Tappable Overlay Help. Please someone help

For my story Monster Castle on Episode 12, I have decided to do a Origin Story Mini game with tappable overlays. At first, I tried to do the coding for the Damion origin story button it did pretty well but then when I tried to code for all of the other buttons to be tappable, the other buttons couldn’t really be tappable except for the Damion origin story button. This story that I am talking about is used in ink, but I know that most tappable overlay stories are in limelight, but is there any chance someone can help me make all of the other buttons including the Damion origin story button tappable in ink? I didn’t get to finish the other buttons like that because somehow the writer portal only allowed the Damion origin story tappable.
This is what I have tried first in the script:
label story_continue
@zoom reset
@YOU is think AND YOU faces right
@speechbubble is 228 233 to 100% with tail_top_left
YOU (talk_handsonhips)
Well, may I hear about all of the monsters here in this castle’s origins, so I could get more of an elaboration?
@speechbubble is 200 389 to 100% with tail_bottom_right
JAMES (talk_happy_smile)
Of course you can, my darling [FIRSTNAME].
@JAMES is flirt_wink AND JAMES faces left AND YOU is blush AND YOU faces right AND JESSIE is idle_happy AND AJ is idle_happy AND RILEY is idle_happy
@cut to zone 1
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY create
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY opacity 0.9
@overlay DAMION BUTTON create
@overlay DAMION BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay RVV BUTTON create
@overlay RVV BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay TK BUTTON create
@overlay TK BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay JJ BUTTON create
@overlay JJ BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay DONE BUTTON create
@overlay DONE BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY shifts to 0 0 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY scales to 1.000 1.000 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION BUTTON shifts to -47 320 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION BUTTON scales to 0.640 0.640 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay RVV BUTTON shifts to 48 183 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay RVV BUTTON scales to 0.622 0.622 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TK BUTTON shifts to 118 320 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TK BUTTON scales to 0.658 0.658 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay JJ BUTTON shifts to -54 -5 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay JJ BUTTON scales to 0.730 0.730 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DONE BUTTON shifts to 130 14 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DONE BUTTON scales to 0.604 0.604 in 0 in zone 1
readerMessage Welcome to the Origin Story Mini game! Choose a tappable button to view the story
@pause for 0.7
readerMessage but if you press the done button, you will move on to the next scene so choose wisely.
@speechbubble reset
NARRATOR
Which Origin story would you like to choose?
tappable
“DAMION BUTTON” {
@overlay DAMION BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.3 THEN overlay RVV BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TK BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay DONE BUTTON clear
@overlay DAMION 1 create
@overlay DAMION 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 shifts to 160 232 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 scales to 0.064 0.064 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 shifts to -4 133 in 1.5 in zone 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 scales to 0.946 0.946 in 1.5 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 shifts to 164 234 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 scales to 0.046 0.046 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 shifts to -7 128 in 1.5 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 scales to 0.910 0.910 in 1.5 in zone 1
@speechbubble is 174 229 to 100%
NARRATOR
You chose Damion’s Origin story!
@transition fade in white 0.4
@transition fade out white 0.4
@overlay DAMION 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
“RILEY, VLADMIR, AND VELMA BUTTON” {
@overlay DAMION BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.3 THEN overlay RVV BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TK BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay DONE BUTTON clear
@overlay RVV 1 create
@overlay RVV 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 2 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 2 opacity 1
NARRATOR
You chose Riley, Vladmir, and Velma’s Origin story!
@overlay RVV 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 2 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
tappable “TESS AND KAREN BUTTON” {
@overlay TK 1 create
@overlay TK 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 3 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 3 opacity 1
NARRATOR
You chose Tess and Karen’s Origin story!
@overlay TK 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 3 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
“JAMES AND JESSIE BUTTON” {
@overlay JJ 1 create
@overlay JJ 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 4 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 4 opacity 1
NARRATOR
You chose James and Jessie’s Origin story!
@transition fade out white 0.
@overlay JJ 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 4 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
“DONE BUTTON” {
@overlay DAMION BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.3 THEN overlay RVV BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TK BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay DONE BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
goto story_continue_2
}
label story_continue_2
JAMES (talk_neutral)
Oh, [FIRSTNAME], AJ, and Riley, Jessie and I have another thing to show you three.
vs. This is what I tried to do recently:
label story_continue
@zoom reset
@YOU is think AND YOU faces right
@speechbubble is 228 233 to 100% with tail_top_left
YOU (talk_handsonhips)
Well, may I hear about all of the monsters here in this castle’s origins, so I could get more of an elaboration?
@speechbubble is 200 389 to 100% with tail_bottom_right
JAMES (talk_happy_smile)
Of course you can, my darling [FIRSTNAME].
@JAMES is flirt_wink AND JAMES faces left AND YOU is blush AND YOU faces right AND JESSIE is idle_happy AND AJ is idle_happy AND RILEY is idle_happy
@cut to zone 1
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY create
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY opacity 0.9
@overlay DAMION BUTTON create
@overlay DAMION BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay RVV BUTTON create
@overlay RVV BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay TK BUTTON create
@overlay TK BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay JJ BUTTON create
@overlay JJ BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay DONE BUTTON create
@overlay DONE BUTTON opacity 1
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY shifts to 0 0 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY scales to 1.000 1.000 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION BUTTON shifts to -47 320 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION BUTTON scales to 0.640 0.640 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay RVV BUTTON shifts to 48 183 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay RVV BUTTON scales to 0.622 0.622 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TK BUTTON shifts to 118 320 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TK BUTTON scales to 0.658 0.658 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay JJ BUTTON shifts to -54 -5 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay JJ BUTTON scales to 0.730 0.730 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DONE BUTTON shifts to 130 14 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DONE BUTTON scales to 0.604 0.604 in 0 in zone 1
readerMessage Welcome to the Origin Story Mini game! Choose a tappable button to view the story
@pause for 0.7
readerMessage but if you press the done button, you will move on to the next scene so choose wisely.
@speechbubble reset
NARRATOR
Which Origin story would you like to choose?
tappable
“DAMION BUTTON” {
@overlay DAMION 1 create
@overlay DAMION 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 shifts to 160 232 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 scales to 0.064 0.064 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 shifts to -4 133 in 1.5 in zone 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 scales to 0.946 0.946 in 1.5 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 shifts to 164 234 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 scales to 0.046 0.046 in 0 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 shifts to -7 128 in 1.5 in zone 1
@overlay DAMION 1 scales to 0.910 0.910 in 1.5 in zone 1
@speechbubble is 174 229 to 100%
NARRATOR
You chose Damion’s Origin story!
@overlay DAMION 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
tappable “RILEY, VLADMIR, AND VELMA BUTTON” {
@overlay RVV 1 create
@overlay RVV 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 2 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 2 opacity 1
NARRATOR
You chose Riley, Vladmir, and Velma’s Origin story!
@overlay RVV 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 2 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
tappable “TESS AND KAREN BUTTON” {
@overlay TK 1 create
@overlay TK 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 3 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 3 opacity 1
NARRATOR
You chose Tess and Karen’s Origin story!
@overlay TK 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 3 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
tappable “JAMES AND JESSIE BUTTON” {
@overlay JJ 1 create
@overlay JJ 1 opacity 1
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 4 create
@overlay TEXT OVERLAY 4 opacity 1
NARRATOR
You chose James and Jessie’s Origin story!
@transition fade out white 0.
@overlay JJ 1 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TEXT OVERLAY 4 clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
}
tappable “DONE BUTTON” {
@overlay DAMION BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.3 THEN overlay RVV BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay TK BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay DONE BUTTON clear THEN pause for 0.2 THEN overlay JJ ROOM OVERLAY clear
goto story_continue_2
}
label story_continue_2
JAMES (talk_neutral)
Oh, [FIRSTNAME], AJ, and Riley, Jessie and I have another thing to show you three.
This is what the tappable overlay buttons are supposed to look like:

Damion Origin Story Button

Riley, Vladmir, and Velma Origin Story Button

Tess and Karen Origin Story Button

James and Jessie Origin Story Button

Done Button (In case if you are done reading the origin stories)
Please someone help me with this and on how to make tappable overlays work in ink. I would really appreciate it gladly.

2 Likes

Notice: If it says I tried to mention someone’s name on the forums, I really wasn’t trying to do so, it’s just I have a character named James (@JAMES in the script) so please if anyone seen that I was just trying to mention my character named James in the script.

1 Like

Well the coding is the same for ink and limelight stories but tappables sometimes has issues if the buttons are too high or too low. Can you screenshot what it looks like in the previewer?

Of course. I can show you without the script and with the script:
Without script:
Screenshot_11

With Script:
part 1:

part 2:

part 3:

part 4:

And then the rest of the script:

1 Like

Ok, so it actually could be a case of them overlapping too. Is there a lot of transparent space around the overlays too?

Well when I was editing the buttons through a program called canva along with using my characters from episode, the buttons looked like this at first and all of the buttons at first had a white background behind the buttons:
Damion Origin Story Button :

Riley, Vladmir, and Velma Origin Story:

Tess and Karen Origin Story Button:

James and Jessie Origin Story Button:

The buttons I have shown in the first post were all having transparent backgrounds but when I have uploaded them to Episode, it looked like this:
Screenshot_18 Screenshot_19
But I actually think that might have been one of the reasons, but I don’t know if there could be more to it though.

1 Like

Yeah, that could be it. When you place the overlays, they are probably overlapping each other and so when you tap, it picks the one on the highest layer. Trying scaling them smaller and see if it works

1 Like

So ok. According to the pictures I tried to scale them smaller and more spaced out but then it kinda did the same thing, but I kinda thought that the JJ Room Overlay overlay effect I used could have ruined it so I don’t know if I should keep it or not.
This is the JJ Room Blur Overlay I have used as well:
Screenshot_27
Screenshots of what I have tried to do in the script:

Screenshot_26

Ok, so as long as you don’t make the blur overlay tappable, it shouldn’t affect anything. But now that you have scaled it smaller, is it working?

No I didn’t made the blur overlay tappable according to the script because I didn’t give the blur overlay a choice to be tappable i.e tappable “BLUR OVERLAY” { scene goes here}, but since I did made the other buttons smaller and more spaced out, it kinda did the same thing before with only making the Damion Origin story button be tappable which is why I’m probably thinking that the blur overlay that is behind the buttons which probably overlapped all the tappable buttons that was in front of the blur overlay could be the cause of why it is doing that but I am not sure if that is it.

But if that is the case I really don’t know if I should get rid of it or not.

Ok, another thing it could be also is the names of your overlays… I just checked your script again and they don’t match the names you uploaded them in the portal

1 Like

You have to use the overlay names for the tappable choice. I also noticed that you keep adding “tappable” before every overlay name. This creates multiple tappable choices. Tappable choices work exactly like regular choices, so all overlays need to be under just one “tappable”

tappable
“DAMION BUTTON” {

} “RVV BUTTON” {

} “TK BUTTON” {

} “JJ BUTTON” {

} “DONE BUTTON” {

}

3 Likes

So I went to check my script and I tried name all of them based on the way I named the overlays in the pictures below, then when I tested the Tess and Karen button, it actually worked (even though i need to scale and shift coordinate the overlays of when you select Tess and Karen, James and Jessie, and Riley, Vladmir, and Velma), even with the other buttons it worked perfectly fine doing this:

Screenshot_30
Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it.:innocent::smile:

1 Like

No worries, glad it’s all sorted

1 Like

Oh yeah. On one of my last comments , I just realized one of my mistakes on that and I have corrected it. But thank you for helping me on that as well though:smile::innocent:

Closed: Marked as solved by op @Tabitha_Williams_3 :v: