t finish because I have to go to sleep and have a deadline to a project I gotta work on, If you find the full code somewhere, let me know so I wouldn’t waste my time :blush: :hearts:

What I did so far:

&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM TABLE - DAY shifts to 135 -3 in zone 2
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM TABLE - DAY scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM TABLE - DAY moves to layer 10
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM CHAIR 3 - DAY shifts to 256 -2 in zone 2
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM CHAIR 3 - DAY scales to 1.162 1.162
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM CHAIR 3 - DAY moves to layer 2
&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR 2 - DAY shifts to 67 37 in zone 3
&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR 2 - DAY scales to 1.072 1.072
&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR 2 - DAY moves to layer 7

&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW TABLE FAR - DAY shifts to 14 -23 in zone 1
&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW TABLE FAR - DAY scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM CHAIR - DAY shifts to 104 1 in zone 2
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM CHAIR - DAY scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM CHAIR 2 - DAY shifts to 259 -1 in zone 2
&overlay INT. SCHOOL CLASSROOM CHAIR 2 - DAY scales to 1.000 1.000
&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR - DAY shifts to 201 0 in zone 1
&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR - DAY scales to 1.000 1.000

It’s based off of the code from this thread that is incorrect unfortunately:

1 Like

the back facing chairs are a nightmare but I’ve done all I can :stuck_out_tongue:
Took me 2 days but finally got the coding to stay in place, I downloaded and re-uploaded all the chairs and tables seems to work this way (bloody phaff I can tell you :confused: )

1 Like

I recommend zooming in on a part and trying to adjust the overlays, I struggle with that currently because of a previewer bug which is why it takes me too long :frowning:

Hi! I could use some help with coding.

I’m trying to create a scene where my MC is in bed and wakes up. I already have a background and an overlay duvet, but when I preview my story she doesn’t show up, it’s just an empty bed.

I’m new to this so I’m not great with zoning and spotting.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi! When characters lay down their spotting changes a bit, so even if she’s supposed to appear on your screen, she might be there, but you can’t see her. Try to take your zoom tool and zoom out and see if you can find them :blush:

I made them stand and I was able to find them :slight_smile:

But now I moved the Duvet to zone 3 to cover them and repositioned it by dragging it around the screen.
I copied the position given to me :
@overlay 6282616010113024_WHITE DUVET shifts to -76 -44 in zone 1
@overlay 6282616010113024_WHITE DUVET scales to 1.000 1.000
OVERLAY: 6282616010113024_WHITE DUVET
LAYER 3

And now I’m getting this error: Expected character or SCENE change. Found OVERLAY: 6282616010113024_WHITE DUVET instead. Did you forget to capitalize the name or close () around the animation?

This is what I wrote so far:

INT. BIRDSEYE BED with WHITE DUVET at layer 3
OVERLAY: 6282616010113024_WHITE DUVET
LAYER 3

@CAMILA stands screen right AND CAMILA faces left
@REBECCA stands screen left AND REBECCA faces right

@REBECCA is standup_neutral AND CAMILA is sleep_sit_neutral_loop

@overlay 6282616010113024_WHITE DUVET to layer 3 :blush:

Thank you !

Now it’s giving me a new error :
Wrong syntax specifying specifying coordinates try “to scale X Y” for example “scale to 1.0 100 100”

I’m so confused haha, sorry for bothering!

This was a godsend, especially for beginners like me. You are the real MVP for not only teaching us how to code but also for creating an easy-to-follow visual aid to go along with it. In short, you’re awesome😁

2 Likes
INT. BIRDSEYE BED with WHITE DUVET at layer 3
@overlay 6282616010113024_WHITE DUVET to layer 3

This should work. Is this how it’s written in your script?
PS- You specified the layer in the first line, no need for the last line at all to be written.

1 Like

Awww, thank you! I’m happy to help :blush: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hearts:

1 Like

Hey @TalGordin, I’ve been reading your story “Coding 101”, it’s so helpful. So, thank you for being the amazing teacher you are.
I know we haven’t got to the overlays part yet, but I’m trying to write a scene in my story, which contains ocean, scuba-diving, swimming, a cruise- I mean a few things related to the water. And I’m trying to use customized backgrounds and animated overlays for that so that the story looks more realistic. Can you please suggest me how can I do that? Thank you. :heart:

1 Like

Hi! Overlays are a really really long “subject” to teach, it’s not one command and we’re done. Overlays will be fully taught in the next lesson of C101, so I suggest that you either wait with that or try to use other existing guides online for now :hearts:

1 Like

Okay, thank you :heart:

1 Like

sleep_lay_uncomfortble_awaken and sleep_lay_uncomfortable_loop
these animations neither appear on the Animation Previewer nor while being added on the script