Tal's Coding 101 - Questions & Help With Directing

Hi! This is way too general for me to actually be able to help you. You need to master overlays and their animations for that! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks alot, it means alot to get help in such scenarios where not much online tutorials are available for the topic. Thank you❣️

1 Like

Ok. Thanks dear

1 Like

Hlo Tal
can you pls tell me how to move camera along with character from one zone to another?

1 Like

Hi! This is covered in Lesson 12 (available from episode 4) :grin: If you need to use zooms and pans at the same time you can also use what I teach in lesson 3 (available from episode 1) :blush::heart:

1 Like

Hi! Your coding 101 is very helpful. Now I wanted to ask that how can I zoom out to a whole bg? Like I can show my readers the whole bg without have to deal with the trouble of zones?

1 Like

Hi! You need to set your zoom % to somewhere between 1-99. Do know that it’ll leave black empty spots on the screen and everything will look super tiny, so I do not recommend this!

Yeah, I know that. Isn’t there any way to do it without have to deal with the black screen?

Unfortunately no, if you’re looking for a way to flip the phone 90 degrees and play horizontally, this is not a feature. Characters and speechbubbles aren’t something that can be rotated.

Hi Tal! Can you please help me with this?

Hi! There are “looping” backgrounds in the portal that do not loop. Episode did an oopsie years ago and did not fix it :grimacing: The only thing I can recommend is for you to loop it yourself using overlays. There are lots of tutorials for that on IG! :heart:

1 Like

Oh! Thank you very much for telling me! :blob_hearts:

Hi Tal! After reading through Coding 101 awhile ago I decided to start writing my story. Unfortunately I ran into an issue today. I’m trying to direct a scene where my character walks up to the mirror and looks at her reflection, but after walking up to the mirror, instead of doing the rear animation, she just does the default idle animation (facing forward). I reread your lessons on animations to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

This is the code I’ve written:

INT. ICE BATH GRANDMAS BATHROOM - NIGHT with GRANDMAS_BATHROOM_MIRROR_OL

&zoom reset
&overlay GRANDMAS_BATHROOM_MIRROR_OL moves to layer 1
&overlay GRANDMAS_BATHROOM_MIRROR_OL shifts to 205 0 in zone 1
&overlay GRANDMAS_BATHROOM_MIRROR_OL scales to 0.996 0.996
&MC spot 0.874 50 196 in zone 3 at layer 2 and MC faces left
&ALEX spot 0.874 -6 205 in zone 3 at layer 0 and ALEX faces right
&cut to zone 3
&zoom on 640 386 to 258% in 0
@transition iris in
&MC is dustoff_neutral_loop
@MC changes into MC_robe
@pause for 0.2
&MC walks to spot 0.874 209 196 in zone 2 in 1
&ALEX walks to spot 0.874 153 205 in zone 2 in 1 and ALEX does it while walk_neutral_rear and ALEX faces right
&zoom on 499 386 to 258% in 1
@pan to zone 2 in 1
@MC is idle_loop_rear and MC faces right

And this is what it looks like in the portal:

Is something wrong with my code or is this just a weird glitch? :confused:

1 Like

thanks a lot

After characters stop walking, they’ll automatically idle unless you tell them to do something else. So add to the end of this line the following:

THEN MC starts rear

So the code looks like this:

&MC walks to spot 0.874 209 196 in zone 2 in 1 THEN MC starts rear

This should work :grin:

2 Likes

This worked, thank you so much!! :blob_hearts::blush:

1 Like

bump…

1 Like

hi i want to make my character run into the scene how can i do that?

Hi! This is taught in the current published episodes of Coding 101 :blush:

1 Like

i actually got it! but i got this error when i put this sound in i am so confused how to correct it