Tal's Coding 101 - Questions & Help With Directing

Hi Tal!

I’m learning coding as I play your tutorial and I’m at spot directing. The problem I’m having is when I scale and move a character and copy and paste into the script, the adjusted height is not saving even though I did save. I created a separate IG account where I posted a video of what happens since it can explain better than I can.

Should I post the video here or should I just tag you on IG?

3 Likes

Hi I’m wondering how you can make a character face another way so they turn around?(In advanced coding)And by the way your classes have really helped I didn’t know anything about coding before i watch your classes they really helped and I’m only up to episode 3. Thanks.

When they’re facing away from the camera, the “face direction” command is always backwards. So if you want them to face right, you’ll code “&CHARACTER faces left” and vice versa for the other direction.

2 Likes

If you tag me on IG I might reply faster, as you can see I barely enter the forums because school is a distraction, but you can also post the vid here!

1 Like

If you continue reading, it is explained how to change facing direction! I think it happens in episode 4 :grin::heart:

hey i added an art scene in my story and now i am confused about adding dialogue plz help

1 Like

Hi! I’m not quite sure what trouble you’re facing, but you should position your characters offscreen and adjust the speechbubble placement :grin::heart:

1 Like

Does anyone know how to make your own overlays on a chromebook? So stressed :woman_facepalming:t2: . Thanks so so so much if you can help me!

1 Like

try https://pixlr.com/

Thank you!!! It works <33

Sorry for the late response!

Ok I’ll tag you to show you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Thanks Tal :purple_heart:

Bump! :raised_hands:t5:

Hi Tal! I was wondering I’ve been trying to make my car drive off of the screen and make the characters follow at the same time (without a looping background). I’ve been trying to figure it out on my own and I’ve had no luck. Any idea how to do it?

1 Like

This is helpful, but what if i already have the overlay in the scene and i wanna drive off? i don’t know how to code that and i’ve been struggling

and i have my characters walking to the car and getting in. so that might be part of the problem

You will just have to spot direct them.

1. Place the characters and car overlay on the screen in their starting position. Copy the code from the sidebar to the script.
  2. Place them in their ending position (before getting in the car). Copy and paste the code into the script using “&CHARACTER walks to spot x y in zone z in s” (ie. &CHARACTER walks to spot 120 120 in zone 1 in 3".)
  3. Place the characters in the car using spot directing. Copy the code from the sidebar to the script.
  4. Place the car and characters in their ending position using spot directing. Make sure the characters are lined up with the car accordingly. Copy and paste the code into the script using “&CHARACTER walks to spot x y in zone z in s AND CHARACTER does it while idle_sit_neutral_loop” (Explained in the original post I linked you). Copy and paste the end code for the car into the the script using “&overlay CAR shifts to x y in zone z in s” (ie. &overlay CAR shifts to 120 120 in zone 2 in 3). Make sure the “s” in both the character’s “walk to” and the overlay’s “shift” match (ie. they should both happen in 3 seconds, etc.).
3 Likes

He Tal! Tysm for doing this :two_hearts:
This might be a really stupid doubt but I can’t seem to get it :joy:
So is it possible for music to be going on when a sound plays?
Even though I used music, no music is playing. Only the sound plays. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Hi! Yes, sounds and music can be played at the same time, I personally created a transition between musics like this once, by using one of the musics as a sound!
If you can’t hear the music, make sure that the volume for it is high enough and if it is, try sending a ticket to Episode. I recommend removing the sound and testing if you can hear the music, and let them know in the ticket so they can help you :hearts:

2 Likes